Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reborn dolls

Default Reborn dolls

I'm such a sap lately.. I've been looking into dolls lately, specifically the "reborn" type. They're hyper-realistic dolls that look like babies and toddlers. They can be creepy, and too deep in the uncanny valley, but there's also something really cute about most of them... I do have a fear that if I buy one I'll get a baby corpse instead though; I need to stop being paranoid.

What do you guys think of them? Anyone into them?
    Last edited by DrewberryBlue; 11-Oct-2013 at 01:52.

kayley

From an artist standpoint, I think they are Awesome! =^.^=
    But WAY too deep in the uncanny valley. I couldn't sleep with one of those in the room. =O.O=
    They just sort of creep me out.... I don't know, I sort of want my dolly to look like a dolly so I can pretend it's real. The pretending is part of the fun! =^.^=

Damn... I had to google this, hadn't I.... curiosity killed the cat.
    Now I should sleep and probably will have nasty nightmares...

Wow - those abominations are creepy fuckers.

I have never liked humanoid dolls - find them all quite creepy in a weird way... but these "reborn" things take the creepy factor to an entirely new level.

Now I need to get those images out of my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by EPO1 View Post
    Damn...nasty nightmares...abominations...creepy fuckers.

here's good avatar for you, though:
    Attachment 18809

i wonder if they make all ages?

I'm not sure. Most reborn are infants in the pre-toddler stage though googling "Reborn toddler dolls" I got a few hits. I think I like the tots better actually. Still Moments Nursery has good looking ones = they have elementary kids too - but they cost $300+.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee292/janniedelange/AndresrebbyLaNurseriedeMarie12.jpg
    Last edited by DrewberryBlue; 11-Oct-2013 at 03:09.

"Would you like to play with me, daddy?"

"Oh...you talk. I don't recall that from the add. Yeah, okay. Hey wait, what's that in your hand?"

"Oh nothing daddy. Come play with me. Play with me now!"

"Is that a knife? Is that a fu*cking knife? No, NO , NOOOOOOOO........."

"Who will play with me? Daddy went away. Will you be my new daddy?......Please......?"

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post

"Oh...you talk. I don't recall that from the add. Yeah, okay. Hey wait, what's that in your hand?"

"Who will play with me? Daddy went away. Will you be my new daddy?......Please......?"
    ...and now dolls are officially ruined for me. Thanks, Dogboy
    (I never actually played with dolls...thast's one LG thing I never got into. I couldn't handle one of these though; they're a bit too real for me, although they are incredible!)

Quote Originally Posted by ade View Post

here's good avatar for you, though:
    Attachment 18809

i wonder if they make all ages?
    Just need to put a red light bulb inside that.

As for the reborns: My wife has a very sharp eye, and actually noticed a woman at the mall who was sitting on a bench pretending to give one a bottle. It was the lack of movement and blinking that gave it away, as it was otherwise stunningly real. We were sitting only a few feet away having coffee, and did our best not to stare once we realized what was going on. I've since wondered whether this woman was an over-the-top doll enthusiast, a prankster, or had perhaps had some traumatic experience (e.g., death of a child) that compelled her to do this.

This thread reminded me of the recent CNN blog about men and their life-sized female dolls. Some are a bit stylized, while others are quite realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post

After reading your post the movie, Pet Sematary comes to mind

Last edited by MeDisneyBaby; 14-Oct-2013 at 00:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    Just need to put a red light bulb inside that.

As for the reborns: My wife has a very sharp eye, and actually noticed a woman at the mall who was sitting on a bench pretending to give one a bottle. It was the lack of movement and blinking that gave it away, as it was otherwise stunningly real. We were sitting only a few feet away having coffee, and did our best not to stare once we realized what was going on. I've since wondered whether this woman was an over-the-top doll enthusiast, a prankster, or had perhaps had some traumatic experience (e.g., death of a child) that compelled her to do this.

This thread reminded me of the recent CNN blog about men and their life-sized female dolls. Some are a bit stylized, while others are quite realistic.
    And I thought my fictitious tale was creepy! It sounds like she was just in time for Halloween. Maybe you could buy several heads, put red light bulbs in them, and then placed in your windows for the children on Halloween!

edit: And yes. Pet Cemetery was one scary, if not, totally disturbing movie.