Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Social media, communication gone too far?

Default Social media, communication gone too far?

Social media, although great for keeping touch with one another, can in cases such as this reveal great personal secrets.
    What is worse, more often than not you don't even have control over the information once it's out.
    In this case, the Guy's girlfriend posted in without his knowledge, and now it is circulating on all sorts of sites, most of which are far from private (I found this on Hugelol).

So my real question is, how do you feel about the inherent lack of privacy that comes with social media.

Also, if you got a minute or 10, I would very much like to divert your attention to this as well:

Last edited by Near; 15-Nov-2013 at 00:38.

While I agree that eventually this may cause issues, I don't see it being a major issue when it's easy to turn off on Google. (They're both the worst violators of privacy, and the best advocates. Strange company...)

That said, sometimes finding what someone likes works. For the masses, it makes it convenient, for those who value a good debate, or learning from another angle, not so much.

Simple Solution: https://history.google.com/history/settings?hl=en

IIRC, your Google account still has this disabled by default, unless you agree to it. (It prompts you whenever you install a Google product, with "I agree" checked. Sort of like a weak "Well, you said..." kind of defense)

I agree about what Eulogy said in general about how to handle this.

And in all honesty, the only thing I can add, bluntly said, is that in the first place it's his own fault for making and keeping this picture on his phone. Why'd you do that? Someday you may have to exspect certain consequences, whatever it may be.

This is kind of as old as the internet itself, at least it's common knowledge since the time everyone has been able to make digital photographic images. Or don't you remember at least one story of how someone had some naked pictures of her/his ex girl/boyfriend and shared them with too much people. Okay not that much on social websites some years ago, but they found their way via email, IRC and later instant messengers.

Social communities like facebook, g+, all those we had, and all that will come are... kind of stupid, in my honest opinion.
    But what they do is simply making everything more transparent, in this case a mix of light-headedness and foolishness, nothing else... as harsh as it may sound.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by wilddog View Post
    So my real question is, how do you feel about the inherent lack of privacy that comes with social media.
    In pretty much the same way as the guy in the video does. I don't have a Google+ account, my web browser deletes cookies and cache files automatically, and I block scripts from running on a lot of sites.

I've no idea whether they can be trusted, but SmartPage.com is a search engine "enhanced by Google" that purports to give you a lot more privacy when you search: https://startpage.com/eng/top-ten-ways-startpage.html

As for Facebook, when I signed up I asked some of my friends what their "Facebook name" was and was dumbfounded when they laughed and said that "obviously" they'd used their real names. What really turned me off was when they brought in photo tagging. Now anyone can upload a photo of me and tag me in it, permanently (I assume you can't be sure that the record is ever deleted) associating me with my face. Face-recognising CCTV cameras are now a reality, so (in theory, with my paranoia running away with me!) I could be tracked and monitored (300 times a day in London) as I go about my daily business. Argh! Where's my tin foil hat!

Anyway, I don't use Facebook any more, and I've never understood the point of Twitter (except as an advertising/marketing platform).

Quote Originally Posted by daLira View Post
    And in all honesty, the only thing I can add, bluntly said, is that in the first place it's his own fault for making and keeping this picture on his phone. Why'd you do that? Someday you may have to exspect certain consequences, whatever it may be.
    Isn't that a little bit like saying that, if you dress like a slut, you deserve to get raped? I mean... not as extreme, obviously! But... people have a right to privacy.

If it was even real (I think half of these stories are made up for the lols), I'm shocked that a woman would find a photo of her husband-to-be... and her first thought is to release it to the public and bitch about it?!

I think this has been an issue for about as long as the internet became widely used. People can dig up, oh say, off the of my head, a video you took of yourself practicing your sweet light saber moves, and suddenly you're now made fun of from various corners of the globe. It is a bit more troublesome on places like Facebook, though, where your specific network of friends and acquaintances and family can all personally see you humiliated before the rest of the world - if it goes viral.

This is a risk we all take if we take pictures such as this. It's just best to lower the chances of things getting out by only sharing with people you super-duper trust, and always password protecting your phone/tablet/computer whatever.
    Last edited by Near; 15-Nov-2013 at 00:38. Reason: Removed deleted quote

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    Isn't that a little bit like saying that, if you dress like a slut, you deserve to get raped? I mean... not as extreme, obviously! But... people have a right to privacy.
    No, not in the least. Being victimized is a different thing, i.e. looking for the reason why the criminal did this, in contrast to not being private actually about something that's "strange" in our social standards.

The only thing you could ask is the old question if our social norm is faulty for having a laugh about ab/dl's. But that doesn't change anything now, obviously he didn't care for his privacy that much yet ;), or as I said: the classic case of being light-headed, since he didn't make sure only people he trusts or just himself would have access to this picture. Besides that the trust itself is still a big risk in hindsight.

Quote Originally Posted by daLira View Post
    No, not in the least. Being victimized is a different thing, i.e. looking for the reason why the criminal did this, in contrast to not being private actually about something that's "strange" in our social standards.

The only thing you could ask is the old question if our social norm is faulty for having a laugh about ab/dl's. But that doesn't change anything now, obviously he didn't care for his privacy that much yet , or as I said: the classic case of being light-headed, since he didn't make sure only people he trusts or just himself would have access to this picture. Besides that the trust itself is still a big risk in hindsight.
    But... the picture was on his own private phone! (Oh -- looks like the link to that story was removed)... And the person that you say he shouldn't have trusted was the woman he was planning to marry! I tell you what, if I ever get married, I'd hope to god that, if my wife found out anything personal about me, she'd consult me first and keep it confidential... not post it for the public to gawp over!

I personally think that the best thing you can do is to not trust the internet with all your quirks and characteristics. Likewise, I think that he had it coming to keep something like that on his phone, something that a harmless person may pick up and read through. But in the same regard, its also privacy so she is at fault for invading his privacy and posting that on to the internet, espescially facebook.

In response to the video that was posted. I personally think that Google +, FB and somewhat Twitter all have their faults but the difference between G+ and the others is that outside of a few things that you can do with Twitter and FB outside of their particular website, G+ is almost becoming a monopoly that wants everyones profile and everyone to join. They have made serious changes to Yt in the past years that I do not think for the better. But I agree I think that we should just think before we post and dont use G+ (sorry G+ lovers lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Naleas View Post
    I personally think that the best thing you can do is to not trust the internet with all your quirks and characteristics. Likewise, I think that he had it coming to keep something like that on his phone, something that a harmless person may pick up and read through. But in the same regard, its also privacy so she is at fault for invading his privacy and posting that on to the internet, espescially facebook.

In response to the video that was posted. I personally think that Google +, FB and somewhat Twitter all have their faults but the difference between G+ and the others is that outside of a few things that you can do with Twitter and FB outside of their particular website, G+ is almost becoming a monopoly that wants everyones profile and everyone to join. They have made serious changes to Yt in the past years that I do not think for the better. But I agree I think that we should just think before we post and dont use G+ (sorry G+ lovers lol)
    One of so many reasons, that I am not on any of those sites...call me paranoid or what have you...but, I see no benefit, and only compromise... -Marka

acorn

I think that the problem with privacy on the internet is growing exponentially daily. It is no longer a case where you can ‘opt out’ as you are going to be ‘opted in’ by your friends on any networking sites. On the likes of face-book you do already have a presence there whether you are a member or not. A classic example is, your friends will blog about the birthday party, post pictures and name those depicted. The mere fact that you do not have a ‘sign-in’ on face-book, simply means that you cannot effectively monitor your presence on there.

I recall some time ago that yahoo and google were brought before an American congressional hearing over their ‘internet shaping’ antics in collusion with Chinese government. When I sit down and think back to that now, it would appear that congress were not remonstrating with them, they were only looking for pointers for their own plans. All you have seen thus far is the dawn of a new age, where the word privacy is but a redundant concept - it would be prudent to be fearful for the future.

It might be an interesting piece of trivia to others;

• In my local police station there are two officers whose sole job is to monitor social networking sites. Their access to your page is not limited by your security restrictions.
    • In Ireland all these station’s carry relays for the four phone carriers. Routinely search warrants are not sought to eavesdrop on mobile communications. You as the end user are left totally unaware when your calls are being monitored.

Alone, these two statements of fact should be enough food for thought, for now.