Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, I found some baby cloth diapers in the attic...

Default So, I found some baby cloth diapers in the attic...

I might upload pictures later.

I wondered if anyone here knew how I should fold baby cloth diapers into something wearable and usable, or if anyone here knows how I can make homemade plastic pants. Nothing in the Wiki on either of these topics. Any advice would be appreciated.

Go to a fabric store and buy something that is 100% polyester or vinaly, these make good plastic pants.

I personally recommend vinal because ive always been scared about using the polyester. Than you want to put some elastic, enough to go around your legs and than your hips, and than some.

Than sew it all together, I was going to do all that but than i found a store in my area that sells plastic pants.... so now I'm good

I made my first plastic pants from a shower curtian and "tighty Whitey" waist & leg elastics. I used my moms iron to heat seal the seams.

Nam

Very ingenious, Nam. I also used a shower curtain for my first, home-made diaper covers. I cut the plastic sheet into rectangles that were just slightly larger than the cloth diaper, then I just pinned them on when fastening the diaper with diaper-pins. The plastic sheets did not last long and did not really prevent leaks at all, but at the time it was the best I could do. A poor substitute for real plastic pants, but they were better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nam Repaid View Post
    I made my first plastic pants from a shower curtian and "tighty Whitey" waist & leg elastics. I used my moms iron to heat seal the seams.

Nam
    That's pretty cool, you're like the MacGyver of DL's.

I'd love to see the final product, and a 12-step picture guide of how you did it.

ask your mom how to fold them, she prolly knows!

dprdinky

Fold into thirds lengthwise. Then "fan" out the back where you will lay on them, then pull them up through your crotch. It pins don't attach very well at this point you may have to fan out the front as well. Make sure where the diapers meet in the crotch area remain folded in thirds for extra padding there. You can usually take several baby cloth diapers together to make them much thicker than just 1 of them.

Quote Originally Posted by babyemo View Post
    ask your mom how to fold them, she prolly knows!
    I'm a 16yr old who doesn't babysit and doesn't have baby siblings. How do I fold baby diapers to fit someone as large as me?

....that sounds good. >.>

Quote Originally Posted by diapeybabybrian View Post
    That's pretty cool, you're like the MacGyver of DL's.

I'd love to see the final product, and a 12-step picture guide of how you did it.
    Thanks! I get the "MacGyver" compliment in many different situations, I a bore tinkerer. I hate to admit though I've never seen the show.

I made the shower curtian pants when I was 17. I'm 49 now so their long gone. Fetware.com makes them for me now. I cut out the plastic in a hourglass shape based on my measurements with extra for a few towels. Then I folded them over and heat sealed the sides. I put the elastics over the waist and legs then folded the plastic over and melted it back to it's self. Use a new curtian, practice the heat sealing a lot first, its hard. Use a low heat and turn it up a little at a time untill it works. too hot it melts right through and sticks to the iron. I rember using some kinda mini ironing board thing my mom had for sleaves or pant legs to press it against. My first couple tries didn't end well.

Nam

I don't think the baby cloth diaper will fit you folded, but if you have a 30" waste or smaller, it will fit if you pin just the corners. I still sometimes do this,as using real baby diapers is a turn on for me. You could double diaper as this would give you more absorbency. If there were pre-fold diapers as well, you could put them in the regular cloth ones and that would work.