Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: YAY me

Default YAY me

Well just to say i am very proud of myself , 7 weeks ago i made the switch to road biking , today i completed my first cycle event , 63 miles , i did it in 4hrs 45 mins , which i think is fantastic , order the beers please.

The event was called The Virgin Cyclone
    Last edited by deano13; 30-Jun-2013 at 14:20.

Ah, the metric century. Nicely done! I'm presuming the time includes rest stops and the like? Either way, a good ride like that always feels great when you're done. Now you just need to go for the regular century!

My knees are rather blown-out from years of BMX/trails/commutes but in a way I miss it all as it was a serious interest for a long time. I did enter a couple of sanctioned events and got DNFs nearly every time (and that's why there are Department Store Bikes and then there are Bike Shop Bikes) so 4'45" on a 100k is not too shabby. Go OP!

Cherub

I like to ride my bike, but never in a competition. I know I'd be blown away ever time. When I'm tired, I like to stop when I want to, and not have to worry about being flagged "DNF".

Yeah, I ride my usual 7 miles in the morning, and that's usually enough for me, but congrats to deano13. When my son comes to visit with his bike, we ride the 13 mile trail which is enjoyable for us both.

Quote Originally Posted by deano13 View Post
    i was wondering about the terrain. the 100+ miler looks fun (not!).
    congrats, again.
    Last edited by ade; 30-Jun-2013 at 16:18.

Quote Originally Posted by ade View Post
    i wondering about the terrain. the 100+ miler looks fun (not!).
    congrats, again.
    It's a strange kind of fun. It's awesome in the sense that it's a huge accomplishment, and of course one can eat pretty much an entire cow and wash it down with a case of beer afterward and not feel guilty about it. But, it is a long long time on the saddle, and you'll be hurting by the time you get home and for another day or two. It's "good" pain, but it's still pain.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDragonAurkarm View Post
    It's a strange kind of fun....... It's "good" pain, but it's still pain.
    (trust you to quote me before i'd corrected a typo)
    ah, yes, i remember the 'good' pains.
    a pity that, all injuries considered, i've tired of pain. which makes me question how you coped (after the leg and all) with getting back in the saddle?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by deano13 View Post
    Well just to say i am very proud of myself , 7 weeks ago i made the switch to road biking , today i completed my first cycle event , 63 miles , i did it in 4hrs 45 mins , which i think is fantastic , order the beers please.

63 miles?! Blimey! Well done! I can (in my peak of fitness) do about 40 miles before I simply sit down and refuse to move (although that's off-road and there is NO time limit!).

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDragonAurkarm View Post
    It's a strange kind of fun. It's awesome in the sense that it's a huge accomplishment, and of course one can eat pretty much an entire cow and wash it down with a case of beer afterward and not feel guilty about it.
    Ha ha! That really is the best thing about it! You're entire body is screaming, "thank you for giving me a rest, you malicious bastard!", every morsel of food rejuvenates you, and beer tastes amazing!!!