Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question of Video cards

Default Question of Video cards

Well I'm looking to upgrade to a new video card this coming holiday season. Here's my issue: I only have a 300 Watt Power supply -_-

So in your opinions what's the best bang for your buck card that can work with a 300 watt PSU?

Should I just completely forego upgrading my machine and build my own from the ground up?

Hope I'm not asking stupid questions.

It would help give us the make and model of the machine your talking about. Because some companies like Dell rewire the motherboard plug so you have to buy from the manufacture. Dose it have a dedicated or inter graded graphics card?

Quote Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
    It would help give us the make and model of the machine your talking about. Because some companies like Dell rewire the motherboard plug so you have to buy from the manufacture. Dose it have a dedicated or inter graded graphics card?
    Integrated Graphics card. I'm currently using a Gateway DX4300-04C model. The integrated card is an HD Radeon 3200

Well it supports PCI Express 2.0 16 graphics card. Which sounds like you can upgrade. But the main issue is your Power supply. Because 300 watt will not cut it. Inter graded graphics do not draw as much power as the dedicated graphics. Dedicated graphics tend to draw a lot of power. (Depending on the cpu graphics card) It could require 600 watts to 750 watt power supply.) Note I tend to go high on power supply requirements it depends on what graphics card you buy.

Problems you might have with new power supplies

1 Finding a power supply that fit the case.

2 Make sure gateway do DO NOT use custom parts. They tend to rewire the parts so you have to buy from the manufacture. I am not 100% sure if gateway dose this. So you might have to buy from Gateway.

nVidia have a GT640 GDDR5 which is listed with a 300W power requirement: Specifications | GeForce
    Not a great card, but much, much better than your current integrated video.

That true cew435. But it also depends on the cpu. A good idea Nict. Click control panel and then system. Give out the cpu spec. Because the system manual listed 5 different cpu. Everything to dual core to Quad core and 3 core cpu. If it dual core you should be fine 3x or 4x then it might be a good idea to upgrade the power supply or it will stress it.

My Processor is AMD Phenom II'sx4 805. 2.50GHz, I have 6.00 Gigs of RAM.

Hope that helps. I'm kind of stupid regarding the guts of my machine >..< (As in I don't know a whole lot outside of what a decent processor and video card is)

It will be cutting it close cpu 95 w graphic card 50 w, motherboard with ram 50 w, (give or take a watt) hard drive 25 w, dvd drive 25 w and plus other devices like fans

Note this rough guess what I am looking at and Its usually a good idea to have your PSU using about 3/4's of its capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Nintendorox! View Post
    Should I just completely forego upgrading my machine and build my own from the ground up?
    If you can spare the money ;)... I'm just kidding. What do you wanna - or are you doing with your pc mostly? And how much do you want to spend.

But anyway, as Lestat said, it's a good idea to use 1/2-3/4 of your psu's power. Besides that I think your psu is surely quite old? So a new one might also save you a bit money in the long run, since the efficiency is at 80-88% these days.

500w should be more than enough, so around 40-60$, like a coolermaster gx 500w, or similar.
    Another problem though is that your 2,5ghz amd will bottleneck anything faster than a 560ti, but with 500w you have some space for a bit oc, 3ghz+- wouldn't hurt. A phenom is still great all in all.

Best bang for buck... I'd say gtx750ti, which will be released soon, if you can wait. 130-150$ for a speed between a gtx660 and gtx660ti, 100-120w tdp. Or get a radeon 7850/7870 - 180$/220$+-.

And secondly... are you using 3 ram slots; 3x 2gb I guess? I'd say get a 4. one (the same as you use), so you can use dual link again, which will speed up things.