Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quitting smoking...

Default Quitting smoking...

I need/want to quit smoking, but it's damned annoyingly hard now.

I've decided my best bet is to find a cute girl and just have her tie me up for a few days and have her way with me repeatedly.

I'm confident that this strategy will be 100% effective, but alas, I am missing the cute girl!

Discuss.

I offer the following cartoon in support and in no way meaning it to be offensive to you. That said I highly think the cartoon can really help people. Not only for smokers but anyone who is trying to quit anything.

:: Smokin' Smokers ::

I need/want to quit smoking, but it's damned annoyingly hard now.

I've decided my best bet is to find a cute girl and just have her tie me up for a few days and have her way with me repeatedly.

I'm confident that this strategy will be 100% effective, but alas, I am missing the cute girl!

Discuss.
    I believe you have found a good way to get anything done my friend.

Try to steer clear of things you normally do. If you're used to being on the computer, spend less time on it, if you're used to smoking while drinking your morning coffee, try waiting an hour or so after you wake up before you have it, etc... That semi-worked for me. You could also try a no smoking drug, like Chantix. Good luck.

EmeraldsAndLime

Quote Originally Posted by Abigail View Post
    ou could also try a no smoking drug, like Chantix. Good luck.

My brother is on that stuff right now. Says it works really well, but side-effects from it are just fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukie View Post
    My brother is on that stuff right now. Says it works really well, but side-effects from it are just fucked.
    I used it for about 3 and a half weeks iirc. I had terrible migraines and stomach aches... so I stopped taking it. (You're supposed to take it for 3 months) But the 3 weeks I did take it helped immensely in my quitting journey. I've been smoke free for almost 6 months I think. =)

*Find yourself as many motives possible. Write them down and put them in places around the house where you might smoke (e.g next to the computer, a note saying : I am not smoking because : blah blah blah)

*Do activities which go with smoking in a state of mindfulness. (Saying to yourself, while waiting at the bus stop : I am now waiting at the bus stop without smoking)

*Contemplate using nicorette chewing gum or patches. I personally find menthol nice, I use it if I'm a non smoking environment.

Of course, you really NEED to have the will power and consciously believe you want to quit smoking, cause even if a tiny part of your head wants to smoke, chances are you'll fall back.

Digital is way-on with the idea that you have to support your desire to stop smoking by believing that you need to.

I was a smoker for ten years, and went through about a pack-a-day. I had tried to quit once and got through two months, but it was absolutely miserable, and I started up. Why? Because I wasn't ready to stop. I enjoy(ed) smoking, so it was tough for me to give it up, no matter what it did to my body.

Finally, last March, I stopped cold turkey, and I had a less difficult time with it. It came down to realizing that I needed to quit, and then helping my body get through it. A few helpful tips that I followed that should make your smoking desires vanish.

1) Drink a shit-ton of water. The more you drink, the faster the residual nicotine is going to get out of our body. You'll also be satisfying that mental urge to be doing something with your mouth. I drank about a gallon-and-a-half of water on the day that I stopped smoking, and though I was pissing like a racehorse, I feel it's one of the reasons I got over the urges quicker. Just don't drink so much at once -- we remember what happened on that radio station with the Wii!

2) Take deep breaths when you get the urge to smoke. Hell, you can even emulate the action. Just taking some of the kind of breaths you would take when smoking can help ease the feeling of wanting to smoke. Remember - Deep, long breaths and light exhalations!

3) A bath will help at night (if you stop in the morning), because it's late in the day and early in the evening when you'll probably feel the few symptoms of withdrawal. A big headache, restlessness, and agitation are all part of the withdrawal. When that happened, I sat in a warm tub with just my head sticking out of it, and I sort've hibernated for about two hours. When I woke up, I felt outstanding, urgeless, and it's been smooth sailing from there!

Just have confidence in yourself and your world without smokes! It's a hard one to imagine, but it does feel better in the long run!

Some great advice above, my only additional contribution would be to go talk to your Primary Care Physician if you have one, there are a number of different of ways they can help you in quitting, including some medications to help with the withdrawal symptoms. Also it is always nice to have a patient actually ask for help quitting as opposed to the usual cycle of asking if a patient smoke, patient saying yes and saying they are thinking about quitting and kind of not avoiding the actual question, a year goes by and the process repeats.

Of course another great way to get motivated to quit is to take a gross anatomy course and see and feel some of the lungs of patients who have smoked for most of their lives... not very pretty.

Anyways, best of luck to you and I hope you are successful.

First, decide that you're not a smoker anymore.

Then, I go with "shit-ton of water". And an XBOX or PS3 with too many games. And way too many hours of movies to watch. And avoid smoking situations like the plague.

If you smoke waiting for the bus, take a cab or get a ride. Walk. Better yet, ride your bike. (It's a nice benchmark for how crappy your lungs are, and the yellow-sputum on the ground helps you feel like you're making progress.)

And then when that doesn't work take the Zyban and stop whining about the side effects. For most people they go away after a week or two. Then you start getting side effects again, but from the smoking. Take the hint from your vomiting reaction that you just don't want the rest of this smoke.

Anyways, watch for the mad-thirst and be sure to conquer it with lots of water. And don't give up. Took me four months of trying before I stopped, yo-yoing from no-smoking weeks to pack-a-day and back.

Don't lose hope. You can do it.