Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paying it forward

Cherub

Default Paying it forward

I saw this article on Yahoo News, about a Good Samaritan Paying a Stranger's Baggage Fee at Airport. I read some of the comments at the end of the story and it got me thinking. Has anyone on here, ever performed a random act of kindness? I am sure there are plently of stories of such benevolence from ADISC members.

One time, back when I lived in Ohio, I was at a Meijer gas station. As I was finishing pumping gas (filling my tank up) I saw an old lady counting her money, no doubt to figure out how much she could put in her car. I finished and hung up the pump handle and went inside to pay.

When I was next up to the cashier in line, I noticed the old lady hung up her pump handle and was slowly making her way to the store. I asked the cashier how much the old lady had pumped and was told $12. I told the cashier that I would like to pay it for the old lady. The cashier looked at me funny, then smiled and rang up the total.

I stepped aside and when the old lady went to pay for her gas, she was told someone already paid it for her. The old lady looked dumbfounded. "really?" she asked "well isn't that just the nicest thing" she replied.

I left the gas station felling pretty good!

So, how bout it, what sort of random acts of kindness have any of you done? I'd love to hear em!

Cherub

Wow, no one does anything nice for anyone?

This is the first I saw this. I racked my brain trying to think of something nice I did and started to feel a little guilty. We're always giving canned food and old clothes to charities and a few dollars here and there to people on the street. I guess the one big thing I used to do was at my first house, since the yards were so small, I would mow our lawn and the neighbor's (two ladies who didn't have a lawnmower) at the same time. They thanked me profusely and had me over for dinner a couple of times. I also fixed their sprinklers once, too. They eventually moved and the new neighbors weren't nearly as nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherub View Post
    hello;
    i saw your post and applaud your efforts....
    but i myself simply fellow a different path;
    Be careful not to parade your uprightness in public to attract attention; otherwise you will lose all reward from your Father in heaven.

So when you give alms, do not have it trumpeted before you; this is what the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets to win human admiration. In truth I tell you, they have had their reward.

But when you give alms, your left hand must not know what your right is doing;

your almsgiving must be secret, and your Father who sees all that is done in secret will reward you.

Tis the first I'm seeing of this Thread too...just now...

It's been a while, and I can't thank of a particular instance now...but mostly, I try to be sensitive to these kinds of circumstances...and do what I can, whenever I can...

An argument could be made to the degree of altruism, depending I suppose to the degree of motives, and conditions...

Graciously and respectfully accepting a gift like this...is perhaps equally as important...but there may be a lot of context to determine in that too.

Sometimes, what we think of as 'help'...isn't necessarily what's needed, or appreciated...and to further, I caution that you avoid pity, and guilt...because then, all that you may be accomplishing may amount to nothing more than buying yourself off...

Now, I'm certainly not criticizing the accounts of generosity thus far here! Just hoping to offer a wider perspective...is all!

*HUGS*
    With much respect,
    -Marka
    Last edited by Marka; 09-Aug-2013 at 21:57. Reason: adding the quote...

Cherub

Quote Originally Posted by littlelodgewrecker View Post
    hello;
    i saw your post and applaud your efforts....
    but i myself simply fellow a different path;
    Be careful not to parade your uprightness in public to attract attention; otherwise you will lose all reward from your Father in heaven.

So when you give alms, do not have it trumpeted before you; this is what the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets to win human admiration. In truth I tell you, they have had their reward.

But when you give alms, your left hand must not know what your right is doing;

your almsgiving must be secret, and your Father who sees all that is done in secret will reward you.
    That's not what I was doing at all. I saw the news article and thought that it was a good topic that might make for a rather uplifting thread on the forum.

There's more than enough negative going around, so much so that it can get depressing. I thought such a conversation might illustrate how good some of our members on ADISC are. I was simply trying to draw out some of the best of ADISC.

If everyone wants this thread to die, then that's okay. Let it sink to the bottom of the thread list into oblivion.

That's not what I was doing at all. I saw the news article and thought that it was a good topic that might make for a rather uplifting thread on the forum.

There's more than enough negative going around, so much so that it can get depressing. I thought such a conversation might illustrate how good some of our members on ADISC are. I was simply trying to draw out some of the best of ADISC.

If everyone wants this thread to die, then that's okay. Let it sink to the bottom of the thread list into oblivion.
    If I may...I don't believe that you or your efforts were being shot-down! Please don't take it as such...I understand you may recently have felt burned at the stake on the forums...but, I believe that is passed us now...and, I would ever so respectfully, and with compassion...suggest that you might just be shitting in your own nest now... by responding in this manner to what was intended as a broadening...not a hanging.

And, if I didn't make myself clear...Than you Cherub! I commend you! and I appreciate your efforts!

*HUGS*
    -Marka

I usually put in 100-200 hours of community service per year in various capacities.

I have always tried to help people i knew were having a bad time making ends meet. I think most people are modest about talking about the good things they do for others. It is done for kindness not for glory.

I like to think the guy who got his baggage at the airport paid for didn't get a plane ticket at all. Because his credit card was declined. Sure maybe for the same reason my dad's was when I ordered the parts for my/this computer all at once which totaled over 700 dollars last September. But maybe he went over his limit and simply couldn't afford a ticket and now some stranger accidentally said "Well you can't go, but your clothes can!" by their actions. Also you get a free checked bag on most airlines aside that super cheap, super crappy airline. Plus if you need more then one checked bag, your doing something wrong in most situations.

(I think I may be a glass half empty kinda person.)