View Poll Results: Extrovert or introvert?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am an extrovert

10 22.22%
  • I am an introvert

33 73.33%
  • It's more complicated than that (please explain)

5 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: personality

Default personality

How comfortable are you in social situations? Do you consider yourself an introvert or an extrovert?

I'm personally working on taking the initiative and actually talking with others in a non-awkward way, but I often find myself too shy to go out and talk. Even if I get into a conversation, once the small talk (basically weather and probably the game last Saturday) ends, I feel as if there's nothing else to say if other party does not share a lot in common with me, or does not have interests similar to mine (science, technology, etc.)

I see a lot of these threads on forums and I think there is a closed MBTi thread here, so I'd like to know the "social landscape" of ADISC. I'm not asking you to complete the questionairre, but probably just post some facts about yourself. I'll get a basic poll up and running soon...

--
    Poll is up, but it is multiple choice. Please only choose one. Thanks!

Also, apologies for the very general thread name... I hit submit too soon.

Read INTJ, that pretty much exactly fits me. I also have aspergers which amplifies or interferes with some of the traits found in that personality type.
    Computers/math/science is all I know and it's all the ammunition I have for conversation, so only a small portion of people I can socialize with.
    I do games and stuff online, I get some social action there because of the common thing involved: the game, As well as AB/DL Stuff for which we are here.
    Otherwise I'm easy going, not easy to offend, devoted if there is a good common ground, enjoy company rather than talk (Pets or my stuffed animals apply here), intelligent, can master any task/study given enough time(social things not so easy)

OK so done the MBPTI twice and both times I come out a classic ENFP. When I read the descriptor I am definitely not surprised. But here's the deal, after understanding exactly what introversion and extroversion actually means in the MBPTI sense I get that I draw my energy from interaction with others, but mostly I am a solitary person who really enjoys peace and quiet, and don't really enjoy complex social settings(though I can pull it off pretty convincingly)

It's complicated, I'm definitely an introvert though.

INTP/INTJ depending on the situation, questions, and mood at the time I suppose. It's always around 40-60% (P/J)

As for my introvert score; it's usually well above 90%

In a "personality types" quiz I took once, which rates you on personality disorders (schizotypal, borderline, histrionic, schizoid, paranoia, etc.) I always score very high (90%+) in a triple whammy: Avoidant, Paranoid, Schizoid (Typically I'm very high in narcissism as well). and then middle-ish around other avoidant personalities, and Obsessive-Compulsive, down to very low scores in things such as borderline, histrionic, and other attention seeking behaviours.

As for narcissism and avoidant personality types where I do score high, I can certainly see why; I'm not unhappy with who I am, and while I do believe I have 'difficulties' in social situations, especially with new people I don't know where I'm completely awkward, I think I'm a great person to be around. So, once people get to know me a bit better, I'm a great friend!

I manage quite well with social situations, forcing myself directly to "be involved" or so.

I do think that I am a bit cold/detached, and maybe put people off from getting to know me; I have a very serious lack of emotional and empathetic responses, so I can understand how I may appear disinterested (Even if I'm very much interested in the situation).

Typically, I only become enthralled; behavioural if my curiosity piques. If you can pique my curiosity, I'll be all over you; which makes me wonder if my fursona really should be a cat!

Lastly, as for my narcissistic attitude, which I don't see it being that big of a deal personally, but I've been told by others irl that I'm "Extremely narcissistic", it's just seems like a good thing to me. Why not be proud of yourself, and think you're better than people (Especially when you are! ).

It was funny, because it's been rather recent that I've realized just how narcissistic I can be, and I went back and thought about things when I was younger and I get a good laugh.

My mom once told me that when I was very young, a teacher told her they thought that I had social distress issues, because I wouldn't talk to other children. Which, may or may not have been; and may still be a minor or eve major cause for all I know. Anyway, she had asked me; and I told her the following (paraphrased from her):

"Why talk to other children when I'm far more entertaining by myself. I don't want to talk to people less intelligent than me."

Oh children, of course; they most likely were less intelligent than I was, most people are

I'm a few unthrufull, normaly I'm observing and later interacting... I'm a few introvert, but not at all. I'm used to lead when things are going bad (accidentes, fire...) I can't fall into panic. I'm used to get carry for my myself alone (included when I'm sick or when I've to protect my intereses.) May all of this is caused because as a kid I haven't good family support (if any.)

Wow, I'm shocked just how many introverts there are here! Cool though, in good company!

As for social situations, well, I tend to avoid big crowded ones, unless it's something like anonymous walks through crowded city streets. That's right up my alley ... pun absolutely intended. I tend to enjoy small talk, but with people I know well. If you're a rando, no. I've tried, I've really tried to be extroverted in the past, but I'm just much happier being my quiet, distant self.

after reading the deffinition to both words i feel that neither fits compleatly. get me around a bunch of crazy rednecks and mud bogs, im really talkative and open, same with a video game convention. however anywhere else you even look at me....... i get uneasy and sometimes hostile, if looks could kill. online im open to almost all. and around kids im very relaxed and actually seem to fit in more. all in all im not very social outside a certian social group.

- - - Updated - - -

oh and i hate being around people for long periods of time with the exception of my son and lil bro.

Quote Originally Posted by ozbub View Post
    OK so done the MBPTI twice and both times I come out a classic ENFP. When I read the descriptor I am definitely not surprised. But here's the deal, after understanding exactly what introversion and extroversion actually means in the MBPTI sense I get that I draw my energy from interaction with others, but mostly I am a solitary person who really enjoys peace and quiet, and don't really enjoy complex social settings(though I can pull it off pretty convincingly)
    Yes, this is me. Like I said in another thread, I have to be outgoing in my two jobs, both as an educator and as a music director. But when I come home, I enjoy the peace and quiet. A fun day for me is putting on some music and either reading or writing. I also enjoy getting out on the bike trail and riding, but I prefer it when there are few people out there. I love to be alone in the woods.

I took the personality test in college, and although I don't exactly remember the results, I know that it came out as an introvert, and also that it came out as one of the rare types.
    Honestly, I try to be outgoing but it is really hard. I guess deep down I have a fear of rejection. Every time I talk to someone I don't know face to face, I begin stuttering and jerking my words around. It gets so frustrating, but I suppose it is something I have to accept. The real kicker is I got top marks on my public speaking class at college.