Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 70's Music: What are YOUR favorites?

Default 70's Music: What are YOUR favorites?

In another thread, 11hinzvic commented that some friends of his didn't appreciate his affinity for 70's music. My response was as follows:

Hey, 11hinzvic, what's wrong with 70's music? Don't let your friends ever make you stop listening! We had the best (Who, Stones, Band, Creedence, Zeppelin), the worst (disco: enough said), the silliest ("Convoy," "The Pina Colada Song"), and the ones that make the most aggressive earworms ("Julie Do Ya Love Me?", "Playground In My Mind"). What other decade can claim all of that? :-)

Zipperless at that point noted that I had left out both Queen and the Eagles, and of course he was completely correct; I had not meant to be all-inclusive. But it occurred to me that, rather than hijack the thread we were in (which was a greetings thread after all), I should just make a new one.

So...

What's your nomination for:

Best 70's song?
    Worst?
    Most Mesmerizing?
    Biggest Earworm?
    Silliest?
    Most Rocking?
    Most Disappointing?
    Most Surprising?
    Most Unlikely?
    Best One-Hit Wonder?
    Best Story Song?
    Guilty Pleasure(s)?

Other than those you've already mentioned, who were your favorite artists (max=10)?

Here are mine:

Best 70's song?
    Desperado/The Eagles (I mean, if I had to pick just one)
    Worst?
    Disco Duck/Rick Dees (or any of his insipid Q&A song-snippet compositions)
    Most Mesmerizing?
    From the Beginning/Emerson, Lake and Palmer (although my Genesis and Moody Blues internal alarms keep going off...)
    Biggest Earworm?
    Playground in My Mind/Clint Holmes (just thinking about this one makes me cringe)
    Silliest?
    The Streak/Ray Stevens (this was a hard choice)
    Most Rocking?
    Black Dog/Led Zeppelin (so many choices here)
    Most Disappointing?
    Shattered/Rolling Stones (come on: the Stone succumbed to disco?)
    Most Surprising?
    In a Broken Dream/Python Lee Jackson (I seriously was shocked that Rod Stewart could make me feel this much)
    Most Unlikely?
    Werewolves of London/Warren Zevon (werewolves ripping people apart? in a fun little pop song?)
    Best One-Hit Wonder?
    Vehicle/Ides of March; Brandy (You're a Fine Girl)/Looking Glass
    Best Story Song?
    Taxi/Harry Chapin (or almost anything by Harry Chapin)
    Guilty Pleasure(s):
    Tony Orlando and Dawn; Bread; ABBA

Who were your favorite artists not yet mentioned (max=10)?
    The Carpenters (really), The Guess Who, Creedence, Three Dog Night, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Cat Stevens, Blondie, Pat Benatar, Queen

My favorite as "The night Chicago died" by Paper-chase, and "Billy don't be a hero". They are also my Earworm.

I loved the Carpenters, Captain and Tineal, Electra light orchestra, Henry Mancini, Ray Stevens, and????.

It is hard to pick a "Style" because each type had a couple that I likes. Mostly I was into the classical type stuff especially Arther Fiddler and the "Boston Pops".

Quote Originally Posted by egor View Post
    My favorite as "The night Chicago died" by Paper-chase, and "Billy don't be a hero". They are also my Earworm.

I loved the Carpenters, Captain and Tineal, Electra light orchestra, Henry Mancini, Ray Stevens, and????.

It is hard to pick a "Style" because each type had a couple that I likes. Mostly I was into the classical type stuff especially Arther Fiddler and the "Boston Pops".

The night that the light went out in Georgia.
    Harpy Valley PTA

Astra

I don't listen to a ton of 70s stuff, but Aqualung by Jethro Tull is a pretty good album. I also love Kashmir, great song by LedZep

my all time favorite 70's song has to be "Born for adventure" by Styx

my favorite 70's artists include Styx, AC/DC, the Eagles, and the Doors. most of my favorites are 80's bands though.

Ah, the 1970s... It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way*

Best 70's song?
    Life on Mars - David Bowie
    Worst? Save All Your Kisses For Me
    Most Mesmerizing? I Feel Love - Donna Summer
    Biggest Earworm? I Got The... - Labi Siffre (an instrumental earworm for a change)
    Silliest? A Taste of Aggro - The Barron Knights
    Most Rocking? Bomber - Motorhead
    Most Disappointing? since I was born in the 1980s, I don't have to be disappointed by anything 70s, I merely look upon it with the enormous condescension of posterity.
    Most Surprising? Wuthering Heights - Kate Bush (I think everyone was surprised by this - Punk may have been shocking, but surely no-one expects a no.1 inspired by a Bronte sister)
    Most Unlikely? When An Old Cricketer Leaves The Crease - Roy Harper w. Grimethorpe Colliery Band (I'm not sure this is so unlikely, but what is an unlikely song anyway? Much as I love 'Werewolves of London' post Rocky Horror, it seems an obvious move)
    Best One-Hit Wonder? Spirit In The Sky - Norman Greenbaum (with stiff competition from Are Friends Electric? - Tubeway Army and Uptown Top Ranking - Althea & Donna)
    Best Story Song? My Old Man - Ian Dury
    Guilty Pleasure(s)? Hotel California - Eagles

* in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

Quote Originally Posted by ICkaraokegirl View Post
    Hey, 11hinzvic, what's wrong with 70's music? Don't let your friends ever make you stop listening! We had the best (Who, Stones, Band, Creedence, Zeppelin), the worst (disco: enough said), the silliest ("Convoy," "The Pina Colada Song"), and the ones that make the most aggressive earworms ("Julie Do Ya Love Me?", "Playground In My Mind"). What other decade can claim all of that? :-)
    You're right, nothing is wrong with 70's music. I should have added that they say this in jest. We kid around alot about others music. One made mention that he and his friends became enamored with back street boys in college. Of course, we kid him about that, but also in jest. I should remember to add more context to my posts.

The worst "Disco", now I'm embarrassed, because a bought Bay city roller's Saturday night on 45RPM. I can't believe I did that.
    The silliest "Convoy", ha ha, yeah I actually bought that one on a 45RPM, can you believe it?

The album that I like the best has to be Pink Floyd's Dark side of the moon.

I would like to add an honorable mention Best story Song and Most Unlikely Hit for "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" by Gordon Lightfoot.

Well, so many to choose from and so many categories. I thought you would ask for just fav song and artist. Warning and spoiler alert: Queen fan, so heavily biased

Best 70's song? Bohemian Rhapsody, Queen
    Worst? Major Tom by David Bowie. Sorry - can't stand it.
    Most Mesmerizing? Afternoon Delight - Starland Vocal Band
    Biggest Earworm? Walk This Way by Aerosmith (amongst many others)
    Silliest? I'll go along with The Streak as well. Some people I know did it *whistles nonchalantly*
    Most Rocking? Brighton Rock by Queen (youtube it)
    Most Disappointing? Night Fever - Bee Gees
    Most Surprising? Brand New Key by Melanie
    Most Unlikely? Any Barry Manilow song
    Best One-Hit Wonder? Black Betty by Ram Jam
    Best Story Song? Come Sail Away - Styx and American Pie by Harry Chapin
    Guilty Pleasure(s)? Carpenter's all the way. They were my first album. Loved "On Top of the World" (still do). Also Olivia Newton John

Other than those you've already mentioned, who were your favorite artists (max=10)?
    Queen, Queen, Queen...Ok. Just kidding. Eagles, Bob Seger, Eric Clapton, Chicago, Three Dog Night, The Who, Kansas, Journey, Billy Squier and Van Halen.

And now, a cute parody:

Last edited by Scaramouche; 04-Aug-2013 at 00:57.