Thread: Re: Nuk5 - Question

Default Re: Nuk5 - Question

Question for people with Nuk5's.

Been using mine for a couple days now (love it compared to the other paci's/dummies I have) however - I've noticed that my teeth close on either side of the nipple if I close my jaw all the way.

I was wondering if fully-sized adults with Nuk5's have this issue as well? After 30min or so my jaw starts to hurt and I have to put it down, which makes me sad.

Sounds like it may be a bite issue. I have irregular teeth, a bad overbite AND a "deep" bite" (where the upper teeth come down to cover the lower teeth), and generally not a very large mouth, so I was wary of the Nuk 5 too.

What I've noticed is that because my deep bite causes the pacifier teat to tilt forward/down, I need a longer stem. So far the 5 is enough of an improvement, but I may end up getting one of the "7's" from Pacifiers R Us eventually. I did my very best to research teeth alignment affecting choice of pacifier (that's what brought me to ADISC!!!) but nobody seems to care to go into detail about it

I'm not sure if you mean your teeth meet top-to-bottom through the stem, or on the left and right sides of your mouth? Why do you think it makes your mouth hurt? My teeth do ache after a while because it presses on them, but that's said to be normal for a while.

If you think the 5 is just too large and that's causing the problem, they do make a Nuk 4. (Inner Child sells modded ones.)

I have NUK 5's also. One is a NUK 5 that I got from Fetware. I'm not fond of latex so don't use much. I've got a 5 in silicone from Pacifiers are Us which I like.
    But I use my extended teat 7's in silicone every night. I have real bad teeth so those work the best for me. I've been using them for over a year now and they
    work good for me no problems. I still use my 5 in silicone during the day for short periods of time if I want something to suck on.

Quote Originally Posted by FaennaJo View Post
    Sounds like it may be a bite issue. I have irregular teeth, a bad overbite AND a "deep" bite" (where the upper teeth come down to cover the lower teeth), and generally not a very large mouth, so I was wary of the Nuk 5 too.

What I've noticed is that because my deep bite causes the pacifier teat to tilt forward/down, I need a longer stem. So far the 5 is enough of an improvement, but I may end up getting one of the "7's" from Pacifiers R Us eventually. I did my very best to research teeth alignment affecting choice of pacifier (that's what brought me to ADISC!!!) but nobody seems to care to go into detail about it

I'm not sure if you mean your teeth meet top-to-bottom through the stem, or on the left and right sides of your mouth? Why do you think it makes your mouth hurt? My teeth do ache after a while because it presses on them, but that's said to be normal for a while.

If you think the 5 is just too large and that's causing the problem, they do make a Nuk 4. (Inner Child sells modded ones.)
    I have an overbite at the front (though it isn't terrible), so I have to sort of jut my lower jaw out a few centimeters - and the sides of the nipple (if I close my jaws all the way) get bitten. Like its too wide. From what I've figured - Id need a Nuk4 with a long stem...but I don't think they make that particular combo. It's mostly the holding my jaw open constantly so I don't bite the paci that causes the ache.

Ahh ... Playing with mine now, I see what you mean. For me, it does fit behind my teeth well enough that I don't have to actively shift my jaw forward, but the teat is almost too wide to sit there comfortably (it does press my upper molars 'apart' which I feel after a while) ... Something to keep in mind though, the upper palate is usually narrower at the front. The long-stem 7 from Pacifiers R Us might actually sit far enough back in your mouth to fit, widthwise, if that makes sense. I know that when I push mine in as far as it will go, the wideness of the teat doesn't bother me at all like it does in the front.

Discussing this now, I totally want a 7, lol. Now I just have to find the perfect (non-squeaky, yet adorable) shield ...