Thread: Weeellp, here I am

Default Weeellp, here I am

I never thought I'd be here at a place like this. But I'm glad you're here. Let's see what happens, more on that in a more appropriate post.

Been struggling with this for at least half my life now, among many human conditions. This is still the #1 thing bothering me though, I've come a long way in regards to fitting in.

I'm not much into roleplaying myself, but I've had some fun wearing, nearly gotten myself into trouble with that. I certainly don't mind the idea of a lady friend roleplaying, and I could probably be talked into it.

About my username, I'm pretty big on philosophy. It's a never ending interest, with another avenue to explore as soon as one question gets answered. The joke goes, "you have begun the game of existentialism. you have lost the game of existentialism." Meaninglessness could be synonymous to hopelessness for some, but I've found quite a bit of strength in it. The idea of a greater purpose burdened on my shoulders has always led to great stress, trying to appease God or family. But I rejected faith, landed on atheism, and have come to the conclusion that we're a random spark in an eternal dance beyond our control, and have adopted the phrase "Shut up, stop worrying, there's always hedonism."

So here I am.

I'm new to doing tattoo art, enjoy indie music, expensive video games, yadda yadda, the typical rebel kid stuff.

I've been very blessed my whole life. So I always feel guilty when I think to myself that I've had it hard (it hasn't been perfect. again, here I am). So when I think about how hard other people have had it, I tell myself that a sheltered life is tough to break out of. It's a fragile castle that comes tumbling down on the onset of inevitable grief.

Happy happy joy joy!

Hello meaninglessness and welcome to the group.

This is a very informative introduction.

I myself am more of a Hobbsian type person; the social covenants above natural law mentality. I will be looking forward to reading your post in Mature topics and such areas.

Again welcome to the group.

The idea of a greater purpose burdened on my shoulders has always led to great stress, trying to appease God or family. But I rejected faith, landed on atheism, and have come to the conclusion that we're a random spark in an eternal dance beyond our control, and have adopted the phrase "Shut up, stop worrying, there's always hedonism."

Welcome to the site. I, too, identify as atheist. There is no greater guilt than the one laid on us by religion (IMHO). I also believe as a humanist that we are here for a finite period of time and any 'meaning of life' is how we choose to leave our mark in the world and how we serve others.

Quote Originally Posted by egor View Post
    I myself am more of a Hobbsian type person; the social covenants above natural law mentality. I will be looking forward to reading your post in Mature topics and such areas.
    Hobbes was quite the optimist. I take a more pessimistic route of philosophy and government, finally finishing up Machiavelli.

You might wanna check out Jonathan Haidt's The Righteous Mind. He illuminates his thoughts on the roots of moral foundation and what makes "right" different from "left". I really came out of it more open minded, and I'll preach that book like the Good Book.

Quote Originally Posted by egor View Post
    Hello meaninglessness .

Say good-bye to all of this. And say hello… to oblivion.”
    Riff Raff, Rocky Horror Picture Show Quotes

"Hello oblivion"
    - Rocky Horror Picture Show Quotes of audience participating

This is a very informative introduction.
    Yes Indeedy.

I myself am more of a Hobbsian type person
    How odd. My sister dated a guy for a while, whom I thought of as a "hobbesian type "- ie nasty, brutish, and short. Didn't like him. You are not like him, to my mind. At least, you haven't be short with me.

Again welcome to the group
    again , indeedy.

Last edited by Raccoon; 17-Oct-2013 at 06:02.