Thread: Sewing bunnies!! (& teddy bears!)

Default Sewing bunnies!! (& teddy bears!)

Hey guys! I'm so excited to have finished this muslin of a stuffed animal pattern

Have a crappy 2AM iPod photo!

http://oi42.tinypic.com/5yvo8o.jpg

This is basically my first sewing project since I was 10 or 12 years old. It took me about 2 days of hand-sewing. So ... I'm pretty happy with it

His main attribute is:
    BEING HUGGABLE

For real -- my totally serious, macho, manly cowboy S/O wouldn't let go of him for like 10 minutes when I showed him what I was working on. Why? "HUGS! MINE."

He's about 15 inches high, perfectly sized to hold in your lap and proven ideal for hugging ^.^ (that was my whole process while stuffing him: *hug* "Nope, more here, less there. *hug* Better!")

He's made of cheapie muslin, so cost about $3 in fabric! Since he is a prototype and liable to get trimmed/resewn/experimented with, this is a good thing. It also makes him kinda itchy to hold for long periods Later I will be making them in fleece.

I made him from Simplicity's 9524 "bunny, bear & dog" pattern. The only change I made was to stuff his ears a bit instead of leaving them floppy and flat. This way they are delightfully soft and a bit poofy

I'm gonna make some modifications though! Next time I'll make the teddy bear variation, aaand:
    • limbs won't flop outward every chance they get
    • ADD A TAIL
    • muzzle shape
    • paw shape/pads
    • machine sewn! (the repair part for my new-to-me sewing machine will be here~)

SO YEAH! I have begun the search and/or creation process of the perfect cuddle toy.

Search function does not avail me... Please tell me I'm not the only one who likes makin stuff!

Oh, and what do you like in a plushie/teddy, good people of ADISC?

MY mom took my stuffed toy and cut it up to use for a pattern to make other stuffed toys when I was 12. She thought a 12 year old boy was to old to be sleeping with a stuffed toy. I think she was wrong. As an adult I have always had a stuffed toy to sleep with. My Teddy now is 13 Years old.

I've got a book on bear construction. I've not gotten around to making some. I have bears from very small up to a 54" one. I have one about 2' tall that currently occupies the bed. My wife has capped the number that can be in the bed at anyone time.

Ahh! FaennaJo that bunny is gonna be SO CUTE when its finished. (What am I saying, it already is adorable! <3 ) Thank you for sharing with us.
    Can I ask - how in the world did you manage such clean seams while hand stitching? I've never been able to manage that, what's your secret?

I've got sewing patterns for plushies, but I haven't made any yet. I've tried hand-stitching clothing before (My friend makes her dresses by hand) but the seams were never that great. I mostly make the clothes with my sewing machine when I've got a table and to embellishments (eyelets, embroidery, lace, ruffles, ribbon lattice, ribbon flowers, etc...) by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by FaennaJo View Post
    i went to school with him!!!

nice job, btw. i used to have a 'cuddly' rabbit (more of a hare, really) of the olden style (with movable limbs and as in, not really soft enough for cuddling). my sister pinched it from me during the move up here. i punched her for it.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyrallen View Post
    MY mom took my stuffed toy and cut it up to use for a pattern to make other stuffed toys when I was 12. She thought a 12 year old boy was to old to be sleeping with a stuffed toy. I think she was wrong. As an adult I have always had a stuffed toy to sleep with. My Teddy now is 13 Years old.
    <3 I'm so sorry she did that to you, Kenny.
    There's definitely value in having something cuddly to sleep with! Even if you sleep in bed with another person, they're no replacement for a good teddy.

Quote Originally Posted by willnotwill View Post
    I've got a book on bear construction. I've not gotten around to making some. I have bears from very small up to a 54" one. I have one about 2' tall that currently occupies the bed. My wife has capped the number that can be in the bed at anyone time.
    Haha! I used to have that problem, too. When I was little I had a queen-size bed and about 2/3 of it was covered in stuffed animals. Mind you, this was at a time when I only took up half or a third of the bed's length, myself, so there was room!

You seem like a bear connoisseur, anything particular you'd like to share or anything that you look for? I have an eye on possibly making & selling bears (or bunnies) specially for people who to cuddle them... which categorically includes ABs (once I come up with a really nice and functional design, that is)

Quote Originally Posted by ade View Post
    i went to school with him!!!

nice job, btw. i used to have a 'cuddly' rabbit (more of a hare, really) of the olden style (with movable limbs and as in, not really soft enough for cuddling). my sister pinched it from me during the move up here. i punched her for it.
    LOL! That is really funny AND totally understandable. No one in my family really liked toys the way I did so I didn't have much competition

Lots of the patterns out there, especially free online ones, are for jointed bears. But all the storebought ones I've ever owned were kind of ...hard, and stiff, and not all that snuggly. It's put me off trying those patterns. I really like the soft-bodied ones that just feel perfect sitting in your lap

Thank you for reading and commenting, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Paxy View Post
    Ahh! FaennaJo that bunny is gonna be SO CUTE when its finished. (What am I saying, it already is adorable! <3 ) Thank you for sharing with us.
    Can I ask - how in the world did you manage such clean seams while hand stitching? I've never been able to manage that, what's your secret?

I've got sewing patterns for plushies, but I haven't made any yet. I've tried hand-stitching clothing before (My friend makes her dresses by hand) but the seams were never that great. I mostly make the clothes with my sewing machine when I've got a table and to embellishments (eyelets, embroidery, lace, ruffles, ribbon lattice, ribbon flowers, etc...) by hand.
    Thank you Paxy!

I did several things to try to get it as neat as possible. Mostly, I followed ALL the directions in the pattern. *lol*

• pre-shrunk the fabric, then ironed it
    • cut the pattern, then ironed it
    • sewed seams in the order directed, using pins & tracing a seam allowance line on the fabric with a pencil so I kept a straight/even line
    • snipped seam allowance on curves, then ironed it (still inside out)
    • MADE VERY VERY TINY STITCHES (about 15 per inch inside, 30 per inch on visible outer seams)
    • made sure each stitch was tight as I sewed

The nice-looking seams are mostly ones where I used backstitch -- leapfrogging from the middle of the last stitch forward, which anchors each one -- instead of straight stitch/running stitch, which tends to be looser and when you pull it the whole seam tightens like a drawstring. Backstitch looks much neater and seems stronger to me, which is why I used it for points of strain and pressure, but it's a little harder to keep perfectly in line, which is why I used straight stitch for long bits of straight seaming. Next time I may do backstitch all the way because of how much more consistent it seems.

But IT WAS A LOT OF WORK and I'm probably going to wait till my sewing machine gets fixed before I make another one. LOL

To be honest I'm probably not going to "finish" this one. I so want to redesign the pattern! He'll probably get unstuffed and modified, then eventually I'll refine it by making another one out of fresh fabric with the altered pattern. I did try some button eyes and embroidered a quick bunny nose -- which helped me realize that I'm super picky about faces and I'd better spend some time working on it separately To the concept art!! Making formulas for most appealing faces ahoy!

I think I love to sew, actually. I just literally haven't since I was a kid, except minor clothing repair and the like. And I'd love to learn to embroider!!oh my gosh. I can't even imagine taking on a project as huge and complicated as a lolita dress, though. That must take some serious courage!

What kind of plushie patterns do you have! I appear to be in the market for interesting new patterns... (& I'm trying to convince myself not to take apart my favorite teddy to figure out how they made him ahahaha no not Frederick anything but Frederick!)

I have a lot of the "collectible" ones both my favorite: Russ Berrie's Bears of the Past as well as a lot of Boyds. I used to have a Boyd's Visa card that paid off in bears after you accumulated a certain number of points as well as visiting their "attraction" store in Gettysburg. Mostly, I like bears that you can cuddle sleep with that have some "personality" to their appearance. My wife does think my big bear is creepy though. He used to be sitting at our dining room table, but now he's in my office in the spare chair. I like to drive with the bears in the passenger seat. Most adults ignore them but boy the kids notice them right away.

Wow! That is a fine job and a fine bunny! I do not sew but can appreciate the time and effort it took to create. It's kinda like sculpting in a way.

Completely impressed.

Are you going to put a face and clothes on it?

Thought I'd give everyone an update!

I've mostly finished the Hug Bunny. He has a face!

http://oi41.tinypic.com/2isebt2.jpg

That pink fabric that WAS going to be his jacket ... but oh my lord, I have to design that from scratch and it's harder than you'd think. (He is not a reasonable shape!) But I'll probably give it another go. I can hardly give him away in the nude.

I also dismantled my faaavorite teddy, Frederick, to copy his pieces for a pattern. Don't worry! He's back in one piece, and getting a good bath before I stuff him again I love him so terribly. I've missed sleeping with him! But I want to make more, and I couldn't find any similar patterns. He will be good as new in a day or two!

Here's a shot of him before (without his usual scarf):

http://oi44.tinypic.com/312jx1e.jpg

After I get F'edick all done up, I may pause on the crafts and do some pants. That's the entire reason I wanted to start sewing, after all, & I still need them! (I have looked and looked for light, airy, full-length, *cool* pants. Apparently they don't exist ... yet. I am determined to make TX summers more bearable.)

That's it for now! Thanks for reading