Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: folding prefold diapers

Default folding prefold diapers

I just got some prefold diapers today. and wondering how all of you all fold your prefold diaper (if you use them) I found a few folds on google searches
    1) newspaper
    2) jelly roll
    3) bikini
    4)angle wings.

So far I found for me (and the prefold I got) that the newspaper fold will work very well (until I loss some fat) I was shocked at how comfortable a modified jelly roll was (modified by folding the front of the diaper down about 2", then doing the standard jelly roll)
    I found the kikini twist to be uncomfortable for me, not sure but I would think it would be uncomfortable for a baby to, the way I felt it pull and tug at the various parts of my body down there, it just seems mean to do that to a baby. the butterfly was ok, but it was no where near as nice as the jelly roll. So how do you all fold a prefold diaper.

For those of you that don't know the folds listed above see Folding a prefold :: Diaper Pages - Karen's Cloth Diapering Site

Hi I had a post about How to better fit cloth squares within this article there is a link to a site for a lot of different folds.

Check it out and hopefully it will help you.

I use the angel wing fold with two medium twill baby-pants diapers. I also agree with the bikini twist. It's a female-oriented fold anyhow, so sounds right it'd not work too well if you're a male.

I buy pre-fold diapers so I don't have to fold them. I buy night time weight gauze which are very thick. I just pin them corner to corner. Then I wear the high top, Leakmaster plastic pants. I wear size small. I do have several medium sized pre-folds, and I fold the sides inward, and the top, but I find the smalls work better for me because I don't have to fold them.

I like the Angel Wing and Jelly Roll folds, but use the Angel Wing far more often. In situations where the diaper is a bit big (I have quite a few different prefolds), I usually fold the excess length in from the back before starting on either of the above folds. Seems that a lot of sites recommend putting the excess length in front for males, and I did that for a while, but I eventually decided that having that massive bulk of padding in front was less comfortable.

I rarely wear during the day, but for sleeping I use the newspaper fold with three large homemade flat diapers. I feel the newspaper fold positions the most bulk up front where itís needed during the night.

robbw

I figure prefold means prefold. Mine fit so I don't have to fold them.

When I wear cloth diapers in the daytime I prefer the bikini twist, it is more absorbent down there and the bulk is hidden when I sit, stand or walk around. At night, I use the newspaper fold because it provides more bulk on the sides and there is less chance of leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by robbw View Post
    I figure prefold means prefold. Mine fit so I don't have to fold them.
    Hehe... Well, you'd think! But even the old 1960's/70's packages of Curity-brand baby prefolds show how to fold the front narrow before bringing it up between the legs. If you don't do this, then you end up with a spreader effect -- hard to close your legs once you've pinned/fastened everything. And then, eventually, it just gets all bunched up in the folds of your crotch. Better to do a little folding than let the diaper do its own thing down there, IMO. A disorganized wad of fabric ain't too comfortable to sit on!

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    Hehe... Well, you'd think! But even the old 1960's/70's packages of Curity-brand baby prefolds show how to fold the front narrow before bringing it up between the legs. If you don't do this, then you end up with a spreader effect -- hard to close your legs once you've pinned/fastened everything. And then, eventually, it just gets all bunched up in the folds of your crotch. Better to do a little folding than let the diaper do its own thing down there, IMO. A disorganized wad of fabric ain't too comfortable to sit on!
    I've not had that happen to me. I do like the feeling of bulk between my legs, but it's not excessive. But like I said, I buy the small size, and with a 32" waist, it works well for me.