Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mom found my pacifier

Exclamation Mom found my pacifier

So I was careless with my pacifier this morning and left it on my bed. Needless to say, my mom quickly spotted it and was "What is this?!" and "Did I not love you enough?" So instead of telling her about me being AB, I told her the partial truth.
    I explained that I use it to manage my Bruxism/TMJ and that it works very well (very true). She then asked how I found out about adult pacifiers, so I gave her the vague truth of "the Internet." It didn't help matters that I have my NUK 5 modified to a MAM shield, so I came up with the excuse that the original shield and ring looked too medical.
    Luckily my mom was able to sympathize since she has struggled with Bruxism a few times before and had to spend hundreds of dollars on a custom night guard. Her only concern at this point is that the pacifier could shift my teeth. I explained that wouldn't be likely since it's made for adults, the adult mouth is fully formed, unlike that of a small child, and I alternate between the pacifier and cheap night guard.
    The drawback to this conversation is that my mom wants me to tell my dentist what I've been doing next time I see him to make sure this really is a safe way to treat TMJ/Bruxism.

I don't know when I'll see my dentist again, but i'm super nervous to bring this up. It doesn't seem like doctors like the idea of "self medicating."
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Piplup; 09-Jul-2013 at 00:17. Reason: Gramatical error

Oh my!! I'm so sorry honey. Just don't tell your dentist? Or even do tell them, they can't stop you!

It could be worse, I have a clothe care bears nappy that I keep tabbed together and use as more of a pull up. I wore it one night and got to hot so I kicked it off and just left it under my covers to take care of when I got home from college only to find it in my corner and my bed made...My mum then came in to hoover and I was stuck there awkwardly trying to avoid the fact my diaper was in plain sight and she had not only seen it but moved it. Thank the heavens she acted as if it wasn't there!! I think I almost died of embarrassment!

If your mom bought your explanation, I think you're probably OK. (And now you can use your paci without fear - bonus!) As for her wanting to bring it up with your dentist... I doubt they'll care, or make fun of you, so I'm sure you'll be OK. But if you don't want to tell them, just don't and say you did. You're over 18, so you have doctor-patient confidentiality (a dentist can't tell your parents any medical info without your permission). Just say the dentist told you it's fine. From the sounds of things, you're already pretty much in the clear - so enjoy your paci!

Yeah, it seems like if your mom bought the explanation you told her, you seem to be in the clear with her.

The dentist on the other hand, I'd be honest and tell them the "truth" as it were about you and your pacifier, I'm sure they'll understand, they have to be professional with their job and how they handle their patients and the confidentiality behind what they say, so unless you WANT then to tell your parents, it should be all good

Another thing, even if you do discuss this with your dentist, since you are an adult, they are bound by doctor-patient privilege. You can speak to him alone about it and he cannot tell your mom anything. Who knows, he might even concur that it helps with your condition.

Edit: Shoulda read the post above mine first )

toujoursbb

And your mom is probably smart enough to act like if she bought your explanation even if it was not the case. She loves you, and as a mom she has act accordingly. Let alone that perhaps many humans have their special side and at her age, she already should know that.

[removed]

Quote Originally Posted by Piplup
    Mom found my pacifier
    As far as this goes: I've asked my dentist if my teeth have showed ANY shifting in the past two to three years. Based on dental photos he said that my teeth are fine and still in the same position. He asked me why and I told him that I have used a pacifier to deal with snoring. He replied that he had never heard of it, but when I explained how it worked, he commented he found it actually very plausible to work.

From what I've read in my research about the NUK for older kids and adults, I know that they are made to shape like your own mouth. Therefore the teat is hollow and the air can be squeezed from it without too much effort.
    The NUK pacifiers are made to help people with any oral problems, like speech impediments due to muscle problems that can be cured, teeth grinding and, of course, snoring. Man, I wish my dad would believe that pacifiers can relieve snoring for 87% of the users (whenever he snores, I'm glad to be sleeping one floor above and not in the room next to him).
    I can even tell you this: research from a Technical University in the Netherlands - I thought it was Delft - have tried to design a mouthpiece that would keep the tongue from touching the palate when an adult is lying on his or her back. The model of their conclusion was suspiciously resemblant to an adult-sized pacifier. They also claimed that an actual pacifier would yield more or less the same results.
    Too bad I don't have the source for this research anymore.

Anyhow, since you mentioned an oral condition and you are a girl, you can easily pass off your pacifier usage - as well as wanting a cute shield while you're at it. Mind that you might need to focus a bit more on where you keep your "cubbing-out gear", so to speak. If your mom would find diapers, for instance, you can not explain this in any way and you'll have to go all out on telling her. There is no way to talk yourself out of wearing Cushies >.<

However, as long as your mother believes you and is satisfied with your explanation - which I believes she is - there is nothing to be worried about. Just make sure you don't raise any suspicion in the near future, be it through yourself or through your boyfriend. Be sure to inform him on your mother finding your pacifier and be careful when you're having playtime with him. I don't know how you guys do this, but you mother should on no occasion find out. Of course, you guys already knew this, but a wake up call now and then doesn't hurt, does it?

Good luck, and if you need any advice, drop me a message
    Last edited by Nihlus; 09-Jul-2013 at 20:46. Reason: Removed reference to deleted post

Quote Originally Posted by MattiKins View Post
    Another thing, even if you do discuss this with your dentist, since you are an adult, they are bound by doctor-patient privilege. You can speak to him alone about it and he cannot tell your mom anything. Who knows, he might even concur that it helps with your condition.

Edit: Shoulda read the post above mine first )
    I never heard of this. I guess I'll have to find the courage to tell my doctor or dentist about this and see what they think when the time comes.

[removed]
    Last edited by Nihlus; 09-Jul-2013 at 20:47. Reason: Removed reference to deleted post

Quote Originally Posted by Vexxus View Post
    [removed]

As far as this goes: I've asked my dentist if my teeth have showed ANY shifting in the past two to three years. Based on dental photos he said that my teeth are fine and still in the same position. He asked me why and I told him that I have used a pacifier to deal with snoring. He replied that he had never heard of it, but when I explained how it worked, he commented he found it actually very plausible to work.

However, as long as your mother believes you and is satisfied with your explanation - which I believes she is - there is nothing to be worried about. Just make sure you don't raise any suspicion in the near future, be it through yourself or through your boyfriend. Be sure to inform him on your mother finding your pacifier and be careful when you're having playtime with him. I don't know how you guys do this, but you mother should on no occasion find out. Of course, you guys already knew this, but a wake up call now and then doesn't hurt, does it?

Good luck, and if you need any advice, drop me a message
    Thanks Vexxus, you're the best!
    You post made me feel better about telling my dentist. Doctor-patient confidentiality is a beautiful thing!
    I won't ever have to worry about my mom finding my other baby things as I keep them all at my dad's house, where I have much more privacy. The only thing I take there with me is my pacifier.
    Also, thanks for informing MomDanlyn about my relationship status.
    Last edited by Nihlus; 09-Jul-2013 at 20:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Piplup View Post
    that my mom wants me to tell my dentist w.....

It doesn't seem like doctors like the idea of "self medicating."
    Any advice would be appreciated.

You are 22, thus completely irrelevant to where you live, you are an ADULT by law... YOUR MOM HAS NO BUSINESS DISCUSSING YOUR MEDICAL STUFF WITH YOUR DOCs...
    I mean, honestly: NO BUSINESS AT ALL.
    If it's the same doc since childhood and HE ACTUALLY DISCUSSES STUFF WITH YOUR MOM About you, he's in complete violation of trust (actually dentists, nurses, docs... they're all bound to confidentiality in medical matters... unless you give them the written permission to share something)...

So first tell your mom, that whatever you do, she has no right to discuss this with YOUR DOC.... that's a harsh transgression if she does it.
    I mean When I was 18 (actually even earlier, but that wasn't entirely lgellay binding for the doc), even though my family knew my urologist (of course, as I have been dealing with IC issues my entire life), he would NEVER discuss anything with my parents at any rate... and I've long since told my parents (actually when I was like 15 ) that I'm not ok with them discussing stuff about me, behind my back with my Urologist - concerned or not... my body, my problems and I need some space / privacy. after a bit, they accepted it (and a bit later I moved out anyhow).

And your doc can like / dislike your "self medication" as much as he pleases - he doesn't "own" you, he doesn't have the power to "command you to stop". ... he can and he SHOULD give you ADVICE on these matters.
    So if you do something that's medically unwise, he should quite well point it out and maybe discuss options / alternatives...
    But quite certainly you're free to do what you want in these matters.
    Last edited by HogansHeroes; 10-Jul-2013 at 00:35. Reason: fixing quote tag