Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Doorstep Diaper Service

Default Doorstep Diaper Service

How many of you remember the cloth diaper services that used to operate in most urban areas? I say *remember* because I don't know if any still exist with the vast majority of households using disposables in the US. They were still around in Baltimore as late as the mid-1970s because a friend of mine worked for "Nu-Dy-Per" diaper service on a pickup/delivery route. I remember the trucks were mostly a salmon pink color and had some baby-ish graphics on the sides.

One funny experience (funny now, not too funny then) he had was with a truck with a bad latch on the rear door. He was bouncing down one of the main city thoroughfares with the truck loaded from pickups when the rear door flew open and a sack of dirty cloth diapers landed in the street. Of course, the sack had to come open and soiled diapers were laying all over the place. However, he had to go back and grab up all the nasty diapers because the sack was tagged with the customer's name, and they would be charged for the missing cloth diapers - how many you received and sent back was accounted for. By the time he told me about his experience he was able to laugh about it, but he didn't work for them much longer. A truckload of messy diapers didn't go too well with hot Summer days in the city.

~Pramrider

i know there is this service, local to me, called Midnight munchies (or sometin like that) and they'll deliver anything you want to your door, i would love to call in some diapers. it's mostly a snack delivery for parties, or midnight hang outs

Of course I do not remember them but I do know what your talking about. Except I thought those were gone by mid to late 60s.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
    Of course I do not remember them but I do know what your talking about. Except I thought those were gone by mid to late 60s.
    Trying to do a memory check by associating other events with this one. It could have been very early '70s instead of mid-'70s. I remember he was still with one of the larger city bakeries in the 1968/69 time period when he got married, so whenever it was he worked for them, it was probably pretty close to the diaper service ending.

~Pramrider

There was a place I used to drive past on the way to work called "Happy Nappy" that ran a cloth nappy/diaper service in my home town of Adelaide (Australia, that is.) That was back in the late 90's so I don't know if they're still running, but I suspect such services could on the rebound due to the perceived environmental benefits of reusing diapers (which are possibly not all that clear cut.)

I've got a feeling they might have done a service for adult diapers as well, but can't remember whether that was advertised or just wishful thinking

There's one around the corner from my mom's house over in Oregon. It's odd considering its a pretty small town on the coast. <_>

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
    There were several operating in Chicago in the '90s. They even had adult diapers.

I remember them as well as a kid growing up. It always turned me on as I was an extreme diaper lover even then. I suspect services like that still exist for the said reason of saving the environment. There's a whole group of advertisers on the web that sell cloth baby diapers with their philosophy being about saving the environment. Of course cloth is my weapon of choice because that's what I grew up with, even though I'm still very, very young *cough, cough, lies badly*

There are still cloth diaper services around here, mostly childrens diapers, but they do adult diapers too. You can use the diapers they have, or you can provide your own that you have purchased elsewere.
    Whooo-Hooo a milestone, 100 posts