Thread: Dry 24/7 Price Point?

Default Dry 24/7 Price Point?

So anybody want to explain to me why a medium dry 24/7 is the same price as a large? The case size is 72 pieces for both. Larger diapers have more capacity and more padding. They are more expensive... and the case size goes down in number. Even though mediums are huge on me, there is a cheap-skate part of me that just wants to buy the large. I suppose no one here knows the answer but I cannot be the only one who has wondered.

The 24/7 production is new in the US, meaning they just set up the infrastructure and haven't perfected the relative production amounts. I'm betting once they start recouping their investment and stop getting shortages the prices will change. This all just conjecture, but it's the only explanation I can think of.

I actually look for the price to go down a little. The cost of the raw materials should be a little cheaper as they should be all US produced. Freight should definitely be cheaper. I just checked the
    XP Medical web site and Dry 24/7's are packed 18 to the pack. Also Gary now has posted a 8/8 availability date. While I was there I ordered some M-4's to carry me over.

ach, a bit late for my latest disposable diaper order again... guess i'm going to order a case of Abenas again,

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverSmall View Post
    So anybody want to explain to me why a medium dry 24/7 is the same price as a large? The case size is 72 pieces for both. Larger diapers have more capacity and more padding. They are more expensive... and the case size goes down in number. Even though mediums are huge on me, there is a cheap-skate part of me that just wants to buy the large. I suppose no one here knows the answer but I cannot be the only one who has wondered.
    If the case is physically the same size, and has the same count of diapers, (and is the same weight?) then it probably has the same material in each diaper. If the padded area is larger, it may be thinner. I've seen a few types of diapers that don't add more padding for larger sizes, they just make the shell larger. So the larger diapers look a bit like those pullups adults are squeezing into, with little patches of padding in the front and back, surrounded by a lot of shell.

Looking at say, xpluses, the diaper count per case goes down [i]considerably[/i when you get to the larger sizes. (36 or 48 for the 4's, 80 for the 3's)

Somewhat OT, I just noticed the new cloth backed L4's are 48 per case, where the plastic are 36 per case.... different size case, or are the clothlike using a lot less padding?

Anyway, so a case of M4 costs the same as a case of L4. L4 gets you fewer thicker diapers. Same amount of product material.

One other thing to keep in mind with some other products is a smaller portion of the cost is going to the materials. Look at breakfast cereal. I heard a figure quoted awhile ago that only about 8 cents of the cost is product. The rest is manufacturing, shipping, and biggest of all, marketing. (think of all those cereal commercials you see on saturday morning tv) I don't know what the ratios are on diapers. I would imagine marketing is pretty small, but things like storage and transport could be substantial. So my point there is that a 20% change in product materials doesn't have to translate to a 20% change in retail price. Heck, look at pop. I can get a 2L for $1.50, or a 1L for $2.00, or a 20oz for $1.75. You're paying a lot for packaging, and also for convenience. (i.e. you're willing to pay a higher percentage markup for a smaller quantity)