Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Qualities of enlightened people/spiritual leaders?

Ryanboo

Default Qualities of enlightened people/spiritual leaders?

Throughout history figures such as Jesus, Buddha, Confucius, Muhammad, Moses, Gandhi ect... have guided masses of people through their spiritual or moral teachings. All of them have been able to open peoples minds and guide them using their insights. I wonder what separates them from the other good hearted, wise, or kind people that have not been able to impact the world in such a profound way. What qualities do these people have that our "average Joe" does not? Some obvious ones may be enlightenment or charisma but what other qualities do these people seem to share?

A combination of aptitude for exploiting quirks in human psychology, positive-feedback loops in human social structure, and dumb luck.

Some would say the intervention of something greater than human life. Some call that God. All of these people were part of something greater. They made contact. There are things which are difficult if not impossible to explain, especially when they defy the laws of physics. There's truth in the saying that faith can move mountains.

Listen, I'm not saying it was because of aliens. But, what if it was aliens?

Astra

Sex appeal

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanboo View Post
    What qualities do these people have that our "average Joe" does not? Some obvious ones may be enlightenment or charisma but what other qualities do these people seem to share?

A good leader will always be interpreting the future to the present - Paul J Keating
    If you're going to be a successful leader, you have to communicate a compelling insight into the state of things as they are - this will convince people of your ability - and then communicate a clear and compelling picture of how things should be, and the path to bring them about. Once you have inspired others, they will carry your message and do some of your work for you - this is part of what defines success, a leader's ability to reach more people with their message than a rival does with theirs.
    This is the same if you are a religious (Jesus, Buddha) or a political leader (Gandhi, Confucius,) or some fusion of the two (Muhammad, Moses.)

a since of humility, and the capacity for self sacrifice. the willingness to serve the greater good and the humanity to understand what that may be at any given time.

and of course, faith....

Quote Originally Posted by littlelodgewrecker View Post
    a since of humility, and the capacity for self sacrifice. the willingness to serve the greater good and the humanity to understand what that may be at any given time.
    I believe you're thinking of the legend that grew up around them long after they were gone.

Real time, there's a certain something that some people have. If I could define it, I could bottle it, sell it, and become unimaginably wealthy. Kevin Trudeau tried. He certainly has some of that essence, although he's likely to waste it in a prison laundry for a while.

Charisma comes close to describing it. I've known people that had at least some of it. Friends, coaches, bosses. Whatever they're selling, you're buying, even if it had never entered your mind that you needed it. Fortunately for me, these people led me in ways that turned out to be very good for me, as opposed to kool-aid parties in Guyana.

None of them were close to being saints, or having perfect personal or professional lives. They did have a vision for a certain thing, though, and they were able to infect you with enthusiasm for it, even though they didn't really seem to be pushing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Kevin Trudeau tried. He certainly has some of that essence, although he's likely to waste it in a prison laundry for a while.
    You give him too much credit. The key to the success of Trudeau, and to every snake-oil salesman and con-man in the history of the world (Trudeau is far from alone in his craft, though he might be a bit more visible than some of the others), is, far more than any innate charisma or charm, simply a complete lack of a conscience and a fantastic working knowledge of cognitive bias and how to exploit it.

Trudeau's snake-oil empire is, at its core, marvelously simple; disease is scary, and you play on that fear. It is very appealing, to believe that the "medical establishment" is lying to you and that such a simple thing can remove all health-related worry. It's so very simple and certain, compared to the fickle, frightening reality of actual medical science. Does it help to have a charismatic, charming face to the whole thing? Sure. Is that the main reason it works? Not at all.

One almost has to admire the simplicity of it, if you can look past how utterly monstrous it is for a brief time. That he managed to keep his business going this long (and that there are so many others just like him still peddling their garbage), however, is a slap in the face of our consumer-protection agencies.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    I believe you're thinking of the legend that grew up around them long after they were gone.

Real time, there's a certain something that some people have. If I could define it, I could bottle it, sell it, and become unimaginably wealthy. Kevin Trudeau tried. He certainly has some of that essence, although he's likely to waste it in a prison laundry for a while.

Charisma comes close to describing it. I've known people that had at least some of it. Friends, coaches, bosses. Whatever they're selling, you're buying, even if it had never entered your mind that you needed it. Fortunately for me, these people led me in ways that turned out to be very good for me, as opposed to kool-aid parties in Guyana.

None of them were close to being saints, or having perfect personal or professional lives. They did have a vision for a certain thing, though, and they were able to infect you with enthusiasm for it, even though they didn't really seem to be pushing anything.
    Gosh Maxx!
    somethimes you totally surprise me with your thoughtfulness.
    what i wrote was more of a quick composite expression or insight of my contemporary close personal experience with several catholic priests. and none of them were saints either..... just devoted men of faith.

i personally don't have a threshold-number of followers that defines a persons enlightenment or spiritual leadership quotient. where any two or more are gathered pretty much does it for me.... (smile)
    Last edited by littlelodgewrecker; 31-Oct-2013 at 06:18.