Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Violin or Viola?

Default Violin or Viola?

I am very interested in learning to play but I can't decide between viola or violin. Is one more difficult to play than the other? Or is the only difference in size and range?

They are basicaly the same instrument with the Viola the larger of the two.

Violin is probably better, simply because there is a larger repertoire of works to choose from. Violin has GDAE strings, while viola has CGDA strings. You can think of a viola as a slightly larger violin that is perfect fifth lower.

--sf

Well, for learning the viola, you'd need to stretch longer distances to get the notes that you need, but it has a more mellow quality than the violin which might be more appealing. Viola jokes aside ( ), it is a lovely instrument.

In my opinion, there are too few violists out there, and we need more of them. I'd say to go for the viola

Default Violin or Viola?

Hmm ok, that clears things up a lot, any suggestions on a good starter?
    Ive been looking at the stentor student 2 viola outfit

It depends on what kind of music you want to play. As a Musicology student, I can tell you that there is a myriad of possiblities. If you desire to participate in an orchestra, you might want to go for viola, as there are way more violin players. However, if you'd rather play more modern music or prefer to play solo, you might want to go for the violin.

There are many good violin players that I know of, I don't know any names of violists. If you choose viola, you'd be the first I know of lol. Good luck with which ever you choose.

Well I found this little guy at a pawn shop for $60!! It's never been played, at least as far as I can tell it came unstrung and there was no rosin on the bow whatsoever...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21374206923.301082.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	10.0 KB 
ID:	17767

Quote Originally Posted by TyTy View Post
    I am very interested in learning to play but I can't decide between viola or violin. Is one more difficult to play than the other? Or is the only difference in size and range?
    When i was in school i played both they have deferent tone but much the same just hold both see which one feels the best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by TyTy View Post
    Well I found this little guy at a pawn shop for $60!! It's never been played, at least as far as I can tell it came unstrung and there was no rosin on the bow whatsoever...
    Awesome! That's quite the model you have there. Make sure you know how to string the violin, though. Good luck!