Thread: Mass Effect

Default Mass Effect

Hey, got a really cool game recently called Mass Effect, anyone else played this before?(Surely someone has, came out in 2007)

First off, before anyone asks what the multiplayer is like, there is none(Just a really really really long and captivating) single player

It's a Third-Person Shooter(Camera is over your shoulder)

The gameplay is quite interesting, and versatile(You can select what path you wish to go down, the path of the Order Following Hero(Paragon) or the guy who likes to make his own way (Renegade)

You can select what members of your crew you want to take around with you(And have the chance to actually kill a few if they start to become untrustworthy)

You are Commander Shepard of the Alliance Fleet, you are sent on a mission to recover the beacon, and are soon caught in something larger than you thought

I'm not gonna say much else about the plot, don't wanna ruin it for anyone who decides to get it(Or is playing it currently)

Supposedly a Mass Effect 2 in the works though

I like mass effect and I got it on my PC. But other games keep me from going back to finish it. Anyways I like Joker the pilot of the Normandy.

I played maybe ten hours of it, but I just couldn't get all that interested in it. The premise was cool, and it's always nice to see RPGs that aren't set in medieval, or faux-midieval, times, but I couldn't get into the story, and I didn't really like the battle system, so I eventually just gave up. Most other people seemed to like it, though.

Wow. I definitely just had a nice, big post to put here... until I tapped a button on my mouse and the browser went back... and reset everything. Okay, let's try again:

I freakin' LOVE Mass Effect. I picked it up about a year ago for the 360 (when it was still fresh). I don't know what it is about the game that I like so much. Beyond the (very good) storyline and nifty dialogue, the game itself isn't really all that amazing - but it still is a damn good game.

I've beaten the game about 3 times total. I need to beat it one more time to get all the achievements on the 360 for it. I just never have gotten around to doing that. I will eventually though.

And yeah - they ARE making a Mass Effect 2 already. It's being developed by the same team that did the first game, and they have advised you NOT to delete old saved games from the first Mass Effect. Apparently they're designing it so that a lot of major choices and decisions from the first game will affect the second game's story as well. Pretty sweet if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Jake View Post
    and they have advised you NOT to delete old saved games from the first Mass Effect. Apparently they're designing it so that a lot of major choices and decisions from the first game will affect the second game's story as well. Pretty sweet if you ask me.
    ::Cough Cough:: well, Hello .Hack ::Cough Cough::

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    ::Cough Cough:: well, Hello .Hack ::Cough Cough::
    Yea, but .Hack also had that bit where you couldn't skip ahead in games because of the vast level difference between characters and games

They're not just making Mass Effect 2, they're making Mass Effect 3 as well. The game was planned from the start to be a trilogy. Hopefully the next two games will be interesting than the first one. I loved the main plot in ME, but the rest of the game was pretty "meh". None of the quests were really that interesting, the conversations choices were dull, none of the planets except the Citadel had much to do or see, and aside from the main plot there wasn't much story to be found.

Basically I'm hoping that the next two installments will be more like KOTOR in terms of quests, depth of content, and game design. I've got my hopes up too since ME seemed to be more of a lore primer for the series than anything else.

I wouldn't say the single player is "really really really long" I would say it is a decent length of around 20 hours if you don't do all the side quests.

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
    I wouldn't say the single player is "really really really long" I would say it is a decent length of around 20 hours if you don't do all the side quests.
    Not even close to 20 hours man. The saved games I have with most side missions done are 20-30 hours. Just going for the main plot is like... 6 hours.

I had fun with this game... I erased my saves to save space before I got a 1TB HDD... I guess I'll just have to start again.

I'll be a total dickweed this time.