Thread: Pacifier ambivalence

Default Pacifier ambivalence

When I decide to sleep with my pacifier, the first hour or so is wonderful. I pop the binky in my mouth, and it's so soft and soothing. So comforting. After a while either my gag reflex kicks in subtly and says, "Please get that out," or my two front teeth go numb. It's kind of too bad, because I really love the security of a binky in my mouth. I'm sure all of you can relate.

Does anybody else have a problem like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Sloggerdydoo View Post
    After a while either my gag reflex kicks in subtly and says, "Please get that out,"
    Sorry, never experienced gagging on the pacifier. I have a NUK5 and it is the most comfortable for me. The NUK5 is an adult sized paci and it fits my mouth a lot better than the NUK3 (baby sized paci) that I used.
    I sleep with mine all night and it stays in place. The only issue I have is that with the paci in my mouth, it causes the saliva glands to become active when I sleep and it end up drooling on my pillow.

my two front teeth go numb.
    I have had one of my front teeth ache. This happens if I get carried away and suck it real hard. It seemed to be worse with the NUK3.

Maybe trying different brands/sizes will help you find one that gives you the best comfort over time.

When I decide to sleep with my pacifier, the first hour or so is wonderful. I pop the binky in my mouth, and it's so soft and soothing. So comforting. After a while either my gag reflex kicks in subtly and says, "Please get that out," or my two front teeth go numb. It's kind of too bad, because I really love the security of a binky in my mouth. I'm sure all of you can relate.

Does anybody else have a problem like this?
    Hi.

In regards to the gag reflex, I have never had that happen to me. Teeth going numb? Never had that either. A few extra details from you may solve the puzzle though.

Gag reflex:

If you have too small of a pacifier, then your tounge will be constantly forward in your mouth when sucking. When you don't want to suck anymore your tounge will return to the default setting, this may be setting of the gag reflex. You might also be confusing the gag reflex with the swallowing reflex. Are you sure you aren't mixing the two up? Swallowing with a pacifier in the mouth is easy, yes, however whenever one is on ones side using it while trying to sleep, you will eventually forget about swallowing and there will be a level of saliva built up in your mouth. It either drains through your open mouth or you will be subconsciously holding it. You need to get used to just letting it dribble out while trying to sleep. Whenever I am sleeping and using my pacifier, if I continually swallow it will keep me awake so I stop swallowing and just let whatever is in there out through my mouth. It will be hard to do what I have just mentioned due to the swallow reflex however over time you will get used to it and it will just be normal to you. If you are using too big if a pacifier for your mouth, the treat may be hitting up the back of your throat causing you to gag. I had a nuk 5 once and it made my mouth feel full and I didn't like it for that reason. Try having a look at different size pacis and see which one is best. I currently have a mam 6+ and it fits perfectly.

Teeth going numb:

This can be only down to one thing. Bitting. If the pacifier is too small in your mouth, you will be bitting down on it to keep it in place. This over time will cause pain in your top and bottom teeth. The pain is a numb sensation which goes away after a few hours of non-use of a pacifier. Is this what you are experiencing? If so, try not to bite down. Again, the pacifier size comes into play. If you are using a too small pacifier, then it will cause you to bite down to keep it in, thus causing sore teeth. Try a bigger pacifier if you have a small one and when the pacifier is in place, try not and bite on it. It is designed for sucking, not biting. If you want something in your mouth to bite and not suck, try a teething ring. When you are sleeping, it may not be possible to control biting or not, heck, I have been told I sometimes look like I am eating my pacifier in my sleep, that would probably be because I am eating something in my dream, however, using a pacifier will be better than grinding your teeth. Finally, sucking on a pacifier may make your teeth sore if you aren't used to it And sucking vigerously. Try using it in small doses during the day and build up to a night time sleep so your sleeping isn't interrupted with these issues.

If you could reply with the type and size of pacifier then it would be great.

FlightSimPro

Oh, Christ. It was made for... one-and-a-half to two-year-olds, I think. It's certainly no nuk-5.