View Poll Results: Should we make it a mod or a gamemode?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stand alone Mod *Would take more time but would require half life 2 I am also new to this method*

0 0%
  • Gamemode *WOuld take less time but requires garrys mod*

2 66.67%
  • Make Gamemode first and then turn into a standalone Mod later

1 33.33%

Thread: Tips/Ideas for a gamemode

Question Tips/Ideas for a gamemode

NOW I KNOW THIS MIGHT SOUND REALLY DUMB, BUT THIS IS JUST SOME IDEAS THAT ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE DEPENDING ON WHAT PEOPLE WANT!!!!!

I am trying to make a game mode in garrys mod that is a kids vs adults battle. I just wanted to see if I could get some ideas/help on it.

Now I understand not everyone has garrys mod, so I have been thinking about just making it into its own game mod. That way as long as your have some source game, like half life 2, you can play it. The only problem is I am not fully skilled in that and it would take more time. Now if someone else knows how and we could team up that would be great. To be honest I would love to see a ab/dl related game on the source engine in 3D. I am sorta tired of the whole rpg maker games and also I feel we need more games.

Adults:
    ------------------------------

Weapons:
    >Melee: Giant Paddle/Justice hammer/Ruler/Belt

>Main: Really need some ideas!!!

>Grenades: (F.O.A.) Grenade

Classes:

>Need Ideas!!!!

Effects:

>(F.O.A.) Grenade: Grows target and slows them down.

Kids:
    ------------------------------

Weapons:

>Melee: Bat,lollipop, Baby Rattle

>Main: Slingshot, Water-gun, Nerf-gun

>Grenades: (F.O.Y.) Fountain of youth balloon/Jar, Diaper

Classes:

>Baby: Major damage and Regression opponents

>Kid: Snipers maybe *Nerf-gun or slingshot*

>toddlers: Fast opponents

Effects:

>Diaper: Slows down target and causes acid damage or just cause acid damage

>(F.O.Y.)Balloon/jar: Regresses target and causes them to take more damage.

Gamemode ideas:
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    > Candy rush: Was thinking the kids would tr and claim all the candy, while the adults would try to prevent them.

>TDM: Just normal TDM but with a funny twist to it ;P

>Need some more Ideas

Other Ideas:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

>I am thinking about making everything normal damage unless you get a power up to do regressions/progressions.

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO HELP!!!!!!!!
    -----------------------------------------------------

You can add me here on steam and we can chat: Steam Community :: doctoroctekrattypus # school
    You can post ideas here in the post.

If you want to help model or code add me on steam and we can get chatting.

P.S.: Before I do ANYTHING, I want to know if you guys would actually join. I have spent a lot of my hard earned money and time setting/installing servers and making models for our community. I have gotten nothing in return though. I am not asking for money or anything, I just would like too see them actually get used. I mean I have been sitting here asking people what they would like to see and so far I have not received to much info in the past. I am just really close to shutting down everything and deleting everything I ever made.

Well,

I have gmod, well I installed it for the real kid...

I'd say that I don't really play games...just never intrested me...

Maybe once a year I'll play racing game, more to get used to a track I'm going to run...it does get me familiar with the layout of say road america...

But, it does sound interesting ...
    B

Out of curiosity, how much experience do you have in the engine (or programming in general)? This seems right off the bat like a quite ambitious project. On top of experienced 2d and 3d artists, you'll need a solid programming foundation in the Source engine to really kick this off. Not to mention experience in game networking and information systems...

Would be interesting if it ends up coming to fruition. I'm just worried about overscoping things...

Quote Originally Posted by DustRabbit View Post
    Out of curiosity, how much experience do you have in the engine (or programming in general)? This seems right off the bat like a quite ambitious project. On top of experienced 2d and 3d artists, you'll need a solid programming foundation in the Source engine to really kick this off. Not to mention experience in game networking and information systems...

Would be interesting if it ends up coming to fruition. I'm just worried about overscoping things...
    Thanks and that is why I said I would do a game mode in garrys mod first. I only made a poll to see what others wanted, because I know a lot of people do not have garrys mod. I have already started coding the game mode in garrysmod it might be ready for a alpha sometime next week. I honestly am not worried, just because I love everything to do with computers. To me I see this as more of a new thing to learn, rather then a big challenge.

This is not all that I know but this is all that I can think of at the moment:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am majoring in Computer science and am debating on doing a dual with computer engineering. I have had 2 java courses in Highschool. I am also currently enrolled in java class in college. I have taken one class that dealt with c++. I have learned the majority of the lua that I know on my own. I started last summer and have been coding addons, weapons, and adding stuff to already made game modes. I used to be a 3D artist and made avatars. Because of that it helped me to learn how to model. I have made a custom furry model in the source engine. I have made a diaper model with excellent normal mapping, so it looks realistic. I have set up every single game server that is being run right now: 3 Garrys mod servers, 1 Tf2 server, a TeamSpeak server, and finally a Minecraft server. I have also made a custom map in the source engine.

I learned dos commands back when I was 8. I have learned the dos commands for linux because of setting up the servers.

In my spare time I have helped fix others with people computer issues; Stuff like viruses, random crashes, and stuff. I also have helped people build computers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note. You reminded me about how I can't get my foot in the computer business, while someone I told how to build a computer can just waltz right in a store and get accepted. This is one of the reasons why I am just trying to learn more things. I also getting ready for my a++ test, and soon my network+.

Now if you would like, you are welcome to help. Anyone can, that is why I asked above. xD

progress #1

This is just showing how far I have come.

There is a class menu so you can pick between your classes.

The classes have different load-outs, and health.

The taunts work, the tantrum but for specials needs a little bit more work, but for the most part it works.

The last couple of stuff I need to do is fix Freidnly fire, add armor, health and a special gun that spawns in the middle of the map.

I have made a convar to turn off age regression/progressions, but It needs a little bit more work.

I also need to add a timer to tell you how long you have left.

http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/577876801436841057/8D5594D477F48AF09776FA3692DAB7C6694D5419/