Thread: Paci question, night time use

Question Paci question, night time use

Here's a question for people, the topic Plushie and Pacifier Dependance started me thinking on it, is there a good technique to get used to using a paci at night, as i can try and sleep with one in but i will wake up having taken it out at some point during my sleep, and I also get the “cotton mouth” feeling after about 20 min or so of using on

When I first started out using one, I usually slept on my side however that made the dummy slip out a lot so I would suggest, sleeping on your back until you get used to it. Yes, it will take a week or two to get used to having something in your mouth as you aren't used to it, however after the first two weeks you will be used to it and won't have any wreckless nights.

People say that the size of the dummy counts also. A lot of people have nuk 5 dummies, however I have a 0-3month dummy. I have a small mouth and it fits fine. It even stays in at night. I did have a nuk 5 once however I didn't like the way it "filled" my mouth. Made me feel suffocated, however it was taken away by my parents anyway.

In regards to the cotton mouth, I have never had this, I don't think so. By sucking on something, it should stimulate your glands in your mouth to produce saliva, thus your mouth shouldn't be dry but the opposite.

Try using it during the day for a period or two to get your mouth used to it before using it at night. Once you're used to it, attempt a sleep at night.

One last thing, I don't know why but a few people have mentioned about using something to secure the dummy in your mouth overnight. I wouldn't advise this. The reason is if your nose gets blocked up you need to breath through your mouth and if there is something in there blocking the air flow, there is a high chance you can end up jumping out of your sleep in a panic and them scenarios aren't nice.

Have fun exploring with your new toy 😊

FlightSimPro

I haven't had a problem with dry mouth. Actually, when I sleep on my side with the pacifier in my mouth, I end up drooling and end up with a wet spot on the pillow.

Also, I had more issues keeping the pacifier in my mouth when it was the smaller Nuk3. I switched to the Nuk5 and it stays in place all night.

The most important is select correct paci. If is small, or incomfortable, it'll not work. Which one ??? It's difficult to say, because it's a few individual.

As far as gettting used to it, that will just take time. As far as cotton mouth that is cause you are not hydrated enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Talleo View Post
    Here's a question for people, the topic Plushie and Pacifier Dependance started me thinking on it, is there a good technique to get used to using a paci at night, as i can try and sleep with one in but i will wake up having taken it out at some point during my sleep, and I also get the “cotton mouth” feeling after about 20 min or so of using on

thanks for the advice people, I havnt tryed sleeping on my back with it so i might try that, and I actually have a few differant size ones, a 6+ month one, a NUK 3 and a NUK 5, and I have to say, I tend to like the NUK5