Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thirties

Default Thirties

Here's a good one for the rest of y'all. I had to get a physical yesterday for work. Come to find out my eyesight is not as good as it used to be. All I could think is that my thirties are really hitting me hard. Arthritis, Irritable Bowel and now my eyes. I just turned thirty three last month. Anyone else had it like this?

Not in my thirties. Mine happened in my 60's. Went blind in left eye, urge IC, and then when I was 70 Started on BP meds and had cataract surgery.

I started wearing Bi-focal 's when I was 35. Now that made me feel old.

I'm 29 - with degenerative arthritis from the neck down, scoliosis, degenerative disk disease in my lower lumbar and my neck, cerebral palsy, farsightedness (wearing glasses since I was 6), ADHD and the "bone age" of a 65yr old.

Sorry to hear of your troubles but I don't see how your age figures into this unless you've got some kind of degenerative aging syndrome. Things shouldn't be breaking down this early due to age. I expect your doctors will have more insight.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Sorry to hear of your troubles but I don't see how your age figures into this unless you've got some kind of degenerative aging syndrome. Things shouldn't be breaking down this early due to age. I expect your doctors will have more insight.
    pointed out my age because the OP was concerned due to having troubles at the age of 30.

I've been seeing doctors for this crap all my life. I've asked them about it.

It's because of the way my bones and cartilage grind and wear against each other in ways they shouldn't. I was born premie so my muscles and central nervous system didn't form as strongly as they should have. The 2 forms of cerebral palsy (spastic and ataxic) that I have, alone pulls things out of alignment. It's been a domino effect ever since I could walk. The way I had to hold myself to walk with the CP caused the scoliosis to advance quicker than it should have. After some outpatient surgery and constant physical therapy, it stopped progressing but it didn't change that my bones and muscles grind at odd angles because of my gait and the way my feet roll. I found out about the degenerative disk disease and degenerative arthritis via MRI a few years ago.

My left knee, left ankle, both hips have half the cartilage they should, and the discs between the vertebrae in my spine are wearing down. The docs have told me that "bone aging" is fairly common in people with CP, and its worse with people like myself that have combo effects. While the bones themselves are 29 years old - they are in the condition that would be seen in someone around the age of 65. I've been told numerous times that in the next 4 years, if I want to keep walking I will need spinal reconstruction surgery (at the very least a fusing of vertabrae), hip replacements, knee replacements, and possibly surgery on my ankle.

But I can't afford any of it, and certainly not without Medical Insurance.

I had to start wearing reading glasses a couple of years ago at the age of 44. That made me feel old.

It may just be a prescription change for your glasses that's needed. You shouldn't really have any age related vision issues yet. Unless its related to your other issues....

Pretty much all my friends had to go the bifocal route around age 45, as did I, just to give you a point of reference. Other than that, the part of my prescription to correct nearsightedness is the same as it was when I discovered I needed glasses at 15. (Couldn't see the eye chart for the driver's test)

Well Trevor everyone different. If everyone had the same issues at the same age. You would be right. But each of us are different. Some people might have illness when they are born. Others It would be in the teens or adult hood. I started having Seizures in my late 20's. It took 15 years to get them under control.

Quote Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
    Well Trevor everyone different. If everyone had the same issues at the same age. You would be right. But each of us are different. Some people might have illness when they are born. Others It would be in the teens or adult hood. I started having Seizures in my late 20's. It took 15 years to get them under control.
    I understand that and would agree. I wouldn't say someone is too young to be incontinent, for instance. Still, I don't think it's reasonable, without a professional opinion, to think that a host of physical ailments are related to advancing age when that age is not advanced. Everyone is different but we're also enough the same to be able to draw general conclusions about what is and isn't common. The whole point of the thread is asking if it's common. It's not.