Thread: Living at home with mom and dad

Default Living at home with mom and dad

Hey guys I don't post much so if this has been posted about before sorry. I am living at home with my mom and dad and I love them both to death but now that I got a full-time job I want to kind of move out and this stems from a number of problems

1. it's kind of obvious...... no little time
    2. I am kind of tired of lending money to people that often puts us all in a position that sets us up to only just make it through
    3. I am almost 21 I think its a little embarrassing to still live with mom and dad
    4. If I have my own space then I can finally make my own rules and have a real say in what goes on in a space that I pay for instead of giving them money when they need it only to be told my ideas are no good

Just wanted your feedback

You sound like you have a plan. Lending money when it cuts you short is never good, been there done that. Being 20 and lining at home not as bad as me. I'm 61 and back lining with my mom. My disabilities have some thing to do with that. But stiil it not right if you understand.

Only thing I can recommend is really consider your finances. The financials of living on your own extend beyond just bills, food and rent. Really look at how much money you are bringing in, whether you expect to continue bringing in that money, and whether it's going to be enough to cover not only your apartment and expenses, but those other little things that pop up from time to time.

Hi there LittleBoy. I can see your points. There is something to be said for living independently. There's also the emotional support that one gets from parents. You just have to make a list of the positive and negative points and then make a decision. You've got a good start on the list.

As BoundCoder says, make sure you budget your money and also allow for a little nest egg in case something unexpected pops up.

Only you can make the decision to move on. We will be here in case you need to talk some more. Good luck and best wishes on whatever you decide.

Quote Originally Posted by littleboy9985
    2. I am kind of tired of lending money to people that often puts us all in a position that sets us up to only just make it through
    That's an issue apart from living at home. Learn to say no.

I am almost 21 I think its a little embarrassing to still live with mom and dad
    I'm 23 going on 24. Still at home due to college related work. Part time doesn't pay my bills.

It's good to want to live on one's one, but be financially responsible and learn to care of yourself first and foremost before attempting.

thanks guys I really like the feed back its something to think about

I moved out as soon as I graduated college. There were times when I had to walk to work because I didn't have gas money, but it was a start, and over time, I got raises, changed jobs, and kept moving on up. Sooner or later, you have to take that first step if you are going to know freedom.