Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the deal with "plushies"

Default What's the deal with "plushies"

Honestly... I want to know why so many people on here call their stuffed animals plushies. Is there a reason for it, other than the fact that it's just another word for stuffed animal or toy? Help me out cause without knowing... I just kinda get creeped out every time I read a comment left by somebody whose snuggling their plushie. Just doesn't sound right to me.

I personally have my wabbit and my ghost that I favor, and then lots of other stuffed animals... but Idunno, to use the term plushie for my stuffed toys would kinda set me to think that plushie was an icky sex word or something. Maybe I'm just being silly... but I wanna know.

Well, I usually call my stuffed animals plushies because it's easier to type out instead of stuffed animal, and well...stuffed animals are plush, and plushies is a cute word ^^

Quote Originally Posted by diaperedbabygirl View Post
    Well, I usually call my stuffed animals plushies because it's easier to type out instead of stuffed animal, and well...stuffed animals are plush, and plushies is a cute word ^^
    :whs0be:

Yeah, I Particularly agree with the plushie is a cute word bit.

I actually kinda hate the word plushie, and when I first started seeing everyone say it I was like "WHATTHEFRACKK!" I called mine Stuffed Animals, or Stuffies, I have my entire life. I have, however, gotten used to calling them plushies because at least everyone understands me when I say that.

But yeah, I don't favor the word, and I don't use it irl.

Quote Originally Posted by Abigail View Post
    I actually kinda hate the word plushie, and when I first started seeing everyone say it I was like "WHATTHEFRACKK!" I called mine Stuffed Animals, or Stuffies, I have my entire life. I have, however, gotten used to calling them plushies because at least everyone understands me when I say that.

But yeah, I don't favor the word, and I don't use it irl.
    Same

I can understand calling them "stuffed animals" or "stuffies" much more, it does make sense. Oddly enough I've always heard them called "plushies", so that is the natural term I use. I suppose the idea is that they feel plush. To add though, I don't really see how "plushie" conjures more or less sexual connotations as "stuffie", since they both end with the suffix -ie.

Eh, it's like a difference between saying Nappy and Diaper... They mean the same thing, it's just a matter of what you grew up with. And I've known several British people who say "Diaper" just because that's what most everyone else says on the net, 'Specially when writing stories.

For what it's worth....

plush   /plʌʃ/ [pluhsh]
    noun, adjective, -er, -est.
    –noun 1. a fabric, as of silk, cotton, or wool, whose pile is more than 1/8 inch (0.3 cm) high.
    –adjective 2. expensively or showily luxurious: the plushest hotel in town
    3. abundantly rich; lush; luxuriant: plush, rolling lawns.

I believe 'plushy' refers to the material, only with a cutesy Y on the end. Kind of like a teddy bear. I guess calling it a tedd bear wouldn't sound right. Stuffy is the same thing, only it's referancing the innards and not the 'skin' of the toy.

I'd have to say it's just regional dialect variations. Some places it's soda. Other places it's pop. When it was created, it was soda-pop, as in soda water, with pop(sicle) flavoring. I remember asking about soda at a market in ohio, and some guy (probably being smart-assish at the same time, but he could've been dumb) points me to the baking needs isle... for baking SODA.

Also, some people call it a sub. Some call it a hoagie, or a hero. Up northeast it's called a grinder. I have no idea why, my best guess is shredded lettuce looks like it came out of a grinder, and 98% of these sandwiches are made with some on it. Then there's those old song lyrics.... "You say tomato, and I say tomatto. You say potato, and I say potatto"

I find nothing wrong with the word 'plush' or 'plushie'. Though I do think the 'plushiephiles' might've sullied that word a bit for anyone who knows about them and might otherwise use the word in casual conversation.

*laughs* thanks for the research. I was just curious on why everybody on here tended to say it more often than not. I get that people have their blankies because I do too, and their pacis and everything... just plushie in my mind has an eerie ring to it.

Like calling something that's damp moist. What in the world kind of word is moist? say it out loud. Say moist all by itself. It sounds yuck. Same for me with plushie I guess.