Thread: Legacy metal bands or current?

Default Legacy metal bands or current?

Let's discuss bands who specialize in the genre of metal, with the spectrum running from Hair to Black-grind-death grunts and everything in between.

Present a specific band or particular subgenre that interests you and if possible refrain from ranting or flaming on someone's choice, and rather open new minds to a greater talent pool, to the end of supporting music made with human hands.

My immediate area of focus is the classic "Ozzy/Tony/Geezer/Bill" lineup of Black Sabbath and of the early 80s American bands directly influenced by New Wave Of British Heavy Metal acts, and a few random bands such as April Wine, though they may not be especially heavy the Canadians could teach most American bands a thing or 2.

Your thoughts on my submissions, or offer your own

I love the original Sabbath lineup and was disappointed that Bill was not a part of the reunion. They pretty much spearheaded the genre.

For my pick, I am going to choose Wintersun. The first album, self-titled, was just Jari Mäenpää writing and recording most of the instruments and Kai Hahto playing drums. It received tremendous critical acclaim and is regarded by many as the best metal release of the 2000-2010 decade. Their follow-up, Time 1, wouldn't be released until late 2012. By now, Wintersun has expanded to a full band. The album itself received mixed reviews as fans grew tired of waiting, and were mad to only get half of the finished product. Time 2 is slated for a 2014 release.

For me, melodic/epic metal gets no better. The first record is heavy both musically and lyrically and the second is more symphonic/theatrical/cinematic. Great stuff if you put in the time.

Last edited by MattiKins; 25-Aug-2013 at 18:03.

Obligatory Fates Warning plug. The Spectre Within and Awaken the Guardian are perfect and anything but complete, unqualified praise for them is wrong .

Also been listening to a whole lot of Slough Feg and Tank recently.

I used to love Fates Warning (in fact, they are playing near me this fall, I might go see them). I fell away from them over the years but I did get a chance to review the re-release edition of Parallels, which is my favorite album from them. It was amazing hearing those songs after so long.

Interesting thing about Tank, my drummer was in a band called Tank in the early 80's but not THAT one you linked, they had to change their name to Mastermind and then ran into an issue with Dave Mustaine over it. Apparently, he wanted to use that name for some project or other but my drummer's band had been using the name long before and had a release out. Dave was cool, though, and didn't force the issue.

Liking the Slough Feg, thanks for the suggestion!

I always get Fates Warning confused with Merciful Fate, the names are different yet similar. FW I don't recall hearing but I subconciously place them in a Metal Church/ Nevermore vein, probably more due to the Seattle Metal/ Scott Weinrich connection.

If anyone's looking for a criminally overlooked technical thrash outfit; there were these 3 guys who used to roadie for Celtic Frost, and Tom G Warrior sang lead on their demo. They called themselves Coroner, their best stuff is sort of a trilogy;"Punishment For Decadence", "No More Color" and "Mental Vortex". Vocals aren't all that rangey, as the bassist was pulling double duty. Very impressive stuff for a trio

Quote Originally Posted by MattiKins View Post

Interesting thing about Tank, my drummer was in a band called Tank in the early 80's but not THAT one you linked, they had to change their name to Mastermind and then ran into an issue with Dave Mustaine over it. Apparently, he wanted to use that name for some project or other but my drummer's band had been using the name long before and had a release out. Dave was cool, though, and didn't force the issue.
    Ironic, since somebody forced a payoff for the name Megadeth, and he's been stuck with it to the point where he's had to issue very obviously not-Megadeth material under the brand otherwise UMG won't touch it with a 10-foot pole. Could you imagine if John Lennon decided he was the sole owner of The Beatles and the public was just as frustrated with all these Yoko Ono musings being sold as Beatles music as he was not being able to use Plastic Ono Band?

Still like the stuff I grew up with, namely Maiden, Anthrax and Metallica (when they were good), plus a bit of Megadeth. Listened to a lot of thrash and death metal way back when, so that "old school" stuff is still there (Nuclear Assault, Forbidden, Dark Angel, Entombed, Carcass, Grave etc), as is Black Metal, but I've also developed a huge fondness for doom metal. Electric Wizard and Reverend Bizarre are probably first and foremost, but there's also a tonne of great stuff in the underground. In the UK, you have bands like Slabdragger, The Wounded Kings, Conan, Grimpen Mire, Crypt Lurker and Age of Taurus all worth checking out if you're a fan of the low 'n slow

The beauty of metal, of course, is that just when you think nothing else interesting is going to happen, another genre pops into being, or gets rediscovered. Bands like Revocation and Sylosis are giving new life to thrash, then you have all the Meshuggah inspired djent/prog stuff. Actually, I find the latter especially enjoyable, as so much of it is one man projects or entirely web based collaborative stuff, which has a nice DIY ethos to it. Made some great finds via Bandcamp. The likes of Encircle, Wide Eyes and Bendthesky are especially enjoyable.

ETA - for anyone following MoPadded's Coroner suggestion, Anacrusis might be worth checking out.

Quote Originally Posted by MOPaddED View Post
    I always get Fates Warning confused with Merciful Fate, the names are different yet similar. FW I don't recall hearing but I subconciously place them in a Metal Church/ Nevermore vein, probably more due to the Seattle Metal/ Scott Weinrich connection.
    Uh, Seattle metal? FW are from Connecticut.

Their early stuff (especially on The Spectre Within) has a fair bit of Mercyful Fate influence, incidentally.

Re: UK doom, Solstice is ace.

Alice Cooper rang the bell in the 60s and the rest followed. Alice is still heavy in my play list among many of many styles from Judy Collins to Kittie.

Honestly my favored type of metal is symphonic metal. Bands like Within Temptation, Tristania, and maybe Evanescence depending on who you ask.