Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cloth diaper questions.

Default Cloth diaper questions.

First of all. before i even start. What is more absorbant?
    A cloth or disposable diaper?

okies. now a few questions about this stuff.

1. What is the difference between "flannel", "gauze", and "birdseye" cloth diapers?

2. whats the difference between night-time and day time? (im assuming thickness and absorbancy)

3. Whats the difference between pre fold, flat, and conture cloth diapers?

Thanks for the info ^^
    and i couldnt find anything in the wiki about cloth diapers..

Flannel is a little more like towel material. I've never used it, but it's soft, but probably not as absorbent as gauze and birdseye. Gauze and birdseye are similar. I think birdseye is supposed to be a little more absorbant than gauze, and may get softer when washed, but can wear out sooner. I think it's birdseye I am using, I get them confused.

I've switched to night time because they are a lot thicker, and since I like to wear to bed, I'm less worried about leaks. I use the Altogether Diaper Co. diapers, and really like them.

I use prefold because I can pin the corners and I'm done. Flat you have to fold a number of ways and make a triangle. I have some contour, and they're good for the day, but there isn't as much surface area to absorb.

As for which would absorb more, disposable or cloth, I don't know, but I can go all night in my night time cloth diaper. You of course will need plastic pants. I us the high backs from Amazon.com. They're great. I wear small as they are tight enough to prevent leaks. Good luck.

I actually learned a lot in that post too dogboy! So thanks!

Despite my decade of expeirance I never tried cloth and do not feel compelled to unless I get the chance easily.

I was thinking of making a cloth diaper thread, but this fortunately came up.

I'm thinking of getting some cloth diapers myself. Can anyone give recommendations for an all in one diaper from a company that ships discreetly?

Quote Originally Posted by sparkmaster View Post
    I was thinking of making a cloth diaper thread, but this fortunately came up.

I'm thinking of getting some cloth diapers myself. Can anyone give recommendations for an all in one diaper from a company that ships discreetly?
    Some listed here http://www.adisc.org/forum/diaper-ta...h-diapers.html

Double-sided terry toweling is commonly available in larger fabric shops on a 1.6m roll, so if you want to try an 'old school', fold-your-own cloth diaper, grab a length of that, cut it into a square and find the biggest safety pins you can. Granted it will fray if you don't hem it, but that takes a while.

Quote Originally Posted by FalloutFox View Post
    First of all. before i even start. What is more absorbant?

okies. now a few questions about this stuff.

1. What is the difference between "flannel", "gauze", and "birdseye" cloth diapers?
    Dogboy was close, but not quite right.
    Terry cloth diapers, much more popular in the UK (I believe) are like the towels that you have in bathroom.
    Flannel is a smooth cotton material, often used in bedsheets, and pajamas.
    Gauze is a loose weave cotton often used in bandages.
    Birdseye is a specific weave similar to gauze.

2. whats the difference between night-time and day time? (im assuming thickness and absorbancy)
    Night time usually have two more inner layers of absorbent material, so are thicker and more absorbent.

3. Whats the difference between pre fold, flat, and conture cloth diapers?
    Pre-fold are generally rectangular with extra layers in the middle looking something like this -=-, although it is usually a 2-4-2 pattern, they require a minimum of folding to be made to fit.

Flat are usually square, either 1 or 2 layers and need to folded in one of many patterns to be made so they fit.

Contour diapers are cut to shape like a disposable, they have central soaker pad like the prefolds, but are even easier to put on.

Thanks for the info ^^
    and i couldnt find anything in the wiki about cloth diapers..
    You're welcome and I hope this helps.

Peachy

If you're going for cloth diapers, I would suggest to buy a normal cotton sheet, or a baby cloth diaper. Baby cloth diapers come in 40x40 cm here (that's roughly 15 inches each side) and they're available in most baby stores. Some online sellers also sell those simple absorbent sheets in 80x80 cm (roughly 31 inches).
    Add a sheet like that as the layer directly touching your skin. This has several advantages:
    (1) You can wash that sheet separately and without any chemical substances (like bleach). Make sure it's white so you can was it at the highest temperature. That way, your skin won't come in contact with the proper cloth diaper, which you may decide to wash with chemical substances (bleach etc.). Less chances of getting a rash.
    (2) Any stains you may leave will be confined to that cotton sheet. I.e. should you have a messy accident (either by choice or as a real accident), or should you have forgotten to wipe well, you'll only have to replace the top sheet and your real cloth diaper will remain unstained.

Peachy

[QUOTE=FalloutFox;139258]First of all. before i even start. What is more absorbant?

The higher end disposables are more absorbant than cloth. Cloth diapers only have the padding to soak up moisture.
    The gel in an X-plus type diaper soaks up a lot of moisture and since its not liquid anymore it cannot leak, only after the gel has absorbed its maximum amount, will there be any chance of leaking.
    Of course, if you have enough cloth layers you can increase the absorbancy, but you might not be able to walk.