Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fun House & Knightmare -- UK TV in the 1980s!

Smile Fun House & Knightmare -- UK TV in the 1980s!

Has anyone noticed that Fun House (with the legend that is Pat Sharp, and his infamous mullet) and Knightmare are showing again on Challenge TV? (Fridays from 10pm).

Does anyone else remember these childhood classics?

I saw an advert for this but I guess my brain didn't truly believe it, I'm a tad old to have watched it much but even I remember the mullet and the 'O so bright' cloths. I'm kind of confused on why its back but I suppose nostalgia sells and it does kind of meet challenge tv's format, I am surprised its being shown at such a prominent time, I'd have thought its too old and childish for 10pm friday.

Yeah -- me too. I guess childish nostalgia is more appealing to the masses than we realised!

I wonder what other nuggets they rejected before choosing this but I suppose it was helped by Pat Sharp going in the jungle and I'm sure there's worse (youtube here I come).

It is the weekend and i know what i am doing

yep, i've been watching them [the shame of it].
    makes me wanna drag out the ol' Sinclair Spectrum. pity that the picture quality suffers in the digital/aspect format.
    the strange thing, is that in this new-age social media-ing, nobody seems to be shouting about their participation in these old shows.

btw, remember how the prizes were fandabbidozy?

here's to hoping that Dr. Snuggles and Chorlton and the Wheelies get re-aired

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ade View Post
    yep, i've been watching them [the shame of it].
    makes me wanna drag out the ol' Sinclair Spectrum. pity that the picture quality suffers in the digital/aspect format.
    the strange thing, is that in this new-age social media-ing, nobody seems to be shouting about their participation in these old shows.
    Ahhh... Did you see one of the prizes on last week's Fun House?! An Amstrad CPC 6128 (I'd recognise one of those anywhere)! I also thought it was funny that the contestants brought along a cow called "Moo" to support them!

btw, remember how the prizes were fandabbidozy?
    Oh god -- I remember finding out that one of the Krankies was a woman! (Not that long ago!) I always thought that they were father and son, not husband and wife!!!

here's to hoping that Dr. Snuggles and Chorlton and the Wheelies get re-aired
    Oh! I'd claim that I never saw Dr. Snuggles... But then... I distinctly remember him bouncing along on his pogo stick in the title sequence!

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    Oh god -- I remember finding out that one of the Krankies was a woman! (Not that long ago!) I always thought that they were father and son, not husband and wife!!!
    i pretty much always knew the score, thanks to the tradition of local panto. but, Bernie Clifton was always one of the best to see live.
    Attachment 17515
    The Krankies just get on your nerves after a while.

i am an unfortunate product of the panto era and the 70s. it even forms one of my regular jokes/put-downs, which i'm sure you've heard before, but here we go again:
    at the end berating somebody and stabbing home the facts of their stupid acts, finish off with, "your life's nothing but a pantomime, isn't it?"
    as soon as they sulkily reply, "no", dive in with a theatrical, "OH, YES, IT IS!!"
    gets a laugh from all around.

I used to watch Fun House without fail as a kid, it was one of my favourite shows.

This isn't the first time that Challenge TV have shown the re-runs though, they do it every so often. Oddly enough however they always show it at times when the original target age group won't be able to watch it. I wonder if they're after nostalgic twenty-somethings instead?

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    I wonder if they're after nostalgic twenty-somethings instead?
    Oh, they're definitely aimed at the nostalgia market! Although I'm in my mid-thirties... wouldn't twenty-somethings be too young to remember these programmes...? Or did they run for quite a while...? I remember Pat Sharp saying that it was 1989 in the episode of Fun House I saw the other day... so I would have been about 12 back then...