View Poll Results: How do you prefer to describe yourself?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • "AB" / "Adult Baby"

29 35.37%
  • "Ageplayer"

1 1.22%
  • "Little" (or LB/LG/lifestyle little)

23 28.05%
  • "Infantilist"

5 6.10%
  • Another term

14 17.07%
  • I don't care

5 6.10%
  • I dislike all labels

5 6.10%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you describe yourself?

Default How do you describe yourself?

This may be a somewhat unclear topic title, sorry about that. Anyway, what I was wondering.. which term do you prefer to describe yourself, in terms of feeling like a little kid? (If you're DL only, then this topic doesn't apply to you)

'AB' or 'Adult Baby' has pretty much been the standard throughout the community. If you first stumble onto websites and forums about activities like these, you learn that you may be called a DL (if you only like diapers) or an AB (if you like to feel like a little kid in general). The upsides of the term 'AB' are clear: it's short, sweet and discreet, and has a nice ring to it by placing the contradictory terms 'adult' and 'baby' next to each other. A downside is that it's not always accurate, as most AB's actually prefer to regress to an older age, to the point that they would no longer be called a baby. You could solve this by calling yourself an 'Adult Toddler' or an 'Adult Child', but then you'd just be drawing increasingly unhelpful lines. Also, for a lot of AB's, the age they regress to is not set in stone.

The term 'Ageplayer' groups all of the ages together - if you like to feel like you're a different age than you actually are, then you're an ageplayer. It solves the problems mentioned above, but does create a new set of problems: is everyone who behaves like a child at times an ageplayer? If so, than most of my 'normal' friends are ageplayers as well as soon as they start to play tag or hide-and-seek. Also, are you an ageplayer if you're an adult who wants to be 16 again, or if you want to portray an elderly person? That's clearly a wildly different thing from wanting to wear diapers, suck on a pacifier and watch children's cartoons while holding your plushie.

There's a third term that solves both of the problems mentioned above. If you're a 'Little', it means that you regress to a young age, but it's not specified what age exactly. It can be specified what gender you identify with when you're regressed, as in 'Little Boy/LB' and 'Little Girl/LG'. Some people even call themselves a 'Lifestyle Little' to illustrate that being little is not just a hobby or a fetish, but a way to live their lifes. This term comes with it's own problems, though - mostly linguistic issues. If you say that you're a 'little boy' or 'little girl', who says that you don't just mean you're physically small? Also, saying to someone else "I'm a little" might lead to the response "I'm a little.. what? Tired? Hungry?"

Finally, 'Infantilist' is more of a technical/official term, but I've heard people use it to describe themselves as well. If you're into (paraphilic) infantilism, you're an infantilist. Clear, but it may sound a bit too medical.

If there are any other preferred words for 'people like us' that I forgot, please feel free to mention them.

As for myself, I generally just use "AB", although a case could be made for any of the other options as well.

Personally I find labels equally problematic as they are useful!

I feel like a little kid... so "AB" feels a bit too young to refer to me. "DL" sounds a bit emotionless and too object-focussed. "Ageplayer" sounds like I'm just taking part in some kind of re-enactment in an artificial "game". "Infantilist" seems to imply "paraphilic infantilism"... and I don't see my behaviour as being paraphilic or fetish-related.

But "little" sounds about right. Not simply obsessed with diapers, not just an actor in a game, not a sexual fetish... just a quirk of personality...

Sometimes I'd use "AB/DL" as a kind of "catch all" term that encompasses all ageplayers/ABs/DLs/littles/infantilists and the multitude of combinations of such traits/quirks...

We use "Little" but it's not particularly accurate either. When I am in "little" space, I may hug one of my soft toys, or pout and whine around wanting ice cream (or indeed a cigarette or more alcohol...), but I am perfectly comfortable having an argument with Daddy about politics, finance, philosophy and it is also a very grown up and sexual space for me as well. I don't feel "younger" - it is more about allowing the very needy, loving and sometimes innocent parts of my normal personality come to the forefront.

I prefer "little" for some of the reasons tiny and Lily mentioned.

RainbowShy

I consider myself an adult child.its similar to an AB, but being an adult child means I'm between seven and thirteen years old. That's why I chose 'another term'. Basically, it means that I am also a child in the body of an adult. Hence the term 'Adult Child'. However, if you were to look this term up then all you would find are things about adult children of alcoholics or something.

To me, it's very much similar to being an adult baby because I act like a child, not my real age... I have temper tantrums when things don't go my way (Not all of them are meltdowns). I have to carry around one of my plushies with me in order to have comfort. I also SLEEP with said plushies as well. I have to sleep with the light on because I'm afraid of the dark, I hate the feeling of being alone (this really depends though. Sometimes I can handle being home alone or wandering around a grocery store by myself. Other times, I have to have my mom or dad with me when I see my doctor or psychiatrist, or to be there when something bad happens like if I end in the hospital. One of them has to be with me and stay with me.), and I still have invisible friends too.

It's not normal for some of my age to deal with these things.

However, there are times when I can discuss things with my dad that involve disabilities or some other topic that I know really well. My dad is really smart and understands a lot of things I say. It wouldn't surprise me if I could explain to him why I need a pacifier to help me sleep and provide me comfort for my TMJ (which I know isn't permanent but it does hurt every now and then or gets discomfort, especially at night).
    Last edited by RainbowShy; 10-Jul-2013 at 16:47.

I will admit, I voted before reading the exposition. I chose little because I don't see myself as full-out baby, but I can narrow the age down so that term I guess isn't entirely accurate. Therefore I would change my vote to AB, which is the term I usually use anyway.

Gotta say though, with me it isn't about whether I like to feel like I am a different age than I am or not. With me it is that I actually stopped growing up "on the inside" when I was around 4 years old. I am a kid trapped in a growing/learning body and quite frankly don't feel comfortable in it for that reason. The only reason why I act as my physical age demands is because of societal/familial pressures. Hell, even learning that much took a lot of effort haha.

Anyway, to the op, great thread/pole idea. Thx for posting it.

Quote Originally Posted by KidSpike13 View Post
    Anyway, to the op, great thread/pole idea. Thx for posting it.
    You're welcome. I'm really interested in stuff like this. By the way, it doesn't really matter much that you changed your mind. Choosing to see yourself as a 'little' instead of an 'AB' because you don't feel like a baby is pretty legitimate as well, if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by AutisticChessie View Post
    I consider myself an adult child.its similar to an AB, but being an adult child means I'm between seven and thirteen years old. That's why I chose 'another term'. Basically, it means that I am also a child in the body of an adult. Hence the term 'Adult Child'. However, if you were to look this term up then all you would find are things about adult children of alcoholics or something.
    Yeah, seems logical. I mentioned the possibility of the label 'adult child' in the OP, but it's very different from being an adult baby. You still like diapers and pacifiers though, so your age may not be set in stone either. =P I can see why you wouldn't want to see yourself as an ageplayer because you legitimately didn't grow up to some extent. It's not really a play, I guess?

...In hindsight, I may actually be more of an ageplayer than an AB myself.

--

To the other people who voted for another term, could you please elaborate? Thanks

RainbowShy

Quote Originally Posted by Albasion View Post
    You're welcome. I'm really interested in stuff like this. By the way, it doesn't really matter much that you changed your mind. Choosing to see yourself as a 'little' instead of an 'AB' because you don't feel like a baby is pretty legitimate as well, if you ask me.

Yeah, seems logical. I mentioned the possibility of the label 'adult child' in the OP, but it's very different from being an adult baby. You still like diapers and pacifiers though, so your age may not be set in stone either. =P I can see why you wouldn't want to see yourself as an ageplayer because you legitimately didn't grow up to some extent. It's not really a play, I guess?

...In hindsight, I may actually be more of an ageplayer than an AB myself.

--

To the other people who voted for another term, could you please elaborate? Thanks
    Well, I've been told I'm developmentally delayed too. My age varies a lot, and you're right, it's not set in stone. Most of the time I have the mind of an eleven year old, but there are times when my age seems a lot younger because the things I do that aren't typical to others.

I would say im a little becuase it not always a sexual thing for me. Most of the time im just at my house being little. Watching cartoons playing with toys just normal kid stuff. So its more of a lifestyle for me.

For me I would say an Adult Toddler. When I am in bed diapered and with my teddy bear I feel like a toddler . I even like a bed time bottle.