Thread: Useless Weather Alerts

Default Useless Weather Alerts

Ok, so here in this thread we name useless weather alerts, and how often they are issued. Also, post USEFUL alerts to compare, and to see which ones people think are useful. And yes, I do want to be a meteorologist when I go to college.

Severe Thunderstorm Watch: Easily one of the most useless weather alerts, they issue it pretty much every time it rains.

Tornado Watch: Another pretty useless alert, but if a warning is issued, it becomes INSTANTLY useful.

Flood Watch: Once again, they issue this one if it rains. Very rarely do they give out a warning.

Tropical Storm Watch: This means that you're like, within a billion miles of the nearest tropical storm. The meteorological definition for this alert is: Tropical Storm conditions are possible within the next 36 hours.

Almost everything else is useful. Let's see what you guys come up with. Merry Christmas/ Happy Hanukkah/ Happy Kwanzaa/ any other holidays in the month of December. (Does anyone here actually celebrate Kwanzaa? It seems like a pretty rare holiday, if you ask me.)

The truly useless one is the Wind Chill Advisory, this happens when it is cold and windy.
    Followed closely by the Winter Weather Advisory, which means that it is snowing out.

"And Channel 34290853986453908329 has Santa on the phone here, he says he's coming across the DMZ in Korea..."

Yeah.

Severe Thunderstorm Watch: Easily one of the most useless weather alerts, they issue it pretty much every time it rains.
    Here in Wisconsin they only issue this when there is thunder and lighting. Oddly enough we hardly ever get Severe Thunderstorm WARNINGs.

Tornado Watch: Another pretty useless alert, but if a warning is issued, it becomes INSTANTLY useful.
    Actually this is a very useful alert. It means that the conditions are right for a tornado to form. And that it's not the best of ideas to go out and go shopping or be jogging in the rain. By the time it turns to a Warning the alarms will be off and you need to get shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    Actually this is a very useful alert. It means that the conditions are right for a tornado to form. And that it's not the best of ideas to go out and go shopping or be jogging in the rain. By the time it turns to a Warning the alarms will be off and you need to get shelter.
    Beat me to answering that one!

Another warning that turned out to be USEFUL was (I think) a high wind advisory or severe weather advisory. My weather radio went off earlier in the year at 3am. I watched a wall of wind work its way across the state, until the satellite TV went out at 3:25. At 3:30, the house was slammed with 87mph winds. Scary stuff, but because it triggered some kind of a warning (that I'd configured the weather radio to wake up and start yelling about), I had a half-hour of notice with which to grab my lockbox, head downstairs into the kitchen, and pull the cat into a pillow-mattress-blanket shelter.

EmeraldsAndLime

My region often has severe thunderstorm warnings, but rarely does my specific vicinity actually get the full force of them.

Mako

Quote Originally Posted by Valentine View Post
    The truly useless one is the Wind Chill Advisory, this happens when it is cold and windy.
    That one is a bit important where I'm from. It can get so cold that being outside with exposed skin to long can cause harm. Different country, so your standards are probably different.

Frost warnings are usually pretty useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    That one is a bit important where I'm from. It can get so cold that being outside with exposed skin to long can cause harm. Different country, so your standards are probably different.
    It can get that cold here, Sunday the windchill was around -32C. Of course you could hear the wind howling and tell that it was extremely cold.

Frost warnings are usually pretty useless.
    Not if you are a gardener.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentine View Post
    Followed closely by the Winter Weather Advisory, which means that it is snowing out.
    To the credit of the Winter Weather Advisory warning, it's actual a very necessary weather alert in the south. Last winter it snowed in Atlanta (and when I say "snowed" I mean that frozen precipitation actually managed to not only stick to the ground but accumulate to about half an inch). Well, that tiny bit of snow shut the state down (as it always does). In Atlanta I could hear ambulances speeding throughout the city all day because people kept getting into wrecks so much. The highway was a complete mess. People were advised to not drive. People stocked up on food for fear of being snowed into their houses.

Seriously, Georgia is a state where we get snow days because the news says that there might be a chance of some snow. And I'm pretty sure that the governor gets emergency briefings that go along the lines of:

Governor's aide: "Mr. Governor, the meteorologist is here to see you now"
    Governor: "Thank God, send him, we need to know what we're dealing with"
    Meteorologist: "Good evening gentlemen. As you've no doubt heard parts of the state are under threat of snow. Now..."
    G: "Listen, I don't speak your smarty-pants scientific lingo. Tell me, in lay man's terms, just what are we looking at here?"
    M: "Um, well...you know how it rains sometimes? With water falling out of the sky? Well, when it gets cold enough instead of falling out of the sky as liquid water the water falls out as ice flakes known as snow"
    G: "I see...wow...so, what would this look like? What's going to happen?"
    M: "Well, you know what the inside of your freezer is like?"
    G: "Yeah"
    M: "The entire state is going to be like that"
    G: "...God help us all..."

But as for dumbest weather alert...I believe there's a "high pollen count" alert isn't there?