Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thunder & lightening

Default Thunder & lightening

Hey all,

Here in the UK, the weather is messed up. One minute it is warm and sunny and the next, it is pouring down and thunder and lightening. And this happens within the space of minutes.

Anywho, I just thought I would ask, does anyone else love thunder and lightening like me? I just love it and when it happens, i am always glued to the window to watch it or outside in it. Or, are you the same as my partner, who is afraid of it and is always curling up into me when it happens or if I'm not there, hiding under the duvet?

It relaxes me for reasons unknown, the same as hearing rain outside when lying in bed.

FlightSimPro

You're late to the party, last Monday the south-west had an epic thunderstorm - lasted about 2 hours non-stop with several bolts a minute. The stuff the country is getting today is pitiful in comparison!

Anyway, the answer to your question is both at one point or another. I used to be petrified of thunderstorms until I was about 11 or 12, perhaps due to a near miss with one when I was younger. Now though I think they're amazing, and it reminds me of the huge amount of power nature can unleash. I always try and watch from a window with a good view if I can.
    A few years ago on holiday in the Alps I watched one from our room's balcony for at least half an hour (we were the middle floors so plenty of stuff above us) until it stopped. I think that's the first time I'd seen cloud to cloud lightning go right across the sky.

You are getting the storms we had here in the US last week. As a kid Thunder did scare me. I was more afraid of the thunder than the lightning.

Ah, yes.
    Were having some strange weather over here right now as well.
    Thunder. Rain. Fog. And its beautiful.
    The perfect time for... basically everything I like to do ^^

I love storms when I'm indoors, hate it when I'm stuck outside getting poured on.

What you described sounds like Ohio!!! LOL!!!

WildThing121675

Thunder don't bother me. But I have a huge respect lightning. My mother would tell us when we were young how she was struck by lightning. She lived on a farm at time and was standing inside next
    to the screen door and got hit. There was a windmill that was less than 50ft from the door and lightning struck the windmill and jumped and hit her. I can sleep good when there's a storm and can hear
    the rainfall.

Cherub

Quote Originally Posted by WildThing121675 View Post
    What you described sounds like Ohio!!! LOL!!!
    WildThing121675
    Having lived in Ohio for 33 years before moving to Wisconsin, I can say that usually Ohio is within 10F (~5C) of Wisconsin.

I love to watch thunderstorms. But I am NOT very fond of them at night, simply because you can't see what's going on. If a funnel could is forming or the clouds are rotating, you can see that in the daytime, but at night, you can't and that's what I don't like.

I've always enjoyed rain and thunderstorms until recently. It seems that since last year, our storms have been considerably more violent. Last year's derecho left us without electrical service for seven complete days. This summer's big storm left us powerless for 25 hours. We've gotten more rainfall this summer than ever before. I can't help but wonder if global warming is making the weather and storms more violent?

Quote Originally Posted by FlightSimPro View Post
    Hey all,

Here in the UK, the weather is messed up. One minute it is warm and sunny and the next, it is pouring down and thunder and lightening. And this happens within the space of minutes.

Anywho, I just thought I would ask, does anyone else love thunder and lightening like me? I just love it and when it happens, i am always glued to the window to watch it or outside in it. Or, are you the same as my partner, who is afraid of it and is always curling up into me when it happens or if I'm not there, hiding under the duvet?

It relaxes me for reasons unknown, the same as hearing rain outside when lying in bed.

FlightSimPro
    I was actually a member of the amateur weather watchers here in Arizona, back when I was in my mid teens. I've always been interested in weather and currently have a home weather station as one of my hobbies. Lightning and thunder? Yes, I do like to lay in bed at night, during monsoon season and watch the flash and then wait for the thunder. Of course, I didn't like it last year when the lighting flashed real close and took out my weather sensors on my station.