Thread: Being a DL, and awkwardness with parents..

Default Being a DL, and awkwardness with parents..

I want to talk about the awkward moments that comes with being an AB/DL, especially when it comes to our family members.

I will start with my personal experiences. I have been caught by my parents about 3 or 4 times with adult diapers as a kid, starting from the age of 12/13, again at 16, and again at 19. I was never good at hiding diapers.

I would never tell my mum or dad why I liked diapers, I simply didn't want to. It was my thing I wanted to deal with myself. I did not want to talk to anyone about it.

My parents did like not the fact I liked/kept diapers. They hated it and thought it was abhorrent. They thought that I was deeply psychologically disturbed because of my diapered desires...

I do not talk about my DLism around my parents, and these days I generally get along with them, however whenever I see or visit them, at the back of my mind the diaper subject lingers in my brain.

• If I am watching TV with them and a diaper advert/commercial is shown, I shiver on the inside and I feel awful.
    • If the subject of babies or toddlers comes up in conversation with them, I am terrified that the topic will turn to diapers.
    • If (in the future) my girlfriend falls pregnant and we have a child, what happens if I need to change their diaper in front of my parents? I am dreading this.
    • If I walked down the diaper/nappy aisle in the supermarket with my parents, I would feel nervous and uneasy.

I wanted to know if anyone else has had these sort of feelings, and how they cope with them. I am a happy DL, I love my diapers just like you guys do. They make me feel happy, and safe. But these sort of feelings still linger on (I am 22 now) and float about in my mind whenever my parents are around.

I get this if someone is near my diaper stash in my room, i just feel like i want to get them out ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by RouteLeader
    I do not talk about my DLism around my parents, and these days I generally get along with them, however whenever I see or visit them, at the back of my mind the diaper subject lingers in my brain.
    Considering the fact you live on your own, and the relationship between you and your parents isn't strained (from the information you've provided), a more personal solution would seem to be the best option here overall.

Just from some of those basic fears and feelings you've listed, that's pretty typical and I've seen a lot of people on this forum with similar fears. You are definitely not alone there. However, having the diaper fetish has made you feel a little shameful in some way yes? To that point it's making you doubt yourself how these kinds of situations are going to play out, all because of diapers.

I think it's a good point to be brutally honest with yourself: "I have a diaper fetish. Yes it is weird and that's okay!" It's a shame your folks upon discovering it, reacted a little more negatively than most (obviously). That reaction I think really is at the core of this issue. Whenever you are in such a situation, I think you should assert to yourself "They are just diapers, that's it. Nothing to it. I have a fetish for them. I like them. And that's okay" Don't let such an object have such power over you.

Those kind of self-reassurances of confidence in who you are in those types of situations, I think would be good practice to start.

As to the 2nd and 3rd points you made, the usual response on the topic I've seen from other people is thus: "When the chips are down, you are a father first." Don't let other's perhaps perception ( perhaps forgotten or now minuscule) dictate your action there. Since this is so far in the future, there's little need to be dreading it...when it hasn't yet happened! But as one man to another, we know what's important in that situation. Don't doubt yourself.

If for whatever reason it get's brought up (and I doubt it will) you can go from there and have a frank conversation. I wouldn't worry though.

I hope some of that helped.

As always, Geno has given very good advise and insight. I was thinking the same, that part or maybe all of the problem is you, in that you still feel guilty about wearing and wanting diapers. Even at 65, I sometimes feel this way, so I get it. The more I have come out to my wife, the better I've felt about it, and it has become liberating. I'm not suggesting you do that with your parents, but simply with yourself. The more you come out to yourself, the better you will feel. This is my opinion, and I could be wrong, but I think I'm on track.

My mother knows of my diaper obsession but does not know I still have them. When she found out it was a fetish. Now it is a comfort / convenience thing. I want to be able to go in a diaper in public. With cloths on of course but it is something I have not accomplished yet. It still is a desire to be incontinent but I realize now you can only get so close. You will always have the ability to go back. It will be hard at first but you can regain the ability to hold it longer again.

I just have the fear of it becoming a fetish again. I don't want to go back to AB/DL as a fetish. I am taking a break from them and have gone three days so far without wearing a diaper. I am not sure how long I will go but I want to go back to them only for a comfort and or a convenience thing. I tell you what though. I think I would rather my mother not know about my baby side. If she finds out about my diapers I think I can handle it but my baby side it scares the crud that what if she found out that I like Pacifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by RouteLeader View Post
    the diaper subject lingers in my brain.
    I believe you hit the nail on the head with this observation in your post but its going to be hard for me to explain so I'll give you an example of how it happens to all of us.

I've driven for many years and in that time I rarely noticed what most of the other vehicles on the road are. VW, Ford, Audi, BMW cars are all background noise, coloured objects moving around on the road but whenever I see a Ford Transit I notice it straight away. Why ?

I love Transit vans so I have an extra interest in them, your BMW or Chrysler just doesn't ring my bell so I don't notice it.

A similar thing is happening when you visit your parents and see a connection with diapers but instead of being pleased by the diaper reference, you are getting reminded of the awkwardness and shame of them knowing you are a DL.

I wouldn't actually do this but I'd guess that if you asked them, there would be a good chance that they hadn't even noticed the advert or made any connection to you or DL's.

I would suggest trying to disconnect the awkwardness by changing the subject in your mind. (Mean trick coming up.)

Don't think about pink elephants.

Did you see what I did, I most probably changed your thoughts from this post to pink elephants. (told you it was mean :P )

The next time you visit your parents and a reference to diapers comes up, rather than dwell on the negative, think 'pink elephants' and chuckle while it unicycles past the window.
    Last edited by Strontium; 01-Sep-2013 at 11:23. Reason: typo

pepsicolaisgreat

If I'm watching tv with my parents and a diaper commercial comes on or any advertisment that involves babies or toddlers I immediately get up and leave the room.

I find it awkward for some reason when those commercials come on. I use the excuse that I got to use the restroom or I have something important that needs done. lol

My dad once caught me masturbating in a pampers diaper one time in a basement of an old house we used for storage. I was 10 at the time. That was scary when he kicked the plywood in that I had over the old window of the basement and then said. Gotcha.

I laugh now but my heart was racing then. He said I was wondering where you were. And then left. I know he saw the diaper I had on and saw me in a highchair I had down there. And I had my hand down the diaper too.

He just grinned and left. Hadn't spoke about it since and I hope to keep it that way. Though I'm sure he's told mom.

I took off riding my bike for a few hours after that and didn't want to come home. But when I did come home it was really awkward being around my dad. He had a grin on his face every time I was near him. lol

My dad knows an adult baby so that's probably why he didn't say much when he caught me.

I asked my dad one time what he thought of adult babies and that's when he told me that he's good friends with a lady who's one and he went to school with her.

He has nothing against AB/DL.

Although not the OP's issue, but it is worth addressing considering its distinctiveness:

Quote Originally Posted by MLPPebble
    My mother knows of my diaper obsession but does not know I still have them. When she found out it was a fetish. Now it is a comfort / convenience thing. I want to be able to go in a diaper in public. With cloths on of course but it is something I have not accomplished yet. It still is a desire to be incontinent but I realize now you can only get so close. You will always have the ability to go back. It will be hard at first but you can regain the ability to hold it longer again.
    I would advise caution and not pursuit any form of incontinence or dependence on diapers. Diaper wearing should be a small tool once in a while you'd like to indulge in to unwind, relax, or whatever. Having it as a primary coping mechanism and doing it in such a way, really isn't worth it long run. I'm not exactly sure what your ultimate goal is, but I would strongly re-think it.

I just have the fear of it becoming a fetish again. I don't want to go back to AB/DL as a fetish. I am taking a break from them and have gone three days so far without wearing a diaper. I am not sure how long I will go but I want to go back to them only for a comfort and or a convenience thing. I tell you what though. I think I would rather my mother not know about my baby side. If she finds out about my diapers I think I can handle it but my baby side it scares the crud that what if she found out that I like Pacifiers.
    This sounds like something you should ask a little help on (if you haven't already), and something you should probably think about. I will at the moment say there's nothing wrong with having it as a little bit of both. Which is the same for me.

I think every person has to customize their response.
    For me it was rather lucky / easy. My first major embarassing time was when my best friend's mother had me wear protective undergarments after I wet my best friend's bed on a sleepover at age 8. I was mortified but in the back of my mind content as it gave me security to sleep over his house again even though I had to wear a diaper and plastic underpants. My parents never said anything but I am fairly confident my best friend's mother told them the action she had to take (especially after the first accident wetting the bed & my underwear and pajamas came home full of urine!).

Later in my teenage years when I bought my own plastic underpants (due to wet dreams that I thought meant I was having accidents again, albeit small quantity) my mother must have seen them beneath my regular underwear as she washed and put my clothes away and at times I would find my entire underwear pile shifted over to the opposite side of my drawer. My father even noticed my plastic underpants when I left them on top of the bed one time and he knocked on my door to ask me something (I was changing out of them when he knocked and I meant to throw the covers over them but forgot as I put my jeans on). My parents never even hinted about knowing I had / used them.

I equate this all to "private moments" and compare it to my parents never talking to me about their sex lives or other personal body functions. I am sure if I ever wanted to discuss this aspect with them they would be accepting of it though maybe disillusioned about it being a fetish.