Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hyperloop

Default Hyperloop

Dojomouse » Blog Archive » The Hyperloop – Not just San Fran to LA
    Excerpt:

Like a train or car, the Hyperloop needs a lot of fixed infrastructure before you can send the first vehicle… but once you have that infrastructure you can send a lot of vehicles without needing to build any more track. This means you should focus on journeys that are common to a lot of people – kind of like a big freeway.The Hyperloop is also best suited to journeys where being fast and efficient makes a big difference. This makea it worth the effort of going to a Hyperloop station and getting onboard… rather than the alternative of just walking, driving, or taking a bus (or calling an autonomous car), any of which would probably be better for a journey of a block or so.Finally, we should start with routes that aren’t too long. The route doesn’t earn any money until it’s complete, and it’s going to cost a lot to build. The faster something is in operation and proven, the better.
    Discuss

Cherub

When I first heard about this hyperloop thing, I thought, "What if there is an earth quake?" I'd hate to be in that tube traveling at who knows what speed and have the track break somewhere down the line. Then again, you'd be traveling so fast you probably wouldn't know what hit you.

There have been several debunkings of the hyperloop as actually being practical or being at all plausible at the claimed costs. Perhaps the best debunking I've seen is here, by someone who clearly has some idea of the civil engineering constraints of infrastructure projects.

I have a friend who lives in Los Angeles. His comment was that with congestion in LA and where the station will be as compared to the airport, the time from leaving your front door to arriving in San Francisco by air would only be slightly longer than the time to travel by hyperloop. So immediately, feasibility problems exist even if everything words.

Still and all, it's interesting, and I have to admit I have wondered for a very long time why the sort of conceptual dynamics that goes into pneumatic tubes can't be expanded somehow to human size. I have to congratulate this guy for outside of the box thinking!

America doesn't even have good train infrastructure. I doubt America is going to go from terrible trains to a hyperloop. I imagine the first useful hyperloop will be built somewhere else, and it will be awhile from now.

Designed by the guy who brings you paypal.

Yep, I think that sums up all we need to know. Plus we are already building a high speed train line for the last 10 years and we still haven't put a single track on the ground but have spent millions of dollars doing it.

So clearly we are ready to tackle something that's never even existed and is only a design/theroy on paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Designed by the guy who brings you paypal.

Yep, I think that sums up all we need to know.
    And Telsa. The man who is doing from the ground up what dozens of Car company's couldn't, despite people doubting it exactly like you are now.

Quote Originally Posted by Orcaway View Post
    And Telsa. The man who is doing from the ground up what dozens of Car company's couldn't, despite people doubting it exactly like you are now.
    Did he solely design every single one of Tesla's car with nobody else on board? Also Tesla's weren't the first road legal electric cars.

But they are some of the most expensive. So I'll give him that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Did he solely design every single one of Tesla's car with nobody else on board? Also Tesla's weren't the first road legal electric cars.

But they are some of the most expensive. So I'll give him that.
    No, but he did get the ball rolling.

Legal electric cars? No. Viable and usable? Absolutely