Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are there any vocalists in the house?

Cool Are there any vocalists in the house?

I love coffee, I love tea
    I love the Java Jive and it loves me
    Coffee and tea and the java and me
    A cup, a cup, a cup, a cup, a cup (Boy!)
    ----------------------------------------------

I needed an interesting way to start the thread . And it so happens, back in my school years when I done choir (yes I actually done choir ) that was one of our main warm up songs before the good stuff.

So here's the thing: Due to my many on and off again hobbies (I really need to drop some) I have decided to once again pick up my good ol' Axe and get back into singing. I am deciding whether or not I'll join back up with my local country/rock club - but I'd like to get my voice back in tiptop shape before I really get back into it.

So the question is, how do you vocalists keep your voice in tiptop shape? What I used to do is pick the lowest and highest note I could go on the piano, and practice until I could crack it. Also, in my later years, I seem to be getting more phlegm on the throat and one side of my nose always blocks up (gross I know, I think it's my asthma).

So any advice is always appreciated.
    Last edited by Note; 19-Sep-2013 at 05:07. Reason: Those spelling mistakes will get ya. ;)

I am a singer/guitarist myself. I just sing all the time. I don't have a set routine. I'm either singing along to my iPod in the car or just around and about. If I am alone in the house and I can pipe up, I love to boom out some operatic vocals.

Try not to consume dairy before you sing, that always makes me a little pleghmy. A nice spot of tea w/honey works wonders.

Cheers, Mittikins. I know from experience that different vocalists have different methods they use to keep their voice in check - whether it be from, drinking certain liquids that work best for them, to inhaling different vapors or what I mentioned above.

Singing has always been a big part of my life and mental stability, but I don't like sounding like crap either,

Funny story: When I was dairy farming with my mate and singing along to the music during milking's (keeps the cattle calm) he was bragging on about signing me up for the "New Zealand Has Talent" show. I don't know if he was just patronizing me or if he was serious, but thinking back to it now I should have gone through with it; probably could have made a career out of it.

Next time.

I do a bit of singing too, was in an auditioned choir back at school. We used 'one, one two one, etc' as a warm-up. Original I know. As for vocal techniques, well, I've never trained my voice at all. I just get up and sing, and it's always worked for me.

The one, one two one technique completely slipped my mind. I might have to reincorporate that.

ive never sang in a choir or a group really but i have been told my singing is good. Some of my coworkers say i should try for idol. Quite recently actually a group of friends forming a band has asked that i be their singer. id like to but ive never really tried my hand at lyrics and am fairly sure i wont be very good with writing songs. for the record im a smoker so i am more suited to heavier type rock vocals, as apposed to operatic or pop stuff. My main weakness is gonna be high notes, i haven't sang as much as i used to in recent years so higher notes are a bit of a challenge for me and i find that when i really stretch my voice i have trouble hitting the right pitch. I really just need to practice alot more and try and smoke less. SO, what do u guys think of this? should i try and make time to do this? I'd have no problem singing for a band, and if it went somewhere that'd be great as i have nothing else really going for me right now.

EDIT: when i say heavier i dont really mean heavy like heavy metal. My voice is probably more in the range of metallica. I love metallica and will sing along to all of their songs, this is where one of my coworkers heard me and said i need to try idol. one time when i was really trying to give my voice a workout, i was trying "crazy on you" by heart. nobody was around to hear me obviously, but after like 5 to 10 minutes in the shower, i felt like i was getting pretty close, or at least as close as a guy is gonna come.

I like to sing anything from Adele to Alice in Chains. If a singer's voice is too low or high for my register I love finding harmonies. Most of what I sing falls into the rock/metal category, plus I do screamy/growly vocals too. But to keep my voice in shape, I just sing, every day.

Quote Originally Posted by askmelater47 View Post
    ive never sang in a choir or a group really but i have been told my singing is good. Some of my coworkers say i should try for idol. Quite recently actually a group of friends forming a band has asked that i be their singer. id like to but ive never really tried my hand at lyrics and am fairly sure i wont be very good with writing songs. for the record im a smoker so i am more suited to heavier type rock vocals, as apposed to operatic or pop stuff. My main weakness is gonna be high notes, i haven't sang as much as i used to in recent years so higher notes are a bit of a challenge for me and i find that when i really stretch my voice i have trouble hitting the right pitch. I really just need to practice alot more and try and smoke less. SO, what do u guys think of this? should i try and make time to do this? I'd have no problem singing for a band, and if it went somewhere that'd be great as i have nothing else really going for me right now.

EDIT: when i say heavier i dont really mean heavy like heavy metal. My voice is probably more in the range of metallica. I love metallica and will sing along to all of their songs, this is where one of my coworkers heard me and said i need to try idol. one time when i was really trying to give my voice a workout, i was trying "crazy on you" by heart. nobody was around to hear me obviously, but after like 5 to 10 minutes in the shower, i felt like i was getting pretty close, or at least as close as a guy is gonna come.
    Yeah give it a go. If the opportunity presents itself to go on one of those idol shows, then do it, you might surprise yourself. I have always found it rather hard myself to gauge how I sound - so for me, it comes down to what others think.

Yeah I'm a non smoker - but I have always been told my voice is more suited for country rock or soft rock; although, I have been known to be a screamer at times too (that's what she said ).

If you really want to get your voice in tune (smoker or non smoker) use the keyboard/piano method mentioned above. Find the notes where your voice cracks (only that note, don't go above it) and hold that octave/key; Humming or even singing out a word works well.
    There is caution with this method though, drink lots of water and don't try to stretch out that octave for to long or you'll end up loosing your voice for about two weeks like I did. That really sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by MattiKins View Post
    I like to sing anything from Adele to Alice in Chains. If a singer's voice is too low or high for my register I love finding harmonies. Most of what I sing falls into the rock/metal category, plus I do screamy/growly vocals too. But to keep my voice in shape, I just sing, every day.
    Fear the growly voice }:-)

I find even humming is quite harmonious too.
    Last edited by Note; 19-Sep-2013 at 07:52.

Quote Originally Posted by MattiKins View Post
    I love Alice in Chains too, and even though im not so big on adele, i have sang adele at work to please the girls and also see how well i can sing adele. I like how she uses such a large range, it makes for good practice. I have another friend who is really really good at drums, and we have several friends who are good at guitar, one is truly amazing he can play the damn thing without picking or fretting its wild. My drummer friend is like my brother, his family is my second family, hes all about heavy metal and no matter what they cant find a vocalist, they want more of a screamer/growler, which if i could join them and do that they could really go somewhere. imo i can do growly screamy vocals pretty good but my issue is volume, i cant do it much louder than a whisper or maybe an inside voice. any ideas or suggestions there?

I will neither confirm or deny that this is me in the video But it is me singing it on the recording. OK it's me. I did it as a goof and to see if I could do it. Just learning and singing this song really helped to expand my range. I sing it all the time now, just as a good warmup.

Also, Cyndi Lauper has a trick she uses when her voice gets tired or thin, she blows up a balloon. I tried it once, it works. Before you sing, just blow up a balloon once or twice, that will get your diaphragm engaged.