Page 1 of 29 123451121 ... LastLast

Thread: George Zimmerman: innocent or guilty?

skyfoxpup

Default George Zimmerman: innocent or guilty?

I know most people heard this on news but I want others oppions please give me your views

Quote Originally Posted by cronis View Post
    George Zimmerman innocent or guilty?
    I thought that was what we had juries for?

I was locking up to see what he'd actually been charged with, and found this
    Analysis: George Zimmerman Probably Won't Be Convicted of Murder or Manslaughter -- Here's Why

So wait, let's take a step back. If jurors believe Zimmerman followed Martin, maybe even racially profiled him and initiated the altercation, can Zimmerman still legally claim he needed to defend himself and walk free? Yes.

If these jurors have questions or doubts about whether, at the moment he fired the fatal shot, Zimmerman "reasonably" feared that this was the only way to stop from getting beaten further, then they have to find him not guilty.
    I don't doubt that on the real central issue of this case "Did Zimmerman kill Martin because Martin was black?" the answer is yes. That wont be the question on trial though, and therefore whatever the outcome, no one is going to be truly satisfied.

I am not sure that he is guilty of murder 2, but the key for me is, he got out of his car and stalked Martin when he was asked not to by the 911 dispatch. If he would have waited for the cops he wouldn't be on trial and he wouldn't have blood on his hands. He put himself in a situation where, for all we know, Martin felt afraid for his life and was acting in his own self-defense.

That raises the question: Would we- as in, any facet of the media or society- be givng Trayvon Martin the benefit of the doubt if he had shot and killed George Zimmerman?

Quote Originally Posted by MsClaraRiddle View Post
    I thought that was what we had juries for?

I was locking up to see what he'd actually been charged with, and found this
    Analysis: George Zimmerman Probably Won't Be Convicted of Murder or Manslaughter -- Here's Why

I don't doubt that on the real central issue of this case "Did Zimmerman kill Martin because Martin was black?" the answer is yes. That wont be the question on trial though, and therefore whatever the outcome, no one is going to be truly satisfied.
    Agreed. I have no doubt that this was very much a racially-motivated killing. Whether Zimmerman will be convicted of some violation of Florida law remains to be seen. I highly doubt it, since these "Stand your ground" laws and castle laws have been loosened all across the country. I mean, here in Michigan the law now reads in a way that one can pretty much kill anyone anywhere on one's property with impunity. All one has to do is make sure the bullets go in the front and say he was scared to be on the right side of the law it seems, and as long as one makes sure the other guy's not alive to testify against him, he'll probably skate. From what I've seen and heard about the Florida stand your ground law, it sounds like Zimmerman did it right*. Bullets in the front, said he was scared, and made sure the other guy wasn't alive to testify.

*By right, I do not mean that Zimmerman's actions were anything short of terrible and reprehensible. I mean that if he was going to kill someone (Trayvon Martin) deliberately, he did it in such a way that he stands a good chance of getting away with it.

I think Zimmerman will be found guilty on a lesser charge. The voice recording seems very inconclusive. Both sides have witnesses telling very different stories. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended in a hung jury with no verdict. I personally think they were both doing something that they shouldn't have; two destinies tragically meeting under bad circumstances. Either one of them could have walked away from this, but neither did. Instead they ran head on into a fatal conclusion.

This is not a stand your ground case. It never has been.
    The evidence in this case have clearly shown reasonable doubt as to guilt.
    Honestly this seems like a media inspired case than anything else. So much useless editorializing by people claiming to give us the news.
    I could go on for hours, but I'd rather point out real news. 21 dead in Nigeria school shooting eh? Nada peep on the news.

skyfoxpup

Quote Originally Posted by incontinentGM24 View Post
    Honestly this seems like a media inspired case than anything else. So much useless editorializing by people claiming to give us the news.
    I could go on for hours, but I'd rather point out real news. 21 dead in Nigeria school shooting eh? Nada peep on the news.
    Exctly if you look at things from different views you see attrosites that are ignored constantly. Baiscly everything is how much atention can we get. For example metaforicly if someone hacked in to this site found out where we lived and killed each and everyone of us no one would care we would be just anothet stacticse we would get no more than a side note

Quote Originally Posted by cronis View Post
    Exctly if you look at things from different views you see attrosites that are ignored constantly. Baiscly everything is how much atention can we get. For example metaforicly if someone hacked in to this site found out where we lived and killed each and everyone of us no one would care we would be just anothet stacticse we would get no more than a side note
    I tend to think that a mass murder of a forum would get coverage. I enjoy the thought though.

Quote Originally Posted by incontinentGM24 View Post
    A) Americans tend to care about very little past our borders, B) It's in a place that I suspect a sizable minority or even a slight majority of Americans could not locate on a map, let alone give half a shit about, and C) We have our own school shootings all the time. I fail to understand why one in Nigeria should be front-and-center on our radars.

Back on topic, I haven't been following the trial, so I don't know what's going on. I've been seeing reports that the prosecution was not all that strong, but then again, most of those were from sites that have a very clear political bias and have a particular decision they're aiming for.

That this debate can even be had astounds me to be honest. If this had happened in the UK and the trial was in progress (in fact, after being charged is all that matters) every post in this thread would have to be very careful not to put themselves in contempt of court.

I know our justice systems are quite different and you do not have the same restrictions on discussing current cases, but I am always left wondering "Isn't this what the Jury is for?"
    Let's be honest here, most of the public and members of this forum will be making their verdicts on the basis of a small amount of information, cherry picked by a biased media, that they then choose to confirm or disregard based on their own underlying assumptions or prejudices. This is why we jet juries decide with more of the information to hand and where both prosecution and the defence are given fair opportunity to present their case.

I haven't a clue if he's guilty or not, but I highly doubt he'll be found guilty of murder. The only direct witness can't give evidence (he's dead,) so if Zimmerman maintains he was attacked and stood his ground there is always going to be reasonable doubt that it was murder.