Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I just quit Facebook

Cool I just quit Facebook

After many wasted hours in front of my computer reading about other people complaining about other people, I found this website, it is so upbeat and friendly that Facebook and my useless apps had to go. Especially after they put a 7 day block on me for requesting a couple of local friends that didn't respond within 7 days.

Yes i have closed my Facebook account forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Moo View Post
    Being open with the world about you being an AB/DL is a mistake.
    If a potential employer finds out, it could cost you a job.
    Yes, ideally what you do with other consenting adults in your own bedroom shouldn't matter to your employer - but unfortunately, some people do still discriminate.

Using FB for AB/DL stuff (ANY AB/DL stuff, not just ADISC) is also a mistake.
    The use of real names opens everyone involved to invasions of privacy.
    Even if you trust your friends, what happens if their account gets hacked, their "friend" gets on their FB, someone makes a mistake with their privacy settings, etc.
    All it takes is one bad apple in this "secret" group, and suddenly all your AB/DL posts become associated with your real name in the eyes of Google and all its users.
    To put it bluntly, you shouldn't be doing anything on FB you wouldn't be happy to publish under your real name in a national newspaper - because that is how public and permanent it is.

On a separate note, the willingness of AB/DLs to use FB at all continues to amaze me.
    FB is making a very deliberate effort to remove any expectations you have of privacy on the net, and replace them with the norm that everything you say online is linked to your real-life ID.
    They are the tip of the spear pushing for this sort of "real names required everywhere" policy. Everyone, even big companies like Google, are following their lead.
    To be blunt, as members of a minority group, we have a great deal to lose from this, and I'm very surprised that AB/DLs are so willing to use FB at all.
    It isn't just us: there are a ton of people with a huge amount to lose from the way FB is acting. Here are some examples.

Bottom line: we're never going to have a presence on FB, I think anyone doing AB/DL stuff on FB needs to get their head examined, and ultimately, I'd discourage everyone here from using FB at all, given their deliberate efforts to erode privacy on the net.
    I was reading the quote above then the next thread I read was your 'I just quit Facebook'

I've been thinking about deleting my FaceBook account for the last few months and I think its time I bite the bullet and just do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Strontium View Post
    I was reading the quote above then the next thread I read was your 'I just quit Facebook'

I've been thinking about deleting my FaceBook account for the last few months and I think its time I bite the bullet and just do it.
    Indeed. And I just use it for photographic adventures.

My facebook I just use to keep in contact with old friends due to how easy it was to find them. Keep in touch with family because it is easier than email. Post idle self-masturbatory musings. And have obscene picture wars with my roommate and a few friends I live near. I've about won the obscene picture war because he gets unnerved by my diaper pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Strontium View Post

Fully agree with keeping it all private the only one's that know about me is this new community and my wife.. no one else need know, i just had enough of Facebook and their negative outlooks on life and their derogatory statements about everybody else's privacy and the fact they won't remove offensive content even when reported to Facebook.

Having a much better day now and feeling much more in control.

Yes FB is.... meh... garbage. It's the modern day tool for spying or measuring one's own life against others'. There is no real feedback there other than 'look at me!' It quickly outgrew it's uselfulness to me.

It became nothing more than a reality show.

For some that is highly engaging and entertaining. It's not for everyone.

I never use FB to many bad things can happen there plus comp problems come if you click the wrong thing.

Facebook has turned into a hackers haven. I've been hacked and people trying to log onto my account. The only thing I do there now is play games the rest of it sucks. May just delete my account to.

I have only been hacked once because it said I had logged in from another location. Thanks to security, the website informed me of that when I logged in and I clicked no I didn't log in from another location and I changed my password and wrote on my wall someone tried logging into my account. Everything looked the same and it didn't appear nothing was posted on my wall but you never know if they sent PMs to my "friends."

I use it for family. I also don't have my phone number on there nor address or email. I also don't put on there I wouldn't share in real life to anyone. I have lot of it set to private I don't want to share to the public and only "friends" can see it.

I refuse to do anything AB/DL related and I am not creating a separate account for it. I also don't share I am on vacation or away from home. I would rather do it when I get back and if I have people at home still, it's okay.

It's all about what you don't want to put on there. But some over share.

I mainly use it for news feed. I have liked so many pages I go on there and find interesting articles on my wall. I am also on there for groups.

Well, good decision.

Ive never seen anything (or at least not much) positive in stuff like Facebook/Twitter/etc, never had an account on any of those sites (even though many, many people want me to finally sign up), and guess what:
    Im still alive.

This hunt for more and more "friends", the need to post status updates in 4-minute-intervals and share private information with strangers... basically the whole system is a bad joke in my opinion.
    I can somehow understand people saying they want to stay in contact with friends or relatives far away, but seriously, even then there are alternatives.

Take this, Zuckerberg!
    :p