Thread: How would you go about this?

Default How would you go about this?

I've previously mentioned that I live with my girlfriend and a roommate. I have decided I'm going to tell my roomate about my habits, simply because I'd rather tell her then her finding out. My minds made up in that aspect.

However, I'm having troubles figuring out a way to go about it. I get so flustered because she's seen some of the terrible diaper art (I'm referring to the diaper full moon picture specifically) on sites she visits, and she didn't have a positive outlook on it, but who blames her.

I just want it out of the way, I'm not even looking for acceptance, just knowledge that I have stuff so she doesn't freak out if she ever finds it. Any ideas on what exactly I should say??

Be casual and only give as much information as she really needs to have.

Are you bent on her knowing that you wear? You say you're not looking for acceptance so I assume "wearing in the living room" isn't on the agenda -- so if you just want her to know that you *have* diapers, that's much simpler.

I'd go with something like this:

"Hey, I thought I should let you know I keep some adult diapers around. Just in case you run into any in my room or something. I just don't want you to freak out or be shocked. OK? We cool?"

And if she asks why:

"Man, do you really want to talk about that? I don't. No need to get awkward here, it's a private topic. I just wanted to give you a heads-up since we live together."

There's always a risk of piquing someone's curiosity when you decline to explain things. But you know what, that's not your problem; it's hers. If she's curious, she can A. google it, B. snoop through your room/computer, C. pester you or your girlfriend to explain. Make reasonable preparations, take reasonable precautions, set the basic fact out there and let it be. She probably won't care anyway and you won't have to worry about her finding your stash anymore.

As for obvious baby stuff (including baby-printed diapers) I probably just wouldn't mention it. She may or may not put 2 and 2 together, and again, that's her problem. But sitting down to try and explain it all to her and get into the whys and wherefores would be inappropriate, and probably unwanted. Unless someone is genuinely interested and open-minded (or obviously if it's very important to you that your friend accepts your quirk), there's just no reason to make it part of your relationship. You're roomies; you don't go to bed together; just be bros.

Also, the coolest recitation in the world won't fly if you then spend the next week freaking out and acting loony. Really, just relax. The worst outcome is that she disapproves of something that's not her business and that she has no right to comment on.

I have to ask... but doesn't your girlfriend object to you sharing a room with another girl...?! I'm guessing you have separate beds...?!

Wouldn't it be easier (if it's an option) to get your roommate to swap bedrooms with your girlfriend...? That way she wouldn't even need to come in to your room and you can keep everything behind closed doors.

Pretty sound advice. We have a sort of family relationship, we've lived together for 2 years and we've all agreed we'd like to stay together for the forseable future. That's the main reason I'm freaking, just don't want it to ruin what we have if she jumps to say, peadofile level conclusions. It's just I wear when she's at work and shell come home anytime so sometimes I'm still in them. So I kinda do want to be able to wear in the living room, but I guess that's a little selfish.

Regardless, Telling her about just the diapers is what I may do, it sounds easier and makes sense. It's just she has seen other things, such as a sipee cup and possibly my paci, and I'd just like to get those out of the way too. But I think you're right, keep it cool and maybe just to the diapers and it should be ok? Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    I have to ask... but doesn't your girlfriend object to you sharing a room with another girl...?! I'm guessing you have separate beds...?!

Wouldn't it be easier (if it's an option) to get your roommate to swap bedrooms with your girlfriend...? That way she wouldn't even need to come in to your room and you can keep everything behind closed doors.
    By roommates I simply meant same appartment. We all used to share a bedroom and that was harder but we now live in a 2 bedroom, sorry for the confusion!

Vyse,

I may assume that your GIRLFRIEND KNOWS?

Well if yes, (if not maybe time to tell her first), have her along the talk... I think if your roommate has your GF around to relate to and sees that she's utterly cool with it, it can go over much smoother.

The other part is this: Do not make a big deal out of it... I mean if you sweat like a bursting cloud and act like a crazy serial killer - she is going to assume the worst... if you approach the subject with a bit of a nonchalance it will be much easier for her...
    'cause if you freak out about it in front of her, she will most likely assume it's something terribly terribly wrong.

Like "hey, look, I just wanted to tell you, so you don't freak out by accident, I occasionally wear diapers - why? simply cause I like them. it's pretty harmless, there's a lot of folks into this, just like some like latex or leather... well, I don't really know why... but it's just that. And no, I don't mess - and I don't run around in just diapers... ... but please, if you've got a problem with it, let me know and I'll make my best effort that you never ever see them... ok?"

Just an update: after that cracked article was posted me and my girlfriend were discussing how stupid it was and our roommate asked what was up.
    I decided that was my chance, and told her I was offended because I was one of these. She read it and I explained I just wanted her to know the article was out of wack and I wanted her to know in case she ever found anything.
    She was cool with it, said the article was really rude. So much off my shoulders, no more worrying, thanks a bunch guys

Cool!! Congratulations man You handled that like a pro. So glad it went well for you!