Thread: UK NEWS: Anyone sick of this ongoing madeline mcann case?

Angry UK NEWS: Anyone sick of this ongoing madeline mcann case?

I mean seriously i dont mean to OFFEND anyone but this girl went missing before the frickin stoneage and they are still plastering the crap over the papers every 6 months.

Kids go missing of all ages every day!! Why make an exeption for this little girl?

I know its hard for the parents but they just dont have to plaster it over the papers and make a deal out of it...

Please be civil. Please air your opinions

On the one hand, she's clearly not coming back, (if she does it will be a miracle) and I find the ongoing media attention rather cynical...

however I think it serves one function that may be useful:
    kids do go missing every day, and we never hear anything about it except the "missing persons" poster in the supermarket, some of those kids are runaways, some victims of kidnap and/or murder. The ones that do get in the news are around for maybe a week, sometimes they find a body, sometimes not. What happens to those families that don't get resolved? In the case of the McCann's we get to see. It's horrible, but it's the harsh reality of life. Maybe we need to see it. Just a thought.

Assuming the parents weren't involved in the disappearance, I say just let it play out. This may simply be their way of grieving.

But there are numerous reasons this case is still brought up by the media: the mysterious and undefined circumstances under which she disappeared, the fact that she (or her body) hasn't been found, and that no one has yet been blamed for it all. These make the case an ongoing story and hard to dismiss.

A similar thing happened in Australia. That boys parents were in the media virtually every six months until recently, when they eventually found his body and caught the perpetrator.

Quote Originally Posted by nappiebutt1993 View Post
    I mean seriously i dont mean to OFFEND anyone but this girl went missing before the frickin stoneage and they are still plastering the crap over the papers every 6 months.

Kids go missing of all ages every day!! Why make an exeption for this little girl?

I know its hard for the parents but they just dont have to plaster it over the papers and make a deal out of it...

Please be civil. Please air your opinions

Quote Originally Posted by nappiebutt1993 View Post
    I mean seriously i dont mean to OFFEND anyone but this girl went missing before the frickin stoneage and they are still plastering the crap over the papers tabloids every 6 months.
    Tabloids have to print something to sell the papers and the bottom line is if it makes people read it then they will print it.
    With all the media attention her parents have received they've reached semi-celebrity status and we know how tabloids love to tell us about every twist and turn of celebrities lives.

It is very sad that she went missing, but she is from the only missing child - we just don't hear about all the others because it doesn't fit the tabloids agendas. The sad truth is that she's probably either dead or now unrecognisable at her current age. Catching the culprit is a noble cause, but it should be balanced against how those resources could be spent on more current cases where a positive outcome is more likely.
    I think there are three main reasons she's been covered so much: She's white, it happened abroad so the tabloids can play on their readers' xenophobia if they wish, and the parents were suspects for quite a while so they can play the victim card there as well.

Don't get me wrong, I don't wish to belittle what as happened to them, but they are not a unique case and shouldn't still be getting the attention that they are. I don't think the continued coverage brings any more awareness about the dangers of leaving children unattended than it already has. All it's doing is sensationalising the story and, dare I say it, generating more money for the McCann's.

p.s. If you want a discussion to stay civil and mature then not going OTT with the bold, underlining, caps and italics sets a good example to start. Too many of those things tends to make it look sensationalist.

All I'll say is that the Mcann's are very good at getting publicity and a lot of people help them in getting it.

Considering it's the Daily Express who has an obsession with this girl, they need something to fill their front page other than their bete noir; immigrants, or their other obsession; Princess Diana.