Thread: Egg Nog Recipie

Default Egg Nog Recipie

Hi folks

my parents are pretty much into the "national lampoon's christmas vacation" movie. My brother and I bought my mother the egg nog glas that's in the movie.

Now they want to try an egg nog recipie but overhere in Germany it is pretty hard to get a good recipie for it. They divert in how it is made and what's in it (Rum, Whiskey, both, how many eggs etc.).

I hope you can help me.

Greetings
    Ank

Egg nog is less about recipe and more about technique. If you want recipes, just type Egg Nog recipes into google or Food Network. If you're not sure about picking out a recipe, stick with something by a celebrity chef with good reviews. The difficulty with technique is you need to heat the eggs enough to cook them, but if you aren't careful you'll scramble them. In general, always have 3-4 times the amount of ingredients you think you'll need. Egg nog is a recipe you'll often have to throw out and start over with. And once you get good, you're going to want seconds. At the end, always run your eggnog through a sieve to remove any bits that did scramble- there will inevitably be a few.

Here's a good video. I'm not necessarily suggesting this recipe, but it shows the technique well.

There are recipes out there that don't cook the eggs, but claim to "cook" them with alcohol. I'm a scientist and I've worked with foodborne pathogens. Cooking egg nog with alcohol doesn't work. Don't trust recipes that tell you this is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ank View Post
    Hi folks

my parents are pretty much into the "national lampoon's christmas vacation" movie. My brother and I bought my mother the egg nog glas that's in the movie.
    Ank
    My favorite movie! As mentioned above, there are numerous recipes on the internet. Where I live, they make it commercially and is on the store shelves from October through January. Good luck and have fun!