Thread: because i have to

Default because i have to

I don't want to tell anything about myself (yet).
    I think it's a shame your forceing people to do so.
    Your forum can easily do without forced greetings.
    Hope your taking this message serious.
    I'm sure i'm not the only one.

Hello abdl83 and welcome to the group.

I am sorry that you feel this way, but still let me say Welcome to the group.

Quote Originally Posted by abdl83 View Post
    We don't force anyone to do anything they don't want to do. We are a support group and as such, like to know a little about each other to relate to them better. For example, my friend egor and I both like to cook and we exchange ideas on all aspects of cooking, he more so than I. I also like movies and reading. Any non-abdl interests you would like to share would be fine with us. As egor said, welcome to the group and we at least hope to see you participate in the forums.

When you enter a group of people it's just common courtesy to introduce yourself so people know who they're talking with. If you feel this is forced on you, you can still join other communities and websites where people care less about being polite to eachother and avoid just being another random nickname.

With that said, welcome aboard.

I too felt a little uncomfortable when I had to introduce myself, preferring the anonymity of being a lurker.

When I finally did post my introduction, however, I got some really nice responses from the kind people on this site. This made it easier for me to participate in the group and become an active member and helped reduce my own sense of isolation. I wasn't planning to post on this site, but now there are times when I can't shut up, much to the dismay of other members, I'm sure.

First of all, you don't have to say anything you don't want to tell us.

Take your time and jump in when you feel like it.

As someone who shared your anxiety about being forced to post an introduction, I'd just like to say welcome to one of the friendliest groups in the world, and I hope that we will hear from you now that you're past this hurdle.

If it means anything, I agree with you. When I joined the first site for this community, such rules were not in place and I lurked on and off for years before I was finally ready to have something to say. It seems to me like the number of people we might entice by the approach we use now are dwarfed by the ones we irritate or the ones who irritate us with required low value posts. Still, it's a pretty solid community and as unnecessary hurdles go, it's a pretty small one. Talking with others can be very helpful and I hope you'll eventually take advantage of the opportunity.

I'm sure being forced is not the intention of this website, you don't have to put the most intimate details of your life on here, just an approximation of where you are, your hobbies, why you are here.
    I've only started making friends and chatting very recently, but it has taken over ten years to do so. I realized that the internet has millions, nah hundreds of millions websites.
    If anybody you know finding out about you is your biggest worry, take it from me, don't (just don't splash you face around - be clever).
    The chances of you ever being found out is if minute, and if someone does find out, ask them why they were searching for this kind of site, there probably the same as you.

I don't make site policy, but I trust those who do, I have differed in my opinion on certain points, but
    I trust in the vision of our founder and our administration. They made Adisc into what it is.

Perhaps they could have a policy that upon account activation and initial registration, including an initial post in Greetings, inactivity would simply cause a status shift to "member/lurker" Perhaps you could suggest it in Admin stuff. You have an official voice now, after all, and it is entirely up to you as to how you use it.

Be seeing you.