Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Here we go-Detroit files Chapter 9

Default Here we go-Detroit files Chapter 9

Well gang, it's official. The City of Detroit has just filed for Chapter 9 bankruptcy protection.

Detroit files for Chapter 9 bankruptcy amid staggering debts | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Detroit files for bankruptcy | The Detroit News

I think all of us (referring to Detroiters and those closely following this whole affair) knew this was coming. Kevyn Orr has been diligently setting up the dominoes so that if push came to shove, he could push the first domino and everything else would fall neatly behind it. Obviously the negotiations with creditors were failing, so it was bound to happen.

But yeah, this is the largest municipal bankruptcy in U.S. history. Obviously many people, including me, now have to brace for impact and hope the ride's not too bumpy.

As a fellow Michigander, we all saw this coming a mile away. It's a real shame, and it's going to reverberate across the state. Hopefully things get back on track soon.

Man, talk about a fall from grace for Detroit :/

My one American cousin comes from the area and lived in Detroit for a long time. He ended up moving to Quebec City when the US economy tanked (couldn't find work in Detroit) but he still misses the city. Hopefully things get better, but sadly Detroit's multiple problems are complicated and there doesn't appear to be a clear roadmap on what to do in that sort of situation.

This should've probably happened earlier than now. Really disappointing.

Cherub

I wouldn't be all that surprised if we see other municipalities following the same fate.

Thank god my city isn't the largest america city to file for chapter 9 now.

Suck it Detroit!- signed City of Stockton (AKA mini Detroit)

Why anyone would willingly choose to live in Detroit is my guess. I'm not too surprised that they filed, although I haven't followed the affairs at all. It just seems like Detroit didn't have any money even before they filed.

Quote Originally Posted by KuroCat View Post
    Why anyone would willingly choose to live in Detroit is my guess. I'm not too surprised that they filed, although I haven't followed the affairs at all. It just seems like Detroit didn't have any money even before they filed.
    I willingly moved here ♥

So how does this affect the people?

Quote Originally Posted by Pirouette View Post
    I willingly moved here ♥
    How terrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by KuroCat View Post
    How terrifying.
    I also came from the country with the 4th longest life expectancy and one of the best health-care systems in the world. I still prefer it here ♥