Thread: Evening from a (very) cold Winters evening in NZ

Smile Evening from a (very) cold Winters evening in NZ

I live in the great city of Orcs (Auckland, New Zealand), not the small town of Hobbitses (used to live near there), work in IT (that covers 50% of the population?)

Hobbies include very long car journeys (south island / central north island), fishing, hunting, computer gaming, browsing forums

Reading about other peoples experiences, and finding more information. Always good.

Hey ya, okram!

So it sounds like you surely like New Zealand a lot? ;) I still haven't had the chance to travel there, but I really wish to!

Are you into travelling aswell, since you mentioned long car journeys or rather cruising around and enjoying the landscape?

Regarding computer gaming, that's great! I love well made games too, especially most RPG's and mostly every JRPG ^_-
    Which are your favorite games or perhaps you do have a favorite genre in general?

And since you like to get to know the experience other people made, don't be afraid to share your own one's too! That's always a great thing to do if you experienced something rather unique and to get a overall picture aswell.

Anyway, welcome to adisc and have fun here!

Travelling / driving, scenery.
    We did over 5,000ks in a road trip over the space of 2 weeks - Which included all of the 4 passes over the southern alps.

Favourite game would be Descent Freespace 2, especially with all the pretty mods

And my writing style is short, and very clipped to the point :p

A cold Auckland evening? Try comming to the south island .

Quote Originally Posted by okram View Post
    I live in the great city of Orcs (Auckland, New Zealand), not the small town of Hobbitses (used to live near there), work in IT (that covers 50% of the population?)

Hobbies include very long car journeys (south island / central north island), fishing, hunting, computer gaming, browsing forums

Reading about other peoples experiences, and finding more information. Always good.
    Hey man! Also from NZ, as you can probably gather from the username. :P I'm madly into the outdoors, cars and especially Subarus. Hunting is great fun; got back from a goat hunt yesterday. I'm from Studentville in the South myself. Whereabouts in the South Island have you been? Apart from the Southern Alps.

And yeah, I've been in -14 in Twizel before. Now THAT was cold!

Might not be as cold as it is down south, but its pretty chilly tonight as Auckland goes. As always when it's cold, I'm glad of my footed sleeper

Places I haven't been in the South Island is probably easier- That would be the Catlins, and Stewart Island.
    Spent a fair bit of time in the Abel Tasman, Kahurangi, Nelson Lakes national parks

Want to spend more time tramping further south, but need to get fitter for that

Every time I see NZ in movies, TV shows, I end up going, holy crap, I live here? SWEET.

Catlins are nice; the area is quite different from the rest of the South Island in some respects, but in others it's very similar. Had school camp there years ago. Great place, I'd like to get back some time. I've never been to Stewart Island, or the Nelson region at all, sadly. Would love to go there sometime.

I know, same feeling with movies etc. What's really funny is when I recognise places and think "Hey, I was tramping there last weekend". Depends on the tramp you want to do though, some are quite forgiving and some quite harsh. I'd recommend the Routeburn or Greenstone/Caples or the Kepler for starting out, and then something like Green Lake (Monowai region) for more hardcore tramping.

Something I'd love to do is mountain bike the Heaphy. I'm an avid cross-country MTB freak, and do a bit of racing when I can. Pity it's only open to bikes in the winter, as I'm generally more busy then than in the summer.

Sounds like you're a fairly well-travelled JAFA, certainly more so than me as a Southerner! Mind you, you've got a few years on me too... I only just got back from the under-18 ban.

Catch ya.