Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your experience with ignorance and how to deal with it

Default Your experience with ignorance and how to deal with it

It's rare that a friend or family member would see me get mad at anyone or anything (maybe a football game or something). But there are a few things that frequently make me mad, if only for a few minutes. One of those things is ignorance. I see it on forums and in person every day. The ignorance I experience ranges from people judging me to people saying something so stupid thinking that it was an intelligent thing to say.

With that said I have two questions:

1.Why are people content with being ignorant.
    2. Would you like to share an experience you had with a case of ignorance?
    (I would like to hear.)

I think America has become a country in which it has become impossible to tell, often, when one is ignorant. Many of us who consider ourselves truly informed, who seek out multiple independent sources to verify information, who try to understand an issue before formulating an opinion on it, who hear something that seems, well, let's be nice and say highly unlikely and--even though it may agree with our political perspective--our first thought is to be skeptical of it instead of leaping up in outrage, we often fail to understand the simple truth that most people are not this discerning. Most people, even educated people, can very easily lock themselves into a belief system. And in America these days that belief system can be reinforced day after day by their chosen news sources.

The left wing is guilty of this to some extent, but there are still many on the left who care about truth. OTOH, the right wing has made it into a kind of religion, and Fox News is their Vatican. It is mind-boggling to watch/read the utter ideological crap that comes out of that network in the pretext of news. Last week the Muslim author of a new historical book about Jesus--a man who hold a PhD in Biblical Studies and is a university professor--was interviewed about his book on both Fox and The Daily Show. Want to guess which one actually discussed the content of the book? Want to guess which one spent the entire nine minute interview discussing why a Muslim would write about Jesus, as if that has any relevance at all? (Hint: it was the same interviewer who, a few months ago, did not ask her guest, a Christian author, why he wrote a book about Islam.)

Fox is also widely known for its malicious ignorance about transpeople. And don't even get me started on political matters.

However, Fox alone is not the problem here. The problem is an American population that is far too willing to accept whatever it sees or hears as "truth." We have stopped being critical of information. We have lost our understanding that we can be manipulate. The ignorance you speak of is sometimes willful, sometimes just habitual. Either way, it is an ignorance that we have grown into in this country over the last few decades and for which we should be ashamed.

Cherub

Quote Originally Posted by ICkaraokegirl View Post
    The problem is an American population that is far too willing to accept whatever it sees or hears as "truth." We have stopped being critical of information. We have lost our understanding that we can be manipulated.
    That pretty well summed up what I wanted to say. I guess the cliche is correct Ignorance is bliss, even if it IS willfully chosen and never challenged.

Good points there. In a world where most of the news is about celebrities and their bathing suits its easy to see how the media encourages ignorance. It is done by occasionally slipping in some real news about government policies, and even this news doesn't explain everything about the policies. So when only a small portion of information is given out and with people accepting it without critical thinking, those who try to inform others are spreading the ignorance around.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cherub View Post
    That pretty well summed up what I wanted to say. I guess the cliche is correct Ignorance is bliss, even if it IS willfully chosen and never challenged.
    That cliche definitely is correct. It's not fun to know too much.

Cherub

Quote Originally Posted by AstroDL View Post
    In a world where most of the news is about celebrities and their bathing suits its easy to see how the media encourages ignorance. It is done by occasionally slipping in some real news about government policies, and even this news doesn't explain everything about the policies.
    Those that realize what's actually taking place, and try to inform others, are often called conspiracy theorists by the ignorant people.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroDL View Post
    That cliche definitely is correct. It's not fun to know too much.
    Very true, but another cliche illustrates why it is good to know these things. "knowledge is power"

Dealing with my IC problem I have run into a lot of ignorance over my life time. First were the bullies on the school play ground, the one who taunt and tease those of us who have wet out pants in school. Sorry to say but when it happened to me I cried.
    As an adult I have run into some the same types and have just walked away from them and let them simmer in their own stew. Fighting has always been a very last resort only when I true had to defend myself.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyrallen View Post
    Dealing with my IC problem I have run into a lot of ignorance over my life time. First were the bullies on the school play ground, the one who taunt and tease those of us who have wet out pants in school. Sorry to say but when it happened to me I cried.
    As an adult I have run into some the same types and have just walked away from them and let them simmer in their own stew. Fighting has always been a very last resort only when I true had to defend myself.
    "Letting them simmer in their own stew" I like that idea. I usually ignore ignorant people, but when they say something so stupid as in your case I would have no choice but to be that one kid that stands up to the bully that was teasing you.

I love dealing with ignorance. I dealt with that every single day at my mother's house.

That idiot managed to let her cat escape the house one time, and I heard her screaming so I woke up. I opened my window, which opened at the top, and had to be well over 10 feet off the ground. I opened it very, very little, just enough to hear what was going on. She found her cat, brought it in, and went up stairs to tell me what had happened. She saw me window opened, a very small crack, and then blamed me for the cat getting out.

1) Window too high for cat to jump realistically
    2) Window open to small for cat to ever get passed it regardless
    3) Opened it after cat had escaped

She refused to listen to any of that, at all, and continued to scream. Eventually she finally listened and accepted. Then, again, later that day, she brought it up again and blamed me, and then, again, understood it wasn't me. That repeated for a long time, constantly.

"You did it!"
    "No, I really didn't, here's why"
    "LIAR"
    "No I'm serious"
    "Okay"

She's truly someone that I will never live with ever again.

1. It's the internet, somethings going to piss you off and you will find people more stupid then you.

2. It's the internet you'll find things that make you happy and will find people more smarter then you.

Imagine living in central Virginia and having to deal with The Tea Party, hats and all! Because I'm often a minority voice, I've learned to keep quiet and stop trying, at least at work. It's almost impossible to change minds that are made up and don't want to be confused by the facts. Typically people who have strong ideas but no facts to support their beliefs are a source of frustration for people such as myself.

I have a friend in choir who is a conservative Republican, but he presents good if not convincing facts and theories to support his beliefs. We all have a lot of respect for him. I might add that he listens to us as well and is never confrontational. I suppose, that's the difference between someone who believes differently and someone who is just plain ignorant.