Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Games that are better than their sequels

Default Games that are better than their sequels

I own Call of Duty 4/5, Halo 2/3, SW Battlefront 1 & 2 and I've played both Simcity 4 and societies.

What do all these games have in common? In my opinion the first game out of each pair was better than the second. What are your opinions on these games and are there any other games you consider better than their sequels?

Mako

Quote Originally Posted by sniper14th View Post
    I own Call of Duty 4/5, Halo 2/3, SW Battlefront 1 & 2 and I've played both Simcity 4 and societies.

What do all these games have in common? In my opinion the first game out of each pair was better than the second. What are your opinions on these games and are there any other games you consider better than their sequels?
    First games tend to make bigger impressions because there are more new experiences. Every game after is usually made in the template of the originals, thus lessening that shiney new feeling.

This is not true for all games, it usually is quite dependant on the genre and the objective. I would argue Super Mario bros. 3, SMB 64, Crash Bandicoot:Warped, Sonic the hedgehog 2, Legend of Zelda series (in general), Final Fantasy series (in general), Star fox 64, are all superior to their original games or many of their predecessors.

Only 1 of the games listed was the original. There was two 4/5s and 1 2/3. I avoided listing games that are the first I've played in the series. Otherwise I would also have listed FF VII and conflict Desert Storm.

SW Battlefront 1 & 2
    Mako, have you played those 2? SW:BF1 Dominates SW:BF2. Many annoyances. The ammo is displayed around your crosshair, I don't remember where the grenade counter is, you don't know your total amount of ammo until it runs out, the vehicle commands are the same, (Dpad for PS2) but it doesn't display what all the commands are when you select one, eg in 1 you moved it some which way and it displayed the one you picked and the other 3, but now it doesn't do that, making it much harder to know WTF you are telling your occupants to do. You have to UNLOCK some of the classes to play them every game, (which is bullshit IMO, I want to play all of them at start or only have 1 class that everyone is.) and Jedi. Why, are there Jedi, in a battle game. My favorite part of BF is that it doesn't have any Jedi, and 2 ruined that. Space battles are fun, but don't make up for the failures of SW:BF2.

I have CoD4 and getting 5 soon, I don't really like the Online play of both, as there are too many different guns, some seem to counter each other, and you always run into the person with your counter. Oddly enough 1 shotgun blast is about equal to 2 bullets at long range, as I have shot someone at 5 or so feet multiple times only to be killed by 3 bullets in the chest, with a gun that isn't that powerful.

Despite the complaints of CoD4 being linear, which it is VERY linear, (doesn't bother me any) I believe the story is pretty good. Very good.

Edit: Lolrunon sentence, lolrants, and lol see if you can understand my post.

The fact that everything has a counter is generally a sign of good balance and therefore a good game.

My biggest complaint with BF2 apart from the one's mentioned by Mr Alex is that it's Elite difficuly is equivalent to easy on BF1. This means that accompanied by Jedi, that it is IMPOSSIBLE for the player to lose against AI.

Star wars battle front 2 was way better then the first one. Sure some of the maps are worse but the controls are so much more better. If they ported some of the maps from SWBF 1 into the 2nd one then SWBF2 would of been better hands down.

The big thing about battle front 1 is you can't side roll away from hand gernades. In 2 you could.

I find that if the sequels aren't tied directly (or at all) they tend to either stay around the same or get better than their older cousins.

I have CoD4 and getting 5 soon, I don't really like the Online play of both, as there are too many different guns, some seem to counter each other, and you always run into the person with your counter. Oddly enough 1 shotgun blast is about equal to 2 bullets at long range, as I have shot someone at 5 or so feet multiple times only to be killed by 3 bullets in the chest, with a gun that isn't that powerful.
    The vast choices of weapons and perks etc is exactly why I like CoD4. CoD5 IMO is CoD4 with a WW2:PT mod :P, and it's fun to play, even though CoD4 is arguably (even I agree with) better than CoD5.