Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to watch Dr. Who for idiots? (like me)

Default How to watch Dr. Who for idiots? (like me)

One of the things that I always thought was so cool in the "geek world" was the Whovians and The Doctor Who universe. A year ago, I had never heard of Dr. Who and when I did some research, I got so overwhelmed with how much people love this and how much there is to know and watch, that I completely stopped researching it and forgot about it.

A few monthes after I had forgotten about it, I went to my first semester at a college I am currently not attending and met friends who were huge Dr. Who fans. Long story short they asked me if I wanted to join them. So I agreed and went with them to watch the very first episode of the 2005 series with the 9th doctor. It was the one with the mannequins and such, I had gotten so freaked out and scared that I got up and left the group (mind you this was the second attempt at watching the episode) and have yet to try and watch it a 3rd time.

I really am interested to see what all the fuss about Dr. Who is about and was wondering if there are any Whovians on ADISC? I mean I am sure there are some, it is a very large fan base after all. If there are any whovians here, would you mind sharing me your experiences and things you love about Dr. Who? And how you feel about the new doctor that was announced, I think his name is Peter Capaldi (the actors name).

P.S. I wish to offend no one if I said something wrong in the post.

Cherub

My favorite Dr. Who nemesis are the weeping angels. I thought they were intriguing in their very concept of being. IF one stops to think of how they are and what they can do, it's pretty cool,,,,,if you one of those angel-like creatures that is.

In looking up 'weeping angel' on wikipedia, I like this clip, it says "that which holds the image of an angel becomes itself an angel"
    hehehe, cool!

watch any episodes you want, skip any episodes you want. The only time stuff happens to the doctor and his friends are at the start and end of seasons "series in europe".

Most episodes are just filler. Some great, some good, a lot bad enough its not even worth the time.

If you're just going from the 2005 reboot and after, make sure to watch the entire season with Rose. It's all very important with a series of clues involving something hairy that leads up to something very, very big. Next up is Martha, who a lot of fans dislike. Still, if you skip her, then you'll miss out on some key elements between Doc Who and its spin-off shows, Torchwood and The Sarah Jane Adventures. After that is Donna. Basically, watch that whole season. It's all worth it for the heart-wrenching payoff. If you're a TV Tropes follower, see also: Emotional Torque. Next up is the Ponds. Specifically, Amy Pond. To put it short, she waited. She waited a long while. To put it directly onto the nose, her "boyfriend" waited a long, long, long, superlong while. And then there's Clara, who a bunch of the fans hate again. I don't hate her myself, in fact, I like her, but you'll have to decide for yourself. For her, just imagine getting shit on by fate harder than conceivably possible.

And there you go. Doctor Who without (mostly) spoilers.

I watch Doctor Who and the amount praise some people give it is ridiculous, if you go in thinking this will be the greatest sci-fi show ever you will be very disappointed because it's nowhere near the level of stuff like Firefly. Doctor Who is a family show aimed at both kids and adults, in the UK it airs at ~7pm on a Saturday which reflects the level of quality of the show. It's meant to be simple enough for kids to easily follow what's going on with a bit of a story arc for the series, the stories are simple enough that anyone can follow it and there aren't really any surprising twists involved. Because it is a family show it's actiony and scary enough so that adults won't find it boring but not enough to scare the kids away permanently, it's PG stuff basically rather than dealing with anything overly adult. Some episodes are great (Blink and Midnight) and some are shit (Love and Monsters being the prime example) but most are alright with more recent series not being as good depending on who you ask.

Don't let this honest review throw you off watching, it's a fun show to watch but it's not as great as some people will have you believe. Start with Christopher Eccleston's first episode and watch on (it does pick up from this episode which isn't that gripping IMO), that is the first of the "New-Who" episodes from the 2005 reboot although David Tennant era is considered the best of the New-Who so you may want to start with the last two episodes of CE's tenure to get into the better episodes.

Cherub

Pajamakitten made reference to several good shows to watch. I've watched many episodes of TorchWood. Torchwood, which is actually Doctor Who letters scrambled around. I've also watched firefly (I think I'm talking about the same show). The space show? I liked the licensed companion. She was cute and quick whited!

Quote Originally Posted by pajamakitten View Post
    I watch Doctor Who and the amount praise some people give it is ridiculous, if you go in thinking this will be the greatest sci-fi show ever you will be very disappointed because it's nowhere near the level of stuff like Firefly.
    Yeah, make no mistake about it, I am pretty sure Dr. Who is a guilty pleasure show. This is not Breaking Bad, or anything. It's no Mad Men! It's usually a pure fun show and very campy (with what seems like fourth-wall breaking self-awareness.) I truly think that people watch it because it connects with some basic inner desires. It's the same reason some people obsess over Star Trek. It's the same reason why people love My Little Pony.

It's a fantasy - a fantasy made up of inner wishes that you (perhaps subconsciously) thought about before you saw the first episode of any of these cult-shows.

Usually in these cult-favorites, there's little realism and little to do with your modern day-in day-out life of suck. Traveling through time is a huge thing for a lot of people. People love thinking about what day / era they would visit if given a chance. People also love the idea of being able to go back and fix stuff they now know better about. I think it drives us all bonkers that we can't go back in time. Well, through Dr. Who you vicariously can!

I used to obsess over various cartoon shows, like The Simpsons. They literally made me feel safer inside while watching them; and not because it was a childlike thing to relate to my AB tendencies. I realized the reason was even crazier than my ABDL draw. In cartoons, there's not a lot of clutter, dirt, and there are normally straight lines. It's minimalistic. Clean. The characters wear the same clothes / hair styles all the time so I don't get confused over who is who. (I have face-blindness / prosopagnosia.) And stuff in cartoons always goes back to the same comforting type of atmosphere every single episode. It's almost always timeless... except for certain big events, like that time Maude Flanders actually did die.

These shows appeal to people who already have the inner desires associated with it. Then through the fan base they create more and more connections to people who are similar to them - people who also have this inner fantasy. With friends and the feeling of being a part of something bigger than yourself, you like that cult-hit even more than you did on your own.

It helps that most people in general are obsessed with the nearly-perfect future (Star Trek) or time-travel (Dr. Who) or loving & gentle comfort (My Little Pony) or a magical-unseen reality hidden from the outside world (Harry Potter.) A lot of people are obsessed with all four of those examples. I'm sure the same person can be in all four fan bases.

So anyway, sorry for my rambling on. I just find cult shows and the reasons certain ones tend to appeal to a huge fan base of people, regardless of intellectual or artistic merit, to be extraordinarily fascinating.

It comes down to this. If you watch a few episodes here and there, Naleas, and you hate it, don't bother with it, then. This is never really going to be the show for you. No matter how popular it is. It's just not your thing. It either awakens inner fantasies in you, or it doesn't. You'll know soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogsy View Post
    Yeah, make no mistake about it, I am pretty sure Dr. Who is a guilty pleasure show. This is not Breaking Bad, or anything. It's no Mad Men! It's usually a pure fun show and very campy (with what seems like fourth-wall breaking self-awareness.) I truly think that people watch it because it connects with some basic inner desires. It's the same reason some people obsess over Star Trek. It's the same reason why people love My Little Pony.

It's a fantasy - a fantasy made up of inner wishes that you (perhaps subconsciously) thought about before you saw the first episode of any of these cult-shows.

Usually in these cult-favorites, there's little realism and little to do with your modern day-in day-out life of suck. Traveling through time is a huge thing for a lot of people. People love thinking about what day / era they would visit if given a chance. People also love the idea of being able to go back and fix stuff they now know better about. I think it drives us all bonkers that we can't go back in time. Well, through Dr. Who you vicariously can!

I used to obsess over various cartoon shows, like The Simpsons. They literally made me feel safer inside while watching them; and not because it was a childlike thing to relate to my AB tendencies. I realized the reason was even crazier than my ABDL draw. In cartoons, there's not a lot of clutter, dirt, and there are normally straight lines. It's minimalistic. Clean. The characters wear the same clothes / hair styles all the time so I don't get confused over who is who. (I have face-blindness / prosopagnosia.) And stuff in cartoons always goes back to the same comforting type of atmosphere every single episode. It's almost always timeless... except for certain big events, like that time Maude Flanders actually did die.

These shows appeal to people who already have the inner desires associated with it. Then through the fan base they create more and more connections to people who are similar to them - people who also have this inner fantasy. With friends and the feeling of being a part of something bigger than yourself, you like that cult-hit even more than you did on your own.

It helps that most people in general are obsessed with the nearly-perfect future (Star Trek) or time-travel (Dr. Who) or loving & gentle comfort (My Little Pony) or a magical-unseen reality hidden from the outside world (Harry Potter.) A lot of people are obsessed with all four of those examples. I'm sure the same person can be in all four fan bases.

So anyway, sorry for my rambling on. I just find cult shows and the reasons certain ones tend to appeal to a huge fan base of people, regardless of intellectual or artistic merit, to be extraordinarily fascinating.

It comes down to this. If you watch a few episodes here and there, Naleas, and you hate it, don't bother with it, then. This is never really going to be the show for you. No matter how popular it is. It's just not your thing. It either awakens inner fantasies in you, or it doesn't. You'll know soon enough.
    Opinions!

It takes the right episode with Doctor Who, don't get me wrong, but some really make for an experience that can't be equaled. Most point to "Blink", but a favorite of mine is the bottle episode, "Midnight". Aaaaaanyway, don't get me wrong, at least not on the part of Breaking Bad. That show (while I am a Whovian diehard) definitely does have better acting overall. Mad Men, however, is incredibly overrated.

Again, entirely opinions. This is my opinion. I like Breaking Bad a great deal, but Mad Men just never struck with me in the same way despite being very good nonetheless. It rivals The Walking Dead to me. A great show, but not a legend (even though TWD is breaking records left and right and rapidly becoming legendary outside my useless opinions =P). Eh, I don't know, I feel like I'm negating my own points than helping them. I'll shut up now!

Are you my mommy? That was one of my favorite ones. They seemed to get a bit tedious in the later seasons, but I always enjoyed them. My wife and I have drifted away from Dr. Who, but they sometimes run a Moronathon during holidays and I try to catch up on what I've missed.