Thread: AB/DL: Where will we be in 10 years time?

Default AB/DL: Where will we be in 10 years time?

Many of us are under the impression that the AB/DL 'market' is growing. In the past few years, the number of companies offering custom AB/DL diapers has grown significantly, however the vast majority of us still use diapers designed for incontinent people.

An obvious reason why mass produced incontinence diapers are more popular is because they are cheaper and available in commercial outlets such as pharmacies and supermarkets.

These sort of diapers are designed for incontinent customers, which is a much bigger population than the AB/DL portion of society. However because of consumer preference and market research, our incontinence diapers are becoming less bulky, and cloth backed.

This is already happened in the baby diaper market. If you were born between 1965-1995*, the chances are you wore thicker plastic-backed disposable diapers. Between this period, the thickness decreased over time to the point where we have thin, often undesirable and flimsy baby diapers of this generation.

One of the main comforts associated with being a DL is the emotional and physical warm, snuggly thickness associated with the kind of diapers we wore as kids. As I am assuming the vast majority of us AB/DL's were born between 1965-1995, we endured the loving comfort of wearing a soft, thick diaper as kids, and this may have shaped our adult desire for wearing diapers (and using other baby-associated things in some cases).

Because this generation of babies are using these thinner, flimsy diapers, would that mean they may have a lesser emotional connection to diapers that we had? Is it possible that the number of AB/DL's in the future will decrease because of this?

Or..

Have I got it all wrong. They say that children are potty training later and later these days, up to 2 years later than the previous generation as diapers have supposedly become more comfy and absorbent to them.

They say that children are often unable to realise that they have soiled their own diapers because they are so absorbent, so they are unable to feel as much discomfort.
    Many AB/DL's on this forum say that they were potty trained late, and this is often cited as a reason to why they have a desire later in life to wear diapers.

Could this create an even bigger generation of DL's in ten years time? Will we have an influx of DL's coming from the 'thin, yet absorbent' cloth backed diaper generation, claiming that they remember being in diapers until the age of 4, or even 5? Will the AB/DL diaper market change significantly to meet the needs of the 'cloth-backed generation'?

Countries like China and Brazil have opened up with a large population of emerging middle class families. This could boost the AB/DL population significantly. China has an urban population of around 55% which is growing rapidly. If a baby is born in China now, it would certainly wear disposable diapers, as opposed to its parents, who may have been born in rural areas in the 70's and 80's in often 'diaperless' circumstances.

I am sorry if this went on a little too long, but I get the impression that it is worth us discussing this.

The Times they are a Changin'

*I assume disposable diapers become widely prevalent by 1965, but hey, I was not a mother in 1965.

I'm not so sure the growth or decline of the AB/DL population would be directly related to diaper comfort for babies, or toilet training techniques, as I tend to believe DL desires are a result of imprinting rather than psychological issues, at least in those cases where there is a connection between sexuality and AB/DL tendencies.

According to behaviorists (in my limited research) imprinting accounts for our sexual identity and sexual orientation which are neither instinctive (genetic) nor learned (psychological) traits but are traits that are aquired relatively suddenly through some process that occurs at key points in our early development. Psychological behaviors are learned through our interactions with our environment, and these behaviors no doubt have an impact on infantilism, but learned behaviors can be unlearned. Imprinted characteristics, on the other hand, tend to be permanent, which is what AB/DLism appears to be.

I think it's reasonable to worry about whether your favorite kind of diaper will be available in 10 years, yes. AB/DL diaper companies, though they aim to cater to the preferences of AB/DLs, are all (currently) too small to own their own diaper production equipment, and so they are stuck offering AB/DL-ized versions of what the big companies can produce for them. Those bigger companies, however, don't really care about AB/DL and are instead serving the incontinence/medical communities. So... yep. Times are a-changin', and always will be.

As for whether there will be AB/DLs in 10 years' time: If the whole "transitional object" theory (EDIT: or theories like what Drifter just posted) is correct and explains many/most diaper fetishes, then the thickness and other traits of a diaper may be fairly irrelevant to whether somebody develops an attachment to them. I was a cloth baby, for instance, so the evolution of disposables clearly has nothing to do with why I like diapers. Sure, a lot of people here on ADISC are going to say things like, "I like diapers because I trained late," or "I like diapers because I was jealous of all the attention my baby brother got," but nobody really knows. Heck, I speculate about this stuff all the time. All we know, though, is that we like diapers, and so we make these connections to childhood experiences because it's comforting to have some kind of explanation, even if it's wrong. If every kid who trained late or was jealous of a sibling ended up liking diapers, the world would be overrun by DLs, so there is clearly something else going on -- some predisposition or other childhood event, perhaps.

Ultimately, the data will speak, but it may take a little time.
    Last edited by Cottontail; 22-Sep-2013 at 17:32. Reason: typo

I would not be surprised at all if more AB/DL diapers in the future are cloth-backed instead of plastic-backed. I know I have a slight preference for plastic-backed diapers, since that's what I'm familiar with when I was growing up. I'm not entirely sure it's solely determined by the AB/DL market, however, since I think that AB/DLs make up a fairly small percentage of the adult diaper market. Bambinos, for example, are pretty much the same as Secure Plus, but with different designs. Assuming that Secure Plus is a more popular brand than Bambino, what they make will determine what Bambinos will make (although this could be an interesting economics problem...).

Regarding the "AB/DL b/c of late potty-training" hypothesis - I don't buy it. I feel like people speculate just as often that it's because they were potty trained too early. Cottontail is exactly right about it being more complicated, because the world's not overrun by DLs. I know most DLs have early memories of diapers (trying them on, etc), but I'd like to know how many non-DLs did similar things but didn't ended up keeping that interest in diapers. That might be hard data to gather, however - and maybe is a fruitful topic for another post.

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    I think it's reasonable to worry about whether your favorite kind of diaper will be available in 10 years, yes. AB/DL diaper companies, though they aim to cater to the preferences of AB/DLs, are all (currently) too small to own their own diaper production equipment, and so they are stuck offering AB/DL-ized versions of what the big companies can produce for them. Those bigger companies, however, don't really care about AB/DL and are instead serving the incontinence/medical communities. So... yep. Times are a-changin', and always will be.

As for whether there will be AB/DLs in 10 years' time: If the whole "transitional object" theory (EDIT: or theories like what Drifter just posted) is correct and explains many/most diaper fetishes, then the thickness and other traits of a diaper may be fairly irrelevant to whether somebody develops an attachment to them. I was a cloth baby, for instance, so the evolution of disposables clearly has nothing to do with why I like diapers. Sure, a lot of people here on ADISC are going to say things like, "I like diapers because I trained late," or "I like diapers because I was jealous of all the attention my baby brother got," but nobody really knows. Heck, I speculate about this stuff all the time. All we know, though, is that we like diapers, and so we make these connections to childhood experiences because it's comforting to have some kind of explanation, even if it's wrong. If every kid who trained late or was jealous of a sibling ended up liking diapers, the world would be overrun by DLs, so there is clearly something else going on -- some predisposition or other childhood event, perhaps.

Ultimately, the data will speak, but it may take a little time.
    I agree with the fact that your favorite diaper may be gone in 10 years time so either stock up on your favorites sometime soon or get used to the more expensive custom prices that places like ABU and Bambino offer. I think DL tendencies will decrease in this generation. Diapers are going right toward padded protective underwear. They will no longer look like "Diapers" at some point it all will look like thicker underwear so the diaper interest will change and become different.