Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: " Only Babies Wear Diapers"

Default " Only Babies Wear Diapers"

I have to wonder how many of us have heard this. Wondering to If some of us didn't become Adult babies because of our need to wear diapers because of our IC problems. Because some time in our lives we heard someone say that Diapers are only fore Babies.

NO Diapers are not just for Babies. We who need them should never be a shamed of using them.

I think the only time I've had it said to me was when I was potty training and even thats iffy. I've heard the saying before, but mainly I've only seen it in fictional diaper stories.

Of course if they said "diapers are only for people who need them" they are technically right.

Nappies are for every one even astronauts wear them and they are the coolest people off this planet . Tho i wear for enjoyment they are a great tool for long car trips.

I heard this back in 6th grade when I wanted diapers. I pointed out there were adult diapers and my parents said they were for old people and people with bladder problems. Then my mom added only handicapped people wear them too.

Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    I heard this back in 6th grade when I wanted diapers. I pointed out there were adult diapers and my parents said they were for old people and people with bladder problems. Then my mom added only handicapped people wear them too.
    Now I would fit every one of your moms categories. I'm over 60, have bladder problems and the main handicap is Epilepsy.

Well i think that parents say that to encourage their child to grow and to reach the next milestone of development. Children at a young age probably get told that they cant do something because they are to young or little to do it. So they want to grow up so they can do more things. So a parent is going to say that diapers are for babies, when there child is potty training for motivation, so the child will strive to being potty trained and take another step to growing up.

I think they just say either due to ignorance about ic or that its easier to tell a kid that only babies wear diapers without having to explain about ic people. It an interesting topic though, i know i heard it a lot growing up, the "dont do X because only babies do it" was used alot by my parents and teachers and it is definitely engrained in my psyche. It does kind of get in the way of me being an abdl, like im fairly happy about who i am and confident in my self (pending on depression) but there are times when i am indulging in my abdl side and i just think "Feck sake what am i doing, i'm sposed to be a grown man here" and sometimes that kicks me out of my abdl state and i dont get the urge for a few weeks. Sometimes it does the opposite when i think to myself "Feck it im happy with who i am and this make me feel good, everything else i do is manly and adults so what if i do this" and then i indulge in being an abdl for longer than normal.

But i wouldnt take it as a slight against being ic i think its just a tool used to help kids develope

I think parents tell their kids diapers are for babies because it's easier for them. If a child sees an older kid wearing diapers or knows about older people wearing them, they will get confused and refuse to quit and it will be even harder for the parents to toilet train them. I wonder how common is it for IC parents to have a hard time toilet training their kids, especially if they have a handicapped child or a child with IC. I remember seeing other kids in diapers and it never confused me because I had no desire to wear them then so I didn't care.

I think parents tell their kids diapers are for babies because it's easier for them. If a child sees an older kid wearing diapers or knows about older people wearing them, they will get confused and refuse to quit and it will be even harder for the parents to toilet train them. I wonder how common is it for IC parents to have a hard time toilet training their kids, especially if they have a handicapped child or a child with IC. I remember seeing other kids in diapers and it never confused me because I had no desire to wear them then so I didn't care.
    I was fortunate in that all three of my kids toilet trained easily, but of course I was completely prepared in the event that any of them did not or backslid. There was no way I would have shamed them or used the "diapers are for babies" line, nor did I ever use that while toilet training them. Diapers are, IMO, a useful tool to deal with an unfortunate necessity. That some of us have that necessity later in life than most is of little consequence, nor is the fact that some of us develop a quirk that links the tool with a personal emotional satisfaction. Babies wear them, yes. But many others do as well. It's tempting and easy with kids to over-simplify, and goodness knows I was as guilty of it as anyone, but I tried to be careful on that front, knowing full well what could happen if I was not.

Quote Originally Posted by ICkaraokegirl View Post
    I was fortunate in that all three of my kids toilet trained easily, but of course I was completely prepared in the event that any of them did not or backslid. There was no way I would have shamed them or used the "diapers are for babies" line, nor did I ever use that while toilet training them. Diapers are, IMO, a useful tool to deal with an unfortunate necessity. That some of us have that necessity later in life than most is of little consequence, nor is the fact that some of us develop a quirk that links the tool with a personal emotional satisfaction. Babies wear them, yes. But many others do as well. It's tempting and easy with kids to over-simplify, and goodness knows I was as guilty of it as anyone, but I tried to be careful on that front, knowing full well what could happen if I was not.
    What did you tell your kids instead while potty training them?

I tell my son he doesn't need to wear diapers. I also tell him if he starts going on the potty like his father and grandparents, he won't have to deal with getting his butt wiped anymore. Same as when I interrupt him to change his diaper.

I do know that there are a few members on here that always been in diapers due to their disabilities Then there are some of us who should have used protection sooner than we did.