Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: paganism s a religeon

Default paganism s a religeon

hiyas

ok so I was wondering what people think of and if they anything about paganism as a religion and that.

what do people think of it ?

is there anyone on adisc who is or bielives in paganism in some way ?

*raises hand*

I've been a pagan for over twelve years.
    My main Path is Egyptian as a Priestess of Isis and I study a secondary Path of Norse

I have been a bielive of paganism for a long time now. my thoughts on it are based on experience fact and some logical things and such

first off I will talk about the impact of magic on paganism.

in paganism there is what we all magic. in my opinion there are two type of magic. good magic and bad magic.

good magic is used for good and bad magic is used for doing bad things.

for example good magic can be used to help people. we also bielive this magic can be used like charms to help repel eveil and darkness.

wheras bad magic can be used to curse or harm people, or cause misfortune onto others.

I think that a pretty decent start to explaining paganism.

if anyone has any questions put them down or me and I will try to answer best I can ok.

thanx

tennismad

I've always thought of it as a broad classification for a number of older religions of which there seems to be a recent ongoing fad of trying to revive/modernize.

No real opinion other than that. I'm an atheist, but it's not really a big part of who I am, and I'm generally not strongly anti-religion. If people want to buy into one of the belief systems falling under the paganism umbrella, all the power to them.

my aim is simply to try to spread the truth of it. im not trying to convert or make nyone bielive in it. everyone has there own bielifes and although I may not agree with them. I will still respect their religion as I would like mine to be respected

simple

A lot of people refer to it as a cult and not a religion.

Well,

First off any religion can be called a cult...

Any pagan is a very broad Catagory...more broad than Christian as example...

And no pagan does not stand for People Against Goodness And Normalcy...

My gf is pagan...im more of a Darwinist than anything else...

My opinion is what ever people need to makes things add up in thier head is just fine, as long as they keep it to thier self...

More people have been killed over religion than anything else...it's ridiculous....

My opinion is it all boils down to chicken and the egg...

As for religion, that's consciousness was first...

As for non-religions, like Darwinism etc...that's energy/matter was first...

The thing is that no one will most likely ever know...so it's what you believe...

Religion was born of a way to make sence of existence, and to control people as well...back in the day there wasn't bobbies running around...

Non-religion was born of a way to make sense of existence without the use of control...tis the reason religious organizations fear them...

So, we are all adults here and can make up our own minds, and there is only one wrong answer...forcing your views on another...

B

i also find that just because you don't bielive in someone elses religion you should still treat with respect its common curtesy. a lot of religeons also belive in treating people fairly and not judge them because there not the same as you.

good example the Nazis. perfect people blond hair blue eyes lol. my arse everyone is perfect in their own way

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=BoundCoder;1093437]I've always thought of it as a broad classification for a number of older religions of which there seems to be a recent ongoing fad of trying to revive/modernize. QUOTE]

no offence but paganism is not a fad ok. its been around since the time of the romans.

Quote Originally Posted by tennismad View Post
    no offence but paganism is not a fad ok. its been around since the time of the romans.
    I didn't say paganism was a fad. I acknowledged that we are talking about older (pre-abrahamism) in the very line you quoted. I was speaking to its recent popularity in the current younger (high school/college) generation and attempts to modernize it (which I guess would fall under neopaganism).

Either way, no offence was intended. The word "fad" I guess has some negative connotation. Feel free to substitute with trend.