Thread: I have a question...

RainbowShy

Default I have a question...

Does anyone know what elective incontinence means? I was reading up on developmental disabilities and it kind of mentions it. I tried googling it, but I got very little results I actually understood. ._. I figured maybe you guys who are IC or whatever might know what it means. D:

Elective incontinence is when someone who should be able to remain continent intentionally urinates or defecates on themselves. It is seen as behavioral problem in some individuals with developmental disabilities. It is a "challenging" behavior like head-banging or screaming out loud in public for no reason.

RainbowShy

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverSmall View Post
    Elective incontinence is when someone who should be able to remain continent intentionally urinates or defecates on themselves. It is seen as behavioral problem in some individuals with developmental disabilities. It is a "challenging" behavior like head-banging or screaming out loud in public for no reason.
    Ohhhhh. That makes a lot of sense. It sounds a lot like what my character in my story is going through. But thanks. ^_^

I have a friend who's adoptive daughter had this. She was sexually abused as a child before taken from her birth parents, and had a lot of emotional problems, including elective incontinence.

I had this early in grade school; I was in terror of using the bathrooms at school after the wall was tagged (this was in 1980) and as much as I tried to hold it, the inevitable happened. Not a conscious desire to return to diapers that I can recall at that point, but the fear of visiting the pediatrician to have him penetrate me with his finger again ended the daytime accidents, though I was still forced to wear a diaper under my clothes in public once due to bedwetting

RainbowShy

Well, I was thinking since my character has a developmental disability, this could come in handy for him. I did look up intentionally wetting and got some good results. ^^ I never really thought to try that, but it does give me some idea.

Your explanation of this seems valid. I myself have Autism & Cerebral Palsy, & to caregivers & teachers this would be seen as a behavioral problem.

RainbowShy

Quote Originally Posted by TCWWITHAUTISMANDCP View Post
    Your explanation of this seems valid. I myself have Autism & Cerebral Palsy, & to caregivers & teachers this would be seen as a behavioral problem.
    Well, first it starts out as my character wetting accidentally at night due to sexual abuse as a child. He gets severe nightmares from his past. He gets put in goodnites and starts attracting a dependence to them. It then causes him to wet during the daytime for no real reason, except maybe not getting to a bathroom when he needs to go.... something like that.

I think you guys are missing the point of intentionally urinating or defecating on oneself. The word elective, in other words and an individual "elects" or choses to go to the bathroom on themselves . This is not the same as having an accident. Bodies of individuals with elective incontinence are most often perfectly capable of holding it. It is strictly a behavior problem. Anything else is just some other type of incontinence. Perhaps functional incontinence.

At any rate. Good luck with your story AutisticChessie.

[QUOTE=ForeverSmall;1076904]I think you guys are missing the point of intentionally urinating or defecating on oneself. The word elective, in other words and an individual "elects" or choses to go to the bathroom on themselves . This is not the same as having an accident. Bodies of individuals with elective incontinence are most often perfectly capable of holding it. It is strictly a behavior problem. Anything else is just some other type of incontinence. Perhaps functional incontinence.

At any rate. Good luck with your story AutisticChessie. [/QUO

-------------------------------------------------------------------

@ForeverSmall

Functional Incontinence is the term I've heard used, too.