Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Potty Training at what age..

Default Potty Training at what age..

Being some one who was forced potty trained, forced out of diapers to early, being 3 at the time.

Kids who are taken out of diapers to early, no matter what their age is are the ones who end up having potty accidents in school.

there needs to be a disclaimer to the rule the " kids must be potty trained to start school" There are kids who have medical problems and do wear diapers to school. They go to regular classes like every one else.

Some kids even as young as 2 will rip their diaper off because they don't like the feel of a wet or messy diaper, these kids are ready for potty training.

Having a set age for potty training I don't think really works for all. I think the child their selves are the ones who will know when they are ready or want out of diapers. A child must be out of diapers at predetermined age is a taboo.

Their are kids who do not know until they are older how to control their bodily functions. If a child is still in diapers a 4,5 or even 6 it would be because they have not yet learned how to control those functions. Some may never have full control of them. I myself was one of those kids.

My teachers told me wait until the child's ready. Of course after 5 i'd start pushing more and more for the child's own protection from schoolmates.

Quote Originally Posted by krone6 View Post
    My teachers told me wait until the child's ready. Of course after 5 i'd start pushing more and more for the child's own protection from schoolmates.
    From my own experience kids that are diapered are teased less then those who wet their pants. I am a long time member of the Pants wetting club. It is not a club that anyone should be in.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyrallen View Post
    From my own experience kids that are diapered are teased less then those who wet their pants. I am a long time member of the Pants wetting club. It is not a club that anyone should be in.
    That is interesting then the kids who wear diapers vs wet pants part. So in your opinion you'd keep a child in diapers even after school starts and tell the teachers he or she wasn't ready to potty train rather than start trying more and more after their 5th birthday?

Been told I was day trained a couple months before my second birthday. Knowing my mother the training was strict. Whatever, I made up for it by wetting the bed into my ninth year. In all seriousness, I suspect bed wetting was subconscious rebellion to early rigid potty training.

I am not really sure what age is best to potty train. My mom trained all 5 of her children by the time they were two. Only one kid had bed wetting issues past 4. And that was cause she was such a deep sleeper. I am the only child that ever had ABDL tendencies. I personally think I will base it on each of my kids readiness but by three it is pretty gross changing their diapers.

That is interesting then the kids who wear diapers vs wet pants part. So in your opinion you'd keep a child in diapers even after school starts and tell the teachers he or she wasn't ready to potty train rather than start trying more and more after their 5th birthday?
    I can only speak for myself, I would much rather gone through the short term teasing of wearing a diaper than to go through the endless teasing I got for being a pants wetter. For me there wasn't a year that I didn't have at least one pants wetting, including my last year of school at 19.

Mine turned out to be a medical problem that was never caught.

My point is that there is no set age for a child to learn how to control those functions.

I was adopted at the age of 2, so I have no idea what was being done to me before adoption. I know I was still in diapers when my parents adopted me, so I guess they completed the task, probably when I was 3.

Would you let your child suffer the the taunting and teasing of being a pants wetter or would use protection for that child. Today kids can use Good-Nites or pull ups now. No kid should suffer because of something they have no control over.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I was adopted at the age of 2, so I have no idea what was being done to me before adoption. I know I was still in diapers when my parents adopted me, so I guess they completed the task, probably when I was 3.
    I was adopted at birth. They say I was trained at 3, but I realty never had full control over my bladder.

I don't think there should be an age that someone should be trained by. It depends on the child. I would never advocate forcing, humiliating, or embarrasing a child into continence. It's just a recipe for possible issues later one.

BinkyGirl's comment about "it is pretty gross changing their diapers" gave me a thought of why it is done so early and also forcefully. Most parents find handling human waste nasty so it is common for parents to want to get their children trained as soon as possible.

I'm sure there are also parents who want to train prior to the child going to school. The inconvience of handling diapers at school, other children being cruel in their comments, and I'm sure there are schools out there that require it.